Upper wishbone bushes

Afternoon all,

I'm trying to replace said bushes with one-piece poly bushes. Reading the Haynes manual it looks easy! But part way through dismantling, it looks like it's going to be very tight getting the rear wishbone off, and impossible to get back on with a one-piece bush. Ah, just unbolt the fulcrum pin I thought, but it seems the rear bolts don't have captive nuts.

Any tips on doing this with minimum dismantling please? I've searched the posts but can't find a good answer.

Thanks, Brian

Wishbone.jpg

29 minutes ago, Lebro said:

Can you put the empty wishbone back on the fulcrum pin, & then wriggle the Bush in ?

I have only done it with split bushes.

Bob

Bob, I've read that the polybush takes a lot of squeezing in, like in a vice, or pulling it in with a bolt and washers.

Only other trick I can think of is raising the front of the body off the chassis a little to give more room ?

As you say the rear upper fulcrum securing nuts are not captive. When I was changing mine for the Adjustable fulcrums I managed to get a 3/8" drive socket on 2 X long extensions up behind the spring to hold them , but it was very fiddly !

Bob.

I think it’s time to drop the spring pan, spring  and shock, remove the fulcrum and replace the bushes. Whilst your in there, remount the fulcrum with the nuts underneath and weld them into position. They won’t be a problem again! 
Iain

I managed to get the wishbone back with the bush in the wishbone. By warming  the bush in hot water, lubricant and a big screwdriver  to lever it in . It was not too bad but took some paint off on the way. some cars more clearance than others mine was only a problem on one side.

Ewan

11 hours ago, iain said:

I think it’s time to drop the spring pan, spring  and shock, remove the fulcrum and replace the bushes. Whilst your in there, remount the fulcrum with the nuts underneath and weld them into position. They won’t be a problem again! 
Iain

According to the manual one can remove the spring without a spring compressor. Is this doable?

11 minutes ago, ewan2 said:

I managed to get the wishbone back with the bush in the wishbone. By warming  the bush in hot water, lubricant and a big screwdriver  to lever it in . It was not too bad but took some paint off on the way. some cars more clearance than others mine was only a problem on one side.

Ewan

If you look at the picture, there's hardly any clearance for the rear wishbone. I think will have enough trouble getting it off! Will have to remove the fulcrum pin somehow I think.

Thanks guys,

Brian

No you do need a proper spring compressor of the type that goes up through the middle of the spring not repeat not the type that go on the sides of the spring.

Stuart.

Brian,

I can not stress enough that you must use the correct type of compressor as Stuart says, threaded rod through the centre of the spring pan, spring to the turret. Make sure that whatever you use to retain the spring pan can not either slip or pull through and a large enough washer on the turret top for the same reason. 

You might be able to get the spring off without a compressor but you might also loose an eye or a finger or two at best. A spring under tension could take your head off!!!!

It isn't hard just takes a bit of time and you can keep the panted suspension really chip free with the right tools.

Rgds

Rod

17 minutes ago, TwinCamJohn said:

which compressor would you recommend ?

Most of us use a length of threaded rod as described here:

9 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Cut the one piece cotton reel bush to make two top hats and fit as the original was?

I’ll get my anorak 

Peter W

I wonder if that would work? I'm going to continue to dismantle tomorrow and assess. If I need to remove the spring I'll make sure I use a suitable compressor - I think I have some threaded rod somewhere.

Well, I can't even get the rear wishbone off - not enough clearance from the inner wing. I'm now wondering about cutting the old bush off, cutting the new cotton reel bush in half, then slitting one half lengthwise to squeeze over the fulcrum pin. Anyone see any problem with that? Just trying to avoid the faff of making a spring compressor and further dismantling.

I'm considering cutting the other bush in half too, as it just doesn't want to go in in one piece. I'm greasing it, squeezing it in the vice to half it's size and it just flies out...I'll try pulling it through with a bolt next.

Wishbone 2.jpg

Looks good.

Were the bushes hard to get in?, some seem to struggle, but maybe cutting them in half is the best way to do it.

Ralph,

Result !

Great gobs of silicone grease as well I trust   If the bush seizes in the arm and on the pin it may well sheer the pin off   I think it was that reason the  London Taxi Carriage Office were opposed to poly bushes on black cabs  Initially   

Peter W

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
2 hours ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Looks good.

Were the bushes hard to get in?, some seem to struggle, but maybe cutting them in half is the best way to do it.

Ralph,

Yes I tried and failed to get the front one in in one piece by various methods so ended up cutting it in half. Can't see how this could cause a problem.

2 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Result !

Great gobs of silicone grease as well I trust   If the bush seizes in the arm and on the pin it may well sheer the pin off   I think it was that reason the  London Taxi Carriage Office were opposed to poly bushes on black cabs  Initially   

Peter W

Oh yes. The bushes came with a sachet so used half of it.

Cheers, Brian