I'm getting closer to finalising the restoration of my TR4. It's been away for a professional paint job and is ready for the the bling on the bonnet, there were no badges or lettering when I bought it and no trace as to where the TR4 badge goes and the lettering.

Does anyone know if there is a template for positioning the lettering and badge and the location and measurements, I'd rather not guess from photographs and don't want to start drilling holes without knowing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Simon Nichol    

57 minutes ago, Simon Nichol said:

I'm getting closer to finalising the restoration of my TR4. It's been away for a professional paint job and is ready for the the bling on the bonnet, there were no badges or lettering when I bought it and no trace as to where the TR4 badge goes and the lettering.

Does anyone know if there is a template for positioning the lettering and badge and the location and measurements, I'd rather not guess from photographs and don't want to start drilling holes without knowing.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Best regards

Simon Nichol    

Hi Simon,

welcome to the forum.

Where have the holes for the letters in your bonnet gone? they should be there - perhaps filled in before painting.

It's possible they may be found using the search facility

I may be able to measure mine but that will take time.

Bonnet badge   here

Roger

Edited by RogerH

Peter is correct, the diagrams which I published in 1976 in Section K11of the Technicalities booklet were drawn by Neil Revington (as were all the drawings therein) and were for the early type letters on the TR2/3/3A front apron.

Neil's drawings are superb, and he continued to provide drawings for me whenever required for a further 10 years throughout my 16 year tenure as Technical Editor.

BTW, I no longer hold the originals of the drawings, all are now in the offices of the TR Register in Didcot (I wonder who is looking after them nowadays?).

Ian Cornish

Thanks, Bob.  I was probably unaware of the lack of letters on TR2/3 because my TR2, which I purchased in 1964, had a TR3A apron, a fairly common "upgrade" in the 1950s/1960s.  Also had disc brakes - else I would never have bought it as I had scared myself a number of times with severe fade in my previous drum-braked TR2. 

Ian Cornish

Hi Simon

I've made a template off my bonnet, if it is any help to you.

The back of the template has been trimmed along the sharper fold at the rear edge of the bonnet. The leading edge is not sufficiently defined to use  as a reference.

I have made a centre mark near the rear edge which combined with central main badge holes and shaped back, it should be possible to position the template quite accurately.

The badge holes have been reinforced with sellotape and punched out.

I can post the template over to you FOC, if you want to private message me an address.

I would recommend a trial on a some spare sheet steel before drilling your bonnet but I'm sure I don't really need to say that.

This bonnet is the standard TR4 version off a 1962 USA car. Looking at the early short bulge UK bonnet I also have, the holes seem the same.

I have measured the hole diameters with a vernier and will write them on the template. If the template is of use I'll also take some check measurements of the hole positions with the vernier.

At least your not facing my job of reconstructing the hot rod air vent on this bonnet.

Best regards 

Steve

20200903_212454.thumb.jpg.508258e948301acb9bcca031d1174dc9.jpg20200903_212046.thumb.jpg.0802feaa1eccd04acae1a1cf933cc3ae.jpg

Steve - I suggest that you make a copy of your template and send it to Mike Jennings, the Technical Editor.  He can arrange for it to be archived for future reference.

You never can tell - when I was the Tech Ed in the 1970s/80s, I remember receiving a few requests for copies of the TR3 templates which Neil had produced.

Ian Cornish