Continental CT22 tyres

My car was bought by my father 50 years ago and inherited by me, any questions just ask. I doubt you  can come up with an issue that at least one owner on here has not come across and  found the answer to.

Tim

I have just fitted a set of Vredestein T-TRAC2 to my 6 and for a price of £216.75 for five tyres delivered to my house it was unbelievable value for money, in fact the five tyres were the same price as one Michelin XAS..

Derek

Derek - as I am contemplating a change of tyres later this year and am considering the T-TRAC2 in 165/80 size, I have a few questions:

- name of tyre supplier?

- is that cost just the tyres, which you will have to fit (or get someone to fit) to your wheels?

- does the supplier offer a fitting service?

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian,

Camskill deliver to your house. I think it is £12 or so delivery.

https://www.camskill.co.uk/m53b0s408p0/Car_Tyres_-_MPV_Tyres_-_People_Carrier_Tyres_-_15_inch_R15_inch_-_165_80_15_165_80R15_R15_inch_-_165_15_165R15

Any tyre company will fit them etc.

Not as cheap as Dereks but still good value.

How good are the Nankang tyres at the bottom of the list?

Roger

Hi Ian,

I used Camskill as noted by Roger above. I placed the order on the  24th August so either they made a mistake with the price I bought them for or they have gone up in price in the last few days. Carriage was £19.75 as per order confirmation below and I got  local tyre company, Protyre in Carlisle, to fit them including balancing and disposal of the old tyres for £10 / wheel.

cheers

Derek

Vredestein.JPG

Hi Derek,

their prices are quite fluid but usually still very good.  Their price for the Vredstein Classic sprint was going up a couple of pounds per week last last year

I'm still fascinated by the Nankang's as their wet grip and economy looks very good compared to more expensive tyres.

The Vredstein Classic Sprint has very good grip both wet and dry but do not have a classification.

Roger

2 hours ago, RogerH said:

Hi Derek,

their prices are quite fluid but usually still very good.  Their price for the Vredstein Classic sprint was going up a couple of pounds per week last last year

I'm still fascinated by the Nankang's as their wet grip and economy looks very good compared to more expensive tyres.

The Vredstein Classic Sprint has very good grip both wet and dry but do not have a classification.

Roger

Roger though I have no experience with the Nankangs my TR dealer, one of the best known, stocks and recommends them in the 165/80 R15 size and fits them to TRs, and my sister has them on her MGB and likes them very much, better than her old Michelins.  If I couldn't have got the T-trac 2s    then I would have happily gone with their recommendation of the Nankang.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi Guys

Heads up, I have just had an outstanding order for 5x  15 165 80 Vredestein T Trac2  tyres  ordered in early November, promised originally for mid December , then for 10 January 2021 delivery, now  cancelled as  Vredestein  are no longer making them in 15 inch diameter. Curses, at £45 each when the order was placed seemed a good price. 

Seems 15 inch tyres are getting scarce and with Brexit/Covid and limited market we classic car owners might find sourcing tyres difficult in the near and possibly the future.

I have had to grab 5 out of the 10 Continental CT22's currently available  country wide to be sure of being able to shod my TR4A.

Rich

15" tyres are quite widely used (e.g. Jaguars), but it may be that the narrower 165 section is seeing falling demand as owners opt for 185 and 195, and wider still on bigger beasts.

I was thinking of replacing my worn and somewhat dated 195s with something narrower once we return to the road next year, but if 165s prove not be available by then, may have to re-consider options.

Ian Cornish

I had T Tracs on order with Demon Tweeks since mid/ late November myself, and they told me late last week that Vredestein have discontinued the 165/80 15 variant. I searched around other suppliers, many of whom said they had stock, but upon contacting that 'promise' was based on ease of delivery from Vredestein and upon checking all confirmed the non availability/discontinuation. There may be one or two individual tyres still out there, but I needed a set of 4.

Vredestein still show the TTrac2 at the 165/80 15 size on their website so I wonder if they may start making again next year (which was the original advice from the supplier that production would recommence in Spring). They also quote another (similar?) tyre the Quatrac5 - I don't know if this is a suitable tyre as it is quoted as an "All Season" tyre, but they list 15" sizes, but not 165/80.

Like Rich, I ordered 165/80 15's CT22's from Camskill on Friday and they arrived yesterday. I just need to get the local Garage to fit them in the New Year now.

On 9/3/2020 at 4:11 PM, RogerH said:

Hi Coin,

the CT22 hasn't got as good wet grip as a couple of cheaper tyres - have a look here  Tyres

However they are less than half the price og the Vredstein tyres I currently run. Annoyingly my last Continentals squealed like rats being strangled. So I have been put off.

The Nankang look interesting at £37 each

Roger

People take the pith out of Nankang, quotes like, they haven't made a round one yet for e.g. Michelin or Pirelli are about £ 600 to £700 a corner on my red Tomato.

Nankang were £85 each and have been OK for years. Don't knock it folks.

I looked at them too Roger and Pete - but decided on the, hopefully, better quality Continental over the budget(?) Nankang.

I suppose I will never really know if it was the correct decision, unless I bought both and had two sets of wheels to test them against each other.....

Edited by Rod1883
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, RogerH said:

It would appear that tyres that have tubes have smoother inner surfaces.

This reduces the tendency for the tyre to pull the inner tube around against its valve due to tyre creep.

Tubeless tyres have a rougher inner surface and possibly could pull the inner tube around - but is there any actual evidence for this.

Roger

The interior of a tube type tyre is indeed smooth. Tubeless tires have continuous ribs molded integrally into the bead of the tire so that they are forced by the pressure of the air inside the tire to seal with the flanges of the metal rim of the wheel, these ribs run across the inside of the tyre. In reality these do not cause a problem when using a tube, however they can rub through the tube if you do high mileage or use them for racing where the stresses are higher.

• 4 months later...

Hi All,

does anyone have an update on which are the best tyres (mine are currently 165 SR 15 Dunlop and vvvvvv old). Trying desperately to get my 1965 TR4 back on the road an I know it will need new tyres after sitting for 10 years while the kids grow up and don’t sap my time:(

26 minutes ago, AndyMat said:

Hi All,

does anyone have an update on which are the best tyres (mine are currently 165 SR 15 Dunlop and vvvvvv old). Trying desperately to get my 1965 TR4 back on the road an I know it will need new tyres after sitting for 10 years while the kids grow up and don’t sap my time:(

Hi Andy,

what size of budget are you considering.

What size of tyre.  155 for early TR4  or 165 (they look nice)

Have a look here  TYRES  all of which will work OK.  The Vredstein sprint is very very good.

Roger