New adventure begins in France!

Hi Blair,

Richard at the BMIHT has got back to me and I'm afraid to say that bad news on the record for your TR6 as it appears that the page with your record on it is missing.  Not sure how that has happened as when I viewed them the records were in bound folders with 24 records per page.

Sorry about that

Derek

• Replies 242
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

4 hours ago, saffrontr said:

Hi Blair,

I have spoken to the archivist at the BMIHT and he is going to have another look in the Customs Ledgers. I have given him the ledger reference so fingers crossed. Once he gets back to me I will let you know.

cheers

Derek

Thank you so much, Derek. I was quite surprised that, with all the information you supplied me last year which I supplied them, they came back with that response. I really appreciate your help, as that certificate will be needed for the French registration process.

Blair

Hi Blair

I have just registered my TR6 in France, they were satisfied with the certificate supplied by the FFVE - you shouldn't need anything more than that and a current Controle Technique. Send me a private message if you want to talk about the process...

Cheers

Robert

On 6/30/2021 at 6:00 PM, BlairP said:

Thank you so much, Derek. I was quite surprised that, with all the information you supplied me last year which I supplied them, they came back with that response. I really appreciate your help, as that certificate will be needed for the French registration process.

Blair

The heritage certificate from British motor heritage is NOT acceptable for registering a car in France. The only acceptable dating certificate is the FFVE attestation as Triumph no longer exist. You can apply via the FFVE website here 

https://www.ffve.org/attestation-ffve-pour-l-ex-carte-grise-de-collection

Hi Blair,

I have sent you a message. Richard at the BMIHT has now located the hard copy record for your TR6 so up to you whether you want to pursue a certificate with them and / or go down the path outlined by "Kiwifrog" and Robert

cheers

Derek

Derek

i have the bmht certificate for my unrestored 76 US tr6, not for administrative reasons but just to add to the history and enjoyment of my toy. 

cheers

Alan

Thanks everyone for your help. If the BMIHT certificate is not sufficient to register the car in France, I shall go the FFVE route. That said, I think I'd still like to have it, for the reason Kiwifrog sets out above.

Blair

• 1 month later...

Before I re-attach the original commission plate to my '69's body shell, has anyone ever seen one like this (below)? As it's so old and hard to read, I thought I might replace it, but none of the plates on offer from the usual suspects look like it. What's more, it's got things on it I didn't expect and can't understand: the TR6 stamp, and the numbers 40115, 1340 (assume that's GVW), and 2356.

Anyone have any ideas about what these number mean? Thanks in advance...

Blair

12C60307-5FB0-4504-B4DB-0CCB43E1C5F3_1_201_a.jpeg

Hi Blair, I have seen one before and that is fitted to 1CP50003LP as per attached. Not sure what the headings are but hopefully someone out there who is familiar with European standards and associated acronyms will.

Derek

1CP50003LP.jpg

1 hour ago, BlairP said:

Before I re-attach the original commission plate to my '69's body shell, has anyone ever seen one like this (below)? As it's so old and hard to read, I thought I might replace it, but none of the plates on offer from the usual suspects look like it. What's more, it's got things on it I didn't expect and can't understand: the TR6 stamp, and the numbers 40115, 1340 (assume that's GVW), and 2356.

Anyone have any ideas about what these number mean? Thanks in advance...

Blair

Unfortunately, I think your name plate has had all the background rubbed away by a PO using emery cloth? It looks non genuine?

Bruce

• 3 weeks later...

Progress! After a two-month wait on the body shop, I've got the painted shell and unfinished sides back, and the shell is now shimmed and installed, and the door gaps set. I have one question on the last picture: These two holes with nuts, in the floor on either side of the gearbox,  appear to be for mounting the shell. But I find no reference anywhere to these fixtures - TRF, the suppliers, and the Internet as a whole. Can anyone help? Are they perhaps for fitting the gearbox tunnel?

In any case, the sides are heading back to the body shop. Once they, along with the boot and bonnet, are prepped, all will come back to me for final fitting before paint.  In the meantime, I'll crack on with finishing the fuel system, brakes, clutch, wiring, etc. etc. etc. I'm hoping that in a month or so I'll be able to start it!

Best, Blair 

305E659C-BE0B-42DD-B931-52EFCD737A24.jpeg

IMG_2988.jpg

IMG_2990.jpg

13 minutes ago, BlairP said:

These two holes with nuts, in the floor on either side of the gearbox,  appear to be for mounting the shell. But I find no reference anywhere to these fixtures - TRF, the suppliers, and the Internet as a whole. Can anyone help? Are they perhaps for fitting the gearbox tunnel?

IMG_2990.jpg

Hi Blair

Good progress and looking great. Those two bolt holes either side are for bolting the H frame down.

Item 100 Here

Edited by Kevo_6

Those door gaps are looking good Blair should turn out well once everything is finally bolted on for the last time. Wiring wise did you fit a new loom with relays? 

Always nice to see your progress as it reminds me of where mine is at (with the paint shop still) so keep the pictures coming!

One request would you mind taking some pics when you get around to resembling the door internals.

Andy

On 8/5/2021 at 5:41 PM, BlairP said:

This plate is perfectly original, the black ink/paint is only missing.

"Paris/Monceau" plate should be found  only on car sold from new in France, as this garage was the Triumph importer during a period. 

About 20 of my Triumphs, mostly (if not all) Maline' built, were imported in France by this garage.

Edited by Chris59
10 hours ago, PodOne said:

Those door gaps are looking good Blair should turn out well once everything is finally bolted on for the last time. Wiring wise did you fit a new loom with relays? 

Always nice to see your progress as it reminds me of where mine is at (with the paint shop still) so keep the pictures coming!

One request would you mind taking some pics when you get around to resembling the door internals.

Andy

Will do, Andy. Looking forward to it!

20 minutes ago, BlairP said:

Will do, Andy. Looking forward to it!

Thanks Blair. Appreciated.

Andy

Refurbished petrol tank, and new Bosch-style pump/filter and PRV installed and plumbed in. I opted to put the pump/filter on the outside for cooling purposes, and will almost certainly make a shield to protect them from road rubbish.

Next up: Brake and clutch master cylinders and plumbing!

Blair

40832208-2F75-468B-95BA-A6AB6BA48AF2_1_201_a.jpeg

54A4C4D2-387B-43B8-8892-68BA23E1A4D0_1_201_a.jpeg

48162EA9-264A-419B-B624-793594B05B88_1_201_a.jpeg

22 minutes ago, BlairP said:

Refurbished petrol tank, and new Bosch-style pump/filter and PRV installed and plumbed in. I opted to put the pump/filter on the outside for cooling purposes, and will almost certainly make a shield to protect them from road rubbish.

Next up: Brake and clutch master cylinders and plumbing!

Blair

40832208-2F75-468B-95BA-A6AB6BA48AF2_1_201_a.jpeg

54A4C4D2-387B-43B8-8892-68BA23E1A4D0_1_201_a.jpeg

48162EA9-264A-419B-B624-793594B05B88_1_201_a.jpeg

Dont forget to fit a firewall while your there.

Stuart.

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Dont forget to fit a firewall while your there.

Stuart.

+ 1 many many times.

Mick Richards

• 4 weeks later...

And now on to the hard part...

I'm starting the electrical system, and I have a couple of questions already:

As you can see from the pic, my alternator harness is wired as per the original spec. Problem is, my alternator was rotten, so I changed it for a 17ACR. I have ordered the correct Lucar connector for the new alternator, but nowhere have I been able to find how to modify the original wiring to work with the new part. Can anyone help?

Secondly, wiring the new radiator fan. The fan power block (pic) I assume will go directly to the new relay. Question is: How does it interface with the temp sensor (pic) at the base of the rad? And does the connection on the water pump act simply as a temperature gauge, or does it have a role to play in liaison with the other two connections?

Thanks to the electricity gurus for your help. Don't imagine these will be the last questions...

Regards,

Blair

loom.jpg

alt.jpg

loom2.jpg

sensor.jpg

Alternator connections:  

The new 3-way connector should be wired so that the existing output connection (thick brown/white wire - or sometimes plain brown) goes to one of the large spade terminals; either will do.   The brown/yellow goes to the small spade terminal on the new connector.

You don't need the original heavy black earth wire, or the thinner brown/red wire (might be plain brown in your photo?) which should be disconnected at the terminal block rather than leave in-situ as it is live. 

As it was:

alt2.jpg.ccbe2e59f2cf7241e2a970a636c15468.jpg

New connections:

alt3.jpg.c1ce7a12683fff43aec07e7d2c5960d5.jpg

As for the fan, I assume you have bought these bits separately and not as a kit?  Normally the thermal switch should operate the relay to turn on the fan when the temperature rises. It would be a good idea to have a manual switch too. The fan takes considerable current so the switching is done by the relay to save burning out the contacts on the thermal switch. Fan power needs to come from somewhere that can supply the current direct - not via the ignition switch.  The relay supply may be switched so the fan still goes off with the ignition. There are a number of ways that can be wired up but this is one:

1402312981_fancircuit.thumb.jpg.cf8a6257bacaa1f10d05d411dfafc773.jpg

Edited by RobH