21 hours ago, Lebro said:

If you do think of (vastly) improving your tail / brake lights let me know.

& ask others on here if it's worth while !

Bob (rear LED bulb maker for TR3's) !!

Hi Bob, I've done a bit of reading on another post and also seen that you are The Man on this. I guess my concern of improving is the contrast between side and brake light, however I do quite like the idea of fitting the central light off a TR2 (mines a TR3A) which would certainly help on this. I'm still thinking and focused on a front suspension rebuild which has proven to be long overdue (it's far worse than I thought and I'm a little embarrassed I've let it get this bad before doing it). In reality I know in my heart I'll be contacting soon. If you get others wanting lights and it's easier for you to make in mass then please let me know you are making and I'll quickly confirm. 

Out of interest it's the bulbs you posted pictures of that I filled for the headlights. The end result is the same visability down a dark lane. After fitting I brought it straight home and stripped out one side of the front suspension. Need to decide if I replace with poly bush or original rubber.......... But thats got to be another thread, I've already taken up to much time on this one given its meant to be about PL700s which look great to be honest

Neil

Hi Neil.  my car is a '3, so had the center brake light anyway, but I do think it is a good idea to fit these to the 3A as it must improve the safety, having three lights as per all modern cars.

There is a good contrast between tail & brake brightness but it does not show up that well in the many photographs I, & others have taken.

I do prefer to make batches of the bulbs, although not essential. I will let you know when I get more requests.

RE the suspension, I went polybush, & am quite happy with the result. I got them from the TR shop, but others on here will probably have more precise recommendations.

Good luck with the suspension, I trust you have a suitable spring compressor ?

Bob.

Hi Bob, I've reread the thread on your bulbs and actually misunderstood at least one set of photos were I previously thought the contrast was not great but I was looking at side light on picture vs. Brake light only picture and the third one with both really showed the contrast I was looking for. Its when the side lights are on and the brake is pressed that I was worried about and judging from the photo and general comment you have a lot of happy customers. So having relooked I would like to buy a set. I would like side/stop lights (for each side) and the centre bulb for numberplate/brake light from the earlier models which I'll fit when I get the older housing. I assume I just need to run an additional brake light cable to this but can work that out. I'm still on posative earth, have never seen the need to change and probably won't now (I have on other classics like a Mk2 Jag I had). If you can let me know when and how you want me to pay I can arrange. I'm in no rush so please do when it best suits you. 

I actually chickened out on the spring compressor and bought one from someone on here who sells his kit on ebay. I could have made it myself but was worried about how force's change as the bottom arm pivots. I had the skills to build it but not the confidence and felt the security of getting a proven tool far too tempting. Its well made and does the job. My days of taking chances are gone, I tend to work on the car with my son and have set a good example so he doesn't pick up all the bad habits I had when I was his age. 

Neil

Hi Neil. I see from earlier in this thread that you now have the front lighting sorted, & have the LED compatible flasher relay fitted. I can supply the rear stop / tail bulbs, the center stop / number plate bulb, & would also recommend LED rear indicators. either 2 of these:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-bulbs/products/bright-amber-smd-led-indicator-bulbs-ba15s-glb382

or, as Peter has done 2 more of the front type to give reversing light function in which case you will need to change the bulb holder to the type fitted at the front.

Price for my bulbs stop / tail £12 each, center stop / number plate £16. I can also supply the other bulbs mentioned at cost.

I have found reasonably good repro lamp units on ebay, & the dual filament front type lamps were used on many other cars eg Mini.

Payment PayPal (prefered) or BACS on posting

Cheers

Bob.

Edited by Lebro
10 hours ago, Lebro said:

Hi Neil. I see from earlier in this thread that you now have the front lighting sorted, & have the LED compatible flasher relay fitted. I can supply the rear stop / tail bulbs, the center stop / number plate bulb, & would also recommend LED rear indicators. either 2 of these:

https://www.classiccarleds.co.uk/collections/indicator-bulbs/products/bright-amber-smd-led-indicator-bulbs-ba15s-glb382

or, as Peter has done 2 more of the front type to give reversing light function in which case you will need to change the bulb holder to the type fitted at the front.

Price for my bulbs stop / tail £12 each, center stop / number plate £16. I can also supply the other bulbs mentioned at cost.

I have found reasonably good repro lamp units on ebay, & the dual filament front type lamps were used on many other cars eg Mini.

Payment PayPal (prefered) or BACS on posting

Cheers

Bob.

Thanks Bob, PayPal is good for me too. A quick question on consideration of fitting reversing lights (to the back indicators). Is there an option on the TR3A box to make these come on with reverse? I haven't looked yet but cannot see anything in the books. I think it's a nice idea but I'd probably only go down that route if this can be done. But I am thinking of how to put a switch in without it looking naff. 

But certainly put me down for 2 x stop/ tail lights and 1 x stop/ number plate light. That would be great. 

Thanks, 

Neil

TR3 box would not have a reversing light switch, you would have to invent one !

may be a microswitch under the tunnel to pickup the base of the gear lever when in reverse ?

Bulb requirements noted, & will get them made in the next week or so.

Can you PM me with your address.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro