Continental CT22 tyres

I need a new set of tyres for my TR4A in  size 165/80 R15, has anyone have any experience or opinion on the Continental CT22.  I have always been a fan of the Continental tyres on my other cars, they have always been my go to tyre brand.  I currently have a set on my BMW Z3M.  Grip and braking distance are much more important than 'classic' looks.  If I'm going through a hedge backwards, the fact that the tyre looks period will be no comfort.  The question I always ask when looking for classic car tyres is not what did they fit, but what would they fit if making it today.   My alternative to the Continental CT22 would probably be the Dunlop Sport Classic as both have a more modern tread design.

Edited by Colin Symonds
adding section

Hi Coin,

the CT22 hasn't got as good wet grip as a couple of cheaper tyres - have a look here  Tyres

However they are less than half the price og the Vredstein tyres I currently run. Annoyingly my last Continentals squealed like rats being strangled. So I have been put off.

The Nankang look interesting at £37 each

Roger

45 minutes ago, Rod1883 said:

The Nankang's are TL (Tubeless) - presumably it is OK to fit an inner tube?

I think you can fit tubes to any tyre. I use Nankang NA1’s seem good but who really knows?

Can’t go wrong with traditional names like Dunlop and Michelin and next time I’ll get those even if they are more to buy.

If you are running spoked rims it might pay to use tubes.

Kevin

PS I believe I did use tubes, but make sure the rims have a rubber band around the rim on the inside to make sure the spoke tops don’t puncture it.

Edited by boxofbits

The 2 currently has Vredestein Sprint Classics, with inner tubes fitted as I understand that the TR wheels are not designed to seal with tubeless tyres? I will replace the current tyres next Spring as  they are 10 years old and have flat spotted despite increasing the pressure over Winter and using/moving the car over the Winter months reasonably frequently. Perhaps it's because they are 155's and so do not have as much rubber to take the weight - I don't know.

Anyway when I do replace I was thinking of going to 165's and a cheaper alternative - the Nankang looks an option as long as inner tubes can be used too

20 minutes ago, boxofbits said:

I think you can fit tubes to any tyre. I use Nankang NA1’s seem good but who really knows?

Can’t go wrong with traditional names like Dunlop and Michelin and next time I’ll get those even if they are more to buy.

If you are running spoked rims it might pay to use tubes.

Kevin

PS I believe I did use tubes, but make sure the rims have a rubber band around the rim on the inside to make sure the spoke tops don’t puncture it.

I had the Michelin XAS on my GT6, they looked the part, the tyre pattern may be traditional but when I changed them for a more modern tread pattern the car felt much more planted and had much improved handling and braking.  

16 minutes ago, Colin Symonds said:

I had the Michelin XAS on my GT6, they looked the part, the tyre pattern may be traditional but when I changed them for a more modern tread pattern the car felt much more planted and had much improved handling and braking.  

How old were the Mich's Colin? I had a 22 year old set of Dunlop GT80's on my 4a, and when I updated to Nankangs it felt great, but some of that must have been the placebo effect but also genuine new rubber over old effect. I suspect the Dunlops were good when I fitted them originally. Point taken though, bit of a minefield!

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

It would appear that tyres that have tubes have smoother inner surfaces.

This reduces the tendency for the tyre to pull the inner tube around against its valve due to tyre creep.

Tubeless tyres have a rougher inner surface and possibly could pull the inner tube around - but is there any actual evidence for this.

Roger

Kevin the Michelins were only a year old when I took them off, and at over a thousand pounds for a set of five now I really can't take the risk.  I think as soon as they put the name 'Classic' on a tyre it adds  a hundred to the price.  It's a more modern tread pattern I'm after.

I am a convert to Vredestein T-TRAC2 on then 4A. I had noticed the ribbed pattern on the inside and did wonder if it might cause tube creep so some time ago I contacted Vredestrein customer enquiries and received confirmation that the T-TRAC 2 is suitable for use with a tube.

Tim

2 hours ago, Andy Moltu said:

Some may love the Michelins but in terms of grip I found them woefully lacking in the dry and downright dangerous in the wet.

I agree, that was my experience with them on my GT6. That's why I'm after something with a more modern tread pattern.  Originality may be OK, but not at the expense of safety.

Edited by Colin Symonds
1 hour ago, tim hunt said:

I am a convert to Vredestein T-TRAC2 on then 4A. I had noticed the ribbed pattern on the inside and did wonder if it might cause tube creep so some time ago I contacted Vredestrein customer enquiries and received confirmation that the T-TRAC 2 is suitable for use with a tube.

Tim

Another to consider, thanks.

The T-Trac 2 is highly regarded on this forum Colin, I cannot recall seeing a word of criticism. The price/performance balance is very attractive , they offer good life while giving excellent grip. I find them particularly reassuring in wet conditions.

Tim

T-Trac2 as Tim says is excellent value for money. I don’t run tubes....maybe I should? I haven’t had any issues however.

I also use the SnowTrac for colder weather, another great tyre.

Iain

On 9/3/2020 at 6:51 PM, RogerH said:

It would appear that tyres that have tubes have smoother inner surfaces.

This reduces the tendency for the tyre to pull the inner tube around against its valve due to tyre creep.

Tubeless tyres have a rougher inner surface and possibly could pull the inner tube around - but is there any actual evidence for this.

Roger

This is very true and its the reason you should not put tubes in a tubless tyre. Turbless tyres usuall have small ribs on the inside, these can wear through the tube. It may be a low risk but I have had it happen. luckily the tyre went down overnight. On inspection the insdie of the tyre had rubbed the tube and in one place the tube had started to leak.

Another vote for T-Trac 2s. Have them on my 4a after being somewhat disappointed in the (lack of) longevity of Sprint Classics. 

52 minutes ago, tim hunt said:

I am sure you will be delighted with them Colin. I first heard about these tyres on this Forum, a great resource!

Tim

Yes it is a great resource, especially for those of us new to TR ownership, I did have a GT6 in the past, but have only just bought my TR4A.  

Colin