Aldon Ignitor Electronic Ignition. Any Good?

I'm thinking about trying it out too and wonder if Petronix Ignitor is the same as Aldon.

Petronix Ignitor II is an evolution of Petronix Ignitor, but I'm advised against this, because you need a low resistance coil and in case of a breakdown, the coil has to be replaced too, so you need carrying a spare coil also, when keeping the points and condensor in the car.

I understand that these are the same - though I am sure someone more learned than I can either confirm or deny this!

Whislt I have not fitted Aldon a local tuner (with what i believe to be a 500bhp rolling road?) has recommended this product...

There have been a few similar threads on this subject with many people recomending carrying an old fashioned condenser and set of points.

Brgds

The Aldon in my MGB packed in after 5 years and I came home in the big yellow truck, my oft repeated advice is, if you fit electronic ignition carry the points etc as a back up.

Ron

Edited by ron
Guest GarethWilliamsTR6

I had a Petronix in my Scimitar and it disintegrated whilst overtaking at high revs. If I remember correctly there are 6 bits of plastic/metal, (one for each cylinder - arranged radially) and they flew out under load. At the time I was told that this was the same as the Aldon Ignitor. Hope this helps.

Best,

Gareth Williams

The Aldon in my MGB packed in after 5 years and I came home in the big yellow truck, my oft repeated advice is, if you fit electronic ignition carry the points etc as a back up.

Ron

Thanks for the input lads, guess i'll go for Luminition then :)

Regards

Bob K ;)

Before buying the Lumenition, read the tread on this forum "Back to points and condensor" first.

A lot of people, including me, have had trouble with the Lumenition electronic ignition kits.

A conclusion was that aftermarket electronic ignition kits are not very reliable, contrary to electronic ignition systems that are original equipment. For me the most important advantage is that the ignition time is constant and remains so.I very often check the ignition time with a stroboscopic light and a white dot or line on the crank pulley : more often that not, this marking is wandering, especially at high rpm, or when the engine is very hot, or when the points are not new. With new points and a good distributor, the ignition time can be fairly steady... for a while. Sometimes one spark plug is firing 10° (or something like that) after the 3 or 5 other spark plugs. 10 degrees out on one cylinder is surely worth a couple of bph, idem when the line on the pulley gets 1cm wide in the stroboscope light instead of the real 3mm. Very often, when the points or old and the distributor has worn bearings, the timing (firing of the plugs) is at random in an area of 2 cm wide. How much lost bph(or lost mpg) is that? Back to electronic ignition again?

Bob,

Lumenition is definitely out of the frying pan into a raging furnace. Don't do it! Read the other threads. My 5 is fitted with Pertronix Ignitor, model LU166A, instructions dated 01/03. In 11 months of my ownership it has not let me down, although 2 lots of Lumenition in a Stag and TR7 V8 have. Newtronic (was Piranha) have never let me down.

The Ignitor was fitted by the previous owner and the benefit seems to be that you can convert back to points easily at the roadside if you have to. As for the coil, the Ignitor instructions read as follows:

1. ....for 12v negative ground only.

2. ....compatible with 'points style' coil. Six & eight cyl engines require a minimum of 1.5 ohms resistance...

3......(sic) OK if you have a ballast resistor

4......Caution: never use a 'HEI' type coil with the Ignitor. This type of coil will damage the module, cause it to fail and void the warranty.

This is my first experience with Ignitor and I'm impressed with both the simplicity of installation and conversion back to points provided you carry the bits with you. The problem with any electronic ignition is that if it fails at the roadside and you cannot convert back to points, or you don't carry a spare module then it is time to take a ride with AA Relay. But that issue is also covered in the other threads.

I hope that helps

Ray

PS Were you at the Red Rose Open Weekend? I was but didn't see you.

Edited by raydrink

Yes Ray, i camped @ the open weekend, i was in the dark blue 4A(6 engine) next to Roger

at the top of field with the missus! We've obviously not been introduced.

Am in a quandry now about ignition.

Seen some Aldon Ignitor on E,Bay going cheap, might give one a try.

Regards

Bob K

I've fitted Aldon and am very pleased - takes a few minutes to fit and engine runs much smoother. Pertronix is absolutely the same product as Aldon - if you're going to buy, get it direct from here Retro Rockets and you'll save about £25. Although a US company, they ship from a UK warehouse and it will arrive within a few days. I used the original lucas coil without any problem.

Bob,

I reccomend pertronix and also buying from retro rockets.

I have a caterham with a ford crossflow which i use for trackdays. It lives at 6-7k rpm and since i fitted the ignitor has never missed a beat, I also bought an epoxy filled version of the flamethrower coil, because of the use to which i put my car.

On my 250 i had a luminition system which slowley over a period of 2 years subtly reduced the revs until it was down to 4,5k. So i binned it and fitted the pertronix and bingo back to 6.5k

If you do buy from retro rockets, buy a coil and a set of their leads at the same time, the cost is roughly the same for the whole package as just buying the ignitor in the UK.

I fitted a Pertronix about 2 years ago shipped from the States along with a coil.

My TR 6 now starts first turn of the key accept when it has been standing for a long time (weeks) and even then it only needs a 2 to 3 seconds. I dont think that an ignitor 2 is available for a TR6 at least it wasn't when I bought my kit. Buying from the states meant that I got my flame thrower coil for free compared with UK prices.