Steering - whats this item?

Hi All

Ive a lot of play-up/down & side to side-in the steering column. Its not all coming from the column bushes as the outer column was moving. It seemed to be from the rear most clamp, the lower half clamp felt strip was there but nothing between the outer column & the top half of the clamp. Looking at the Moss catalogue I assumed I was missing the clip below & assumed this clip goes under the top half of the clamp to hold the column in place. However I'm doubting this assumption now. After much sweat & a bit of blood I eventually removed the whole column. Between the ignition switch/string lock clamp & the rear clamp was a 'C' shaped metal ring. Is it acting as a spacer & does it replace the 'clip'. If so what hold the column in place ?

Thanks 

Alan

Screen Shot 2020-08-28 at 21.39.28.png

2020-08-28 15.03.58.jpg

2020-08-28 14.59.38.jpg

Hi Ed

Many thanks for that - i did check a number of sources for drawings but couldn't find anything. At least I haven't wasted time & money on buying the clip. I notice you have sleeved your column, is that to provide more clamp force or to protect the outer tube? Its very soft alloy -mine has been damaged by someone over tightening at some point.

Alan

1 hour ago, super6al said:

Hi Ed

Many thanks for that - i did check a number of sources for drawings but couldn't find anything. At least I haven't wasted time & money on buying the clip. I notice you have sleeved your column, is that to provide more clamp force or to protect the outer tube? Its very soft alloy -mine has been damaged by someone over tightening at some point.

Alan

You do still need the clip.

Stuart.

Hi Stuart

Sorry it wasn't clear on my post - I have ordered the clip :). Just looked at Eds site again & there are intermediate inner column spacers as part of the collapsible safety feature. I don't have these either & can't find them on any drawings. I had assumed (again!) the safety clamp was simply designed to 'give' under impact to allow the intermediate column to slide into the inner column. Regardless, doesn't look as though their available to buy anyway.

Alan  

14 minutes ago, super6al said:

Hi Stuart

Sorry it wasn't clear on my post - I have ordered the clip :). Just looked at Eds site again & there are intermediate inner column spacers as part of the collapsible safety feature. I don't have these either & can't find them on any drawings. I had assumed (again!) the safety clamp was simply designed to 'give' under impact to allow the intermediate column to slide into the inner column. Regardless, doesn't look as though their available to buy anyway.

Alan  

I think your referring to the bushes at top and bottom of the housing.

Stuart.

4 hours ago, super6al said:

Hi Ed

I notice you have sleeved your column, is that to provide more clamp force or to protect the outer tube? Its very soft alloy -mine has been damaged by someone over tightening at some point.

Alan--

Yes, that thin steel sleeve is to protect the soft aluminum tube from being gouged. Mine was pretty messed up, too.

Ed

Thanks Ed

Stuart - these are the items I was referring to. The 2 tubes next to the safety clamp. Today I received the clip & some other parts I ordered yesterday from Moss & Rimmer Bros. I know the bigger suppliers sometimes get criticised but I have to give them credit for excellent service here. I ordered yesterday morning & then amended my order later but they still managed to arrive before lunch today by Royal Mail - well done.  

SDC12736a.JPG