Minator Alloy Wheel - Lock Nuts

Hi All, I have Minator 5 1/2" J, 15" alloy wheels fitted with a locknut on each wheel (see attached photo). The lock nut has three pins and on one has gone oval making it troublesome to loosen and tighten up. I believe they are manufactured by TRILOCK and I have a security code which came with the car, but I can find a website to see if they could send me a replacement nut. Has anyone had this problem and an idea if this is possible?

Also some other questions please:

All wheel nuts fitted have an aluminium washer, is this normal and are they special nuts that would be only for the Minator wheels? 

Does anyone have these alloy wheels with a different type of lock nut that is suitable? Once bitten, twice shy !

Thanks and regards,

Colin.

Lock Nut.JPG

4 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

Hi All, I have Minator 5 1/2" J, 15" alloy wheels fitted with a locknut on each wheel (see attached photo). The lock nut has three pins and on one has gone oval making it troublesome to loosen and tighten up. I believe they are manufactured by TRILOCK and I have a security code which came with the car, but I can find a website to see if they could send me a replacement nut. Has anyone had this problem and an idea if this is possible?

Also some other questions please:

All wheel nuts fitted have an aluminium washer, is this normal and are they special nuts that would be only for the Minator wheels? 

Does anyone have these alloy wheels with a different type of lock nut that is suitable? Once bitten, twice shy !

Thanks and regards,

Colin.

Lock Nut.JPG

Hi Colin!

I have those type lock nuts fitted on my car with Cobra Supa Slots wheels I am a bit surprised at the condition of the 3 pin holes? It looks to me that people have been using Air Gun Nut runners at tire centers and over torqueing them? I still have the original box Their part number for a TR6 is WV072 and they were originally supplied by Car Flow Products of Leighton Buzzard. Bear in mind that this info is over 40 years old?

Bruce.

Hi Colin

As Bruce mentioned looks like air gun damage  quite common on these type of fixings you will probably find its just as cost effective to buy a complete new set

I would go for the splined type . Theres two different wheel nuts for alloys one with washer like yours or the acorn type which has no washer just a tapper seat.

Chris 

Bruce/Chris, thanks for the replies. Only occasionally has it been to a garage, so its mainly me that have removed the wheels over the last 21 years.3 Must be me then but they are all slightly oval, so dont want this design/manufacturer again. I was told to torque to 65 ft.lbs is this right?

Chris and all, can someone recommend exactly what and where to buy that would be correct for my wheels on the TR6?

Cheers, Colin.

1 hour ago, c.hydes said:

Bruce/Chris, thanks for the replies. Only occasionally has it been to a garage, so its mainly me that have removed the wheels over the last 21 years.3 Must be me then but they are all slightly oval, so dont want this design/manufacturer again. I was told to torque to 65 ft.lbs is this right?

Chris and all, can someone recommend exactly what and where to buy that would be correct for my wheels on the TR6?

Cheers, Colin.

Hi Colin,

The type of fixing that you have as a lock nut is a lug nut and that may be where you might have a problem? Can you show us in a photo what the other nuts look like as decent lug nuts are quite difficult to come by in 7/16" UNF. The usual type on offer today I believe would not be suitable for your type of wheel? Trilocks' are still being made and I believe that they are now in Thame. Also I think that they have a life time warranty? Its worth a phone call!!!!

Bruce.

12 hours ago, John L said:

A selection here, but no mention of the thread size unfortunately.  https://simonbbc.com/wheel-spacers-adapters-nuts/alloy-wheel-security/

John

Hi John,

You have highlighted my point Trilock wheel nuts are still being sold in the UK. It only needs a phone call to them to sort it out one way or the other? The key issue apart from thread size is the shoulder length of the lug nut which supports the wheel.

Bruce.

19 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Colin,

The type of fixing that you have as a lock nut is a lug nut and that may be where you might have a problem? Can you show us in a photo what the other nuts look like as decent lug nuts are quite difficult to come by in 7/16" UNF. The usual type on offer today I believe would not be suitable for your type of wheel? Trilocks' are still being made and I believe that they are now in Thame. Also I think that they have a life time warranty? Its worth a phone call!!!!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce, here attached is a photo of the other non locking Lug Nuts. All of these also have the Aluminium washer.

Thanks to others for the information updates, so research now required by me.

Regards, Colin.

Wheel Nuts.JPG

26 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

Hi Bruce, here attached is a photo of the other non locking Lug Nuts. All of these also have the Aluminium washer.

Thanks to others for the information updates, so research now required by me.

Regards, Colin.

Wheel Nuts.JPG

Hi Colin!

Based upon your Photo, I have scaled off my original Lug nuts that you have, they are exactly the same Lug nuts that were fitted to my Cobra Super Slots but mine had Chrome plated m/s washers. I have replaced them and the nuts with S/S type made by a friend of mine on his CNC machine because the plating was starting to come off and I could not find a supplier with the correct shoulder length in S/S. I do have a drawing of what he produced.

Bruce.

No help to you Colin, but I went for Minators with splined drive. Stupid as that saves no unsprung weight, and costs more, but I love the look and it's unlikely anyone will knock off the knock-ons (see what I did there?).

John

5 hours ago, astontr6 said:

Hi Colin!

Based upon your Photo, I have scaled off my original Lug nuts that you have, they are exactly the same Lug nuts that were fitted to my Cobra Super Slots but mine had Chrome plated m/s washers. I have replaced them and the nuts with S/S type made by a friend of mine on his CNC machine because the plating was starting to come off and I could not find a supplier with the correct shoulder length in S/S. I do have a drawing of what he produced.

Bruce.

Bruce, thanks drawing would be good.

Colin.

My Peugeot 407 Coupe came with lock nuts. I rotate the tyres every 10000km so they were looking a bit secondhand after 150k km. My dealer recommended getting rid of them as the likelihood of the wheels being stolen was minimal. I feel the same about my Minator wheels so have never had them on my 4A. What else do they fit?

I’ve given up with locking wheel nuts. I think that any miscreant looking to steal wheels will have the kit to remove locking nuts without the key.

These days the whole car is a more likely target than just the wheels.