Continuity testing

I was trying to trace some wires in my 6 rebuild and when I connected the meter to the white and red going to the starter motor, everything I touched caused the meter to beep, the block, body, brown wires on the starter.....

Does this point to my high torque stater's demise, my leccy abilities are limited but I know how to wire a relay, it was working fine 12 months ago before strip down and obviously has done nothing since :D 

Multimeters generally 'bleep' if the resistance is low enough on the resistance range. Mine does it for anything under 20 Ohms so your meter was just reading the low resistance of the starter motor solenoid winding. Nothing to be concerned about, I think. ( Did you notice what the resistance reading was? )

• 1 month later...

Today I found out what the problem with the hi torque starter was....

I was going to turn the engine over for the first time and each time I turned the key all I got was a loud clunk, and the ammeter went to -100amps (if it could!).

Starter out and took the back plate off to find the terminal/pole connected to the battery had turned on the inside when I was tightening the nut on the outside and was touching, now fused, to the body. it is now back to it's correct place with another lock nut on the o/s and the starter spins on the bench.

Hopefully I'll get to crank the engine tomorrow.

So just a warning when tightening down the live to the battery......

With the risk of stating the obvious:

Better to remove one battery pole before doing jobs like this.

Cheers,

Waldi