My wipers are parked to the left (nearside) and the arms cranked the wrong way. All pictures I've seen show them parked to the right on RHD cars, to the left on LHD cars. The car is original RHD with the wiper motor on the right (drivers side). Could there be something wrong in the motor gearwheel/crank set up?

Thanks, Brian

Wipers.jpg

IMG_20200617_120809v2.jpg

My ‘59 3a is a Uk RHD and the wiper motor is on the Near side (passenger side)

Thanks Hamish and Ian. I've googled some more engine bay images, and found different RHD and LHD cars with the motor on left and right, so it seems a bit random.  There's one Australian RHD car that has the motor on the right and parks on the right, so there must be a way configuring the motor to do that. Then I guess I need LHD wiper arms.

Yours confused,

Brian

59 minutes ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Looks like a CRT wiper motor that does not have a self park.  You should be able to turn the wipers off wherever you like to park them

Peter W

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, I haven't tried them yet! Thanks for your answer to my non-existent problem :rolleyes:

30 minutes ago, Brian Eldred said:

Ah, I wasn't aware of that, I haven't tried them yet! Thanks for your answer to my non-existent problem :rolleyes:

Nice engine bay!

On my old 2, OGB 800, and now my 3, KST 277, I replaced the original, not so effective, wipers with Mini ones, which are spring loaded, and work very well. Just a thought. :)

If your wiper motor does have self park (not saying it has) the park position is easily changed by rotating the top partof the gearbox (after slackening the screws). although looking at your photo, I don't thing you do have that option.

Bob.

Edited by Lebro

RHD TR2s and I expect LHD ones too have the wiper motor on the right hand side and they don't self park. Just stop it where you want. 

Later 3s and 3As wiper motor is completely different to that on a TR2 and is on the left hand side.

10 hours ago, Lebro said:

Are you sure ? looks like a self parking one to me (see the wire on top of the circular "dome" on the RH side.)

Bob.

+1   

Should be self parking, but although I would like to see a closer pic of the wiper motor it looks like the feed to the self park is missing.

Ralph

13 hours ago, billy l said:

Hi, my 1957 TR3, wiper motor on passenger side,  not self parking. Cheers, Bill.

P1020145_0873a.jpg

20 hours ago, Brian Eldred said:

My wipers are parked to the left (nearside) and the arms cranked the wrong way. All pictures I've seen show them parked to the right on RHD cars, to the left on LHD cars. The car is original RHD with the wiper motor on the right (drivers side). Could there be something wrong in the motor gearwheel/crank set up?

Thanks, Brian

Wipers.jpg

IMG_20200617_120809v2.jpg

Not self parking, earlier wiper motor in the correct position. I think the wipers are parked at the correct side for a RHD car, but have the wrong cranked arms. If the arms were cranked the other way so the wipers sat nicely along the bottom of the screen frame I think you would find that they would clear more of the screen on the drivers side.

10 hours ago, Lebro said:

Are you sure ? looks like a self parking one to me (see the wire on top of the circular "dome" on the RH side.)

Bob.

Hi Bob,

it does look like a self park motor (dome + wire) but it may not be wired as such.

Roger

14 hours ago, billy l said:

Hi, my 1957 TR3, wiper motor on passenger side,  not self parking. Cheers, Bill.

P1020145_0873a.jpg

Hi Bill, looks like a self park motor, but should have a wire coming out of the main body that takes power to the self park mech, see photo below.

Ralph

20200831_090906.jpg

1 hour ago, Ralph Whitaker said:

Not self parking, earlier wiper motor in the correct position. I think the wipers are parked at the correct side for a RHD car, but have the wrong cranked arms. If the arms were cranked the other way so the wipers sat nicely along the bottom of the screen frame I think you would find that they would clear more of the screen on the drivers side.

Easy to correct those arms with careful bending of the last short cranked section using a vice.;)

Stuart.

15 hours ago, Lebro said:

Bob.

Hi Bob, the motor is self parking but the terminal that sits on the internal gear is missing for some reason, do you have a spare one? I have a question about the wiring to the motor, there are two external spade terminals, one has two green wires attached and are live when switched on, the other terminal has one wire which is green with black tracer it is not live but when a test lamp with a live feed is connected to it the bulb in the tester glows dimly, where does this wire go to? I cannot find it in any wiring diagram, there is also a seperate black earth wire. Thanks for your help, Bill.

7 minutes ago, billy l said:

Hi Bob, the motor is self parking but the terminal that sits on the internal gear is missing for some reason, do you have a spare one? I have a question about the wiring to the motor, there are two external spade terminals, one has two green wires attached and are live when switched on, the other terminal has one wire which is green with black tracer it is not live but when a test lamp with a live feed is connected to it the bulb in the tester glows dimly, where does this wire go to? I cannot find it in any wiring diagram, there is also a seperate black earth wire. Thanks for your help, Bill.

I don`t know why it has 2 green wires, mine has only the one, but that wire is permanently live when the ignition is switched on. The green and black is from the other side of the motor coils and goes back to the wiper switch which simply earths this wire out to complete the circuit and cause the motor to run. That is why the test light lights up dimly, because of the resistance in the motor coils I suspect.

I have not got the details to hand, but I know that spares are available for the wiper motors so you should be able to get the missing contact fairly easily, this makes contact with a brass ring on the inside of the cover which has a segment missing, it thus continues to earth the motor out even after the switch has been turned off until the contact encounters the missing portion and thus breaks the contact. By turning the domed cover it is possible to adjust where the wipers park.

Ralph

Have just taken this photo to help, also I disconnected the green and black single wire it seems to have no power feed to it also it does not go to earth, I wonder what is the purpose of this wire, is it connected in some way if you have two speed wipers?

image.jpeg

2 minutes ago, billy l said:

Have just taken this photo to help, also I disconnected the green and black single wire it seems to have no power feed to it also it does not go to earth, I wonder what is the purpose of this wire, is it connected in some way if you have two speed wipers?

image.jpeg

If you operate the wiper switch with the ignition off and then test that green and black wire again you should see it connected to earth.

Ralph

Hi Ralph,Is there an anomaly in the wiring diagrams, in the ones that I have it shows power coming from a fuse to the fuel guage then forward into the wiper switch, through the switch when switched on and then into the wiper motor then earth. this does not tally with the wiper switch earthing out the wiper motor as in mine and your car, ( or am I beeing a bit thick)  cheers, Bill.

If you are looking at the The 'Advance Autowire'  diagrams, the TR4 one shows it correctly for the self-parking motor and the wire colours which you have.  

Edited by RobH