Transmission noise on 1st 2nd 3rd gears video

Hello everyone,

Here's the strange noise happening today on 1st 2nd and 3rd gears on my 69 TR6 PI. Overdrive car. The 2nd gear disengages sometimes. On 4th I heard a ' clong ' at one moment and then, no more noise on 1st 2nd and 3rd... any idea? Clutch and gearbox overhaul some 2000km ago. One month ago I had a big noise in transmission, I think it was my fault, I noticed too late (after 5 miles) that my overdrive lever was very slightly engaged! without notifying it... :-/

Sounds dreadful. You need to strip it down and sort it before it is driven again and more damage is caused.

Did you reverse the car with the overdrive engaged? Doing so will grenade the uni directional clutch in the overdrive in a couple of metres. 

If it is on gears 1,2 & 3 but not 4 it is almost certainly the layshaft and or layshaft bearings.

It is going to need stripping down and likely rebuilding. Some of the rebuilders are uprating as this is a known weakness of the TR box. (This was compounded by a batches of layshafts on the market which hadn't been properly hardened a few years ago)  The Stags have a slightly different laygear set up and the rebuilders modify to beef this up.

Thanks for your answers, I have just showed the video to my mechanic, same reaction... Answers will be more accurate on September 17th 18th when I bring the car to the workshop. I will keep you updated!

@Drewmotty the car was reversed when the overdrive lever was slightly engaged, yes, 3 times on a few meters. There's however a inhibitor switch which prevents the overdrive to be engaged even if the lever next to the steering-wheel is activated, isn't it? Again, this lever next to steering-wheel was partially on during 5 miles BY MISTAKE, I don't know yet when my finger touched it...

William 

The overdrive switch is normally connected via inhibitor switches that stop the overdrive from engaging apart from when in the permitted gears. 

Unless bypassed or faulty the overdrive will only be engaged when in 2nd, 3rd and 4th for the A type o/d fitted to the CP cars and 3rd  & 4th on the J type fitted to the CR cars.

If not in those gears the solenoid should not be energised irrespective of the switch position. Reversing with overdrive engaged tends to be terminal for the unidirectional clutch in the o/d but unless there is an electrical fault or the overdrive has jammed on this shouldn’t happen.

1 hour ago, TR6_PI_1969 said:

Thanks for your answers, I have just showed the video to my mechanic, same reaction... Answers will be more accurate on September 17th 18th when I bring the car to the workshop. I will keep you updated!

@Drewmotty the car was reversed when the overdrive lever was slightly engaged, yes, 3 times on a few meters. There's however a inhibitor switch which prevents the overdrive to be engaged even if the lever next to the steering-wheel is activated, isn't it? Again, this lever next to steering-wheel was partially on during 5 miles BY MISTAKE, I don't know yet when my finger touched it...

William 

The inhibitor switches were bypassed in my car when I first bought it- unbeknown to me at the time. It sort of bucked a bit if you tried to reverse it with the OD on. You'd notice it-it's like a CV joint locking up.

Running well with no fuel on the gauge though!!!

Regards

Bill 

3 hours ago, Bill944T said:

Running well with no fuel on the gauge though!!!

Regards

Bill 

:D I had lot of fuel in the tank believe me. My gauge has stopped working recently after a drain of the tank, I guess it's the sensor in the tank, will be cheked in September.

On 8/31/2020 at 6:35 PM, SpitFireSIX said:

Don't be a muppet and hold phone while driving.

Who was holding the phone?

Yes indeed I was a muppet... This sound was not continuous, after a few miles on the way home it disappeared, and nobody believed me when I said there was a strange noise... so I decided to record it by myself... dangerous though I agree

19 minutes ago, TR6_PI_1969 said:

Yes indeed I was a muppet... This sound was not continuous, after a few miles on the way home it disappeared, and nobody believed me when I said there was a strange noise... so I decided to record it by myself... dangerous though I agree

No harm done I guess. Off my horse now.

2 hours ago, Phil Read said:

If it is quiet in top gear its the layshaft bearings.

Hi Phil,

Thanks for your message, yes I confirm, quite in 4th. I have not driven the car since, I have appointment for next week, I will do 1km to reach the workshop.

• 3 weeks later...