Top Ten Car producing countries 1950-2019

Fascinating.

Red Robbo looks in retrospect to behaving like Canute. While BL sank the sun was rising over the east.

Russia tanking in '91 stands out as does its failure to revive.

Are we going to see chinese cars selling in UK when brexit is finalised? They make the world's largest range of e-cars.

Chinese made buses, trucks, vans, cars and motorbikes are already sold in the UK. China is already 50% of the world demand for electric cars and the supply leader.

Mick

13 hours ago, ntc said:

Ask yourself when was the last time the UK built  a reliable car?  

Reliability and built in the UK - Nissan in Sunderland, Toyota in Derby, Honda in Swindon, BMW Mini at Cowley, Rolls Royce and Bentley - all relatively reliable built in the UK and foreign owned, not sure about Range Rover/Land Rover Discovery reliability, nor Jaguar F type, or Vauxhall Astra, again UK built but foreign owned......................

Other than Aston Martin, McLaren, Morgan, Ginetta, Westfield, and Noble, I'm struggling to think of any UK owned car manufacturers..............?

There was a time when UK made Cortinas and Cavaliers comprised the majority of new cars on the roads............possibly as company cars before income tax laws changed? Now its BMW, Mercedes, and Audi......assisted by their resale values and hence lower depreciation rates also made them more financially  attractive as company cars from an accounting perspective?

The only Chinese  Chinese car company products on sale in the UK I can think of is Geely, owners of MG and Lotus, so maybe an invasion is coming? There is much European money heading East by the way of partnerships with Chinese manufacturing.............the outcome will be coming back our way in the next few years?

Ian

14 hours ago, ntc said:

Nissan, Honda, Toyota, Morgan are all building reliable cars in the UK

Have been for years

1 hour ago, Geko said:

Whatever that means. :blink:

Lots of car companies worldwide are forming relationships with Chinese car manufacturers, and I forgot to mention that Geely already own the Volvo brand.

The SMMT and CAAM have signed an agreement to share technology and development https://uk.motor1.com/news/356390/british-chinese-car-industries-agreement/, this could be the thin edge of the wedge?

Last British car manufacturer that produced reliable cars was probably Bristol unfortunately another gone.

Stuart.

Geely also owns Polestar, which is rapidly becoming recognised as one of the best value, high performance electric vehicles available worldwide. Designed and built in China, sold and supported by the Volvo network, clever strategy.  https://www.polestar.com/uk/polestar-2/?gclid=CjwKCAjwkJj6BRA-EiwA0ZVPVqqjZu8z1HGSFU9_AIflDd_4ovmBoCPSVDgZkiHyVnQONXzy9_gYzhoCAvYQAvD_BwE&gclsrc=aw.ds

Mick

2 hours ago, ntc said:

Friend of mine two year wait for a new Bentley handed the keys back after three months just got fed up of it braking down as for Land Rover you are a brave man not to have warranty on one 

Bentley may still be made in the UK but now heavily influenced by Volkswagen the parent company, could this be part of the problem ?

22 hours ago, ntc said:

Depends what era we’re talking about really. I’d say the Austin Allegro wasn’t half bad with the A series engine, but the humble Morris Minor ran on for years often with little attention. The service schedule wasn’t that good in those days/ a lot of owners didn’t bother, no checks on electrical charge system or regulator servicing was included as far as I remember, they just ran on until it failed and a lot of dodgy mechanics around who didn’t grease trunnions and ball joints, didn’t know how to ream or set up kingpin/ trunnions properly and tightening sump plugs until they stripped. Reliability is difficult to quantify I think as it’s not always the car’s fault alone.

I’ve recently sent a BC module for a 2001 Mini back 3 times for the interior light coming on 2 minutes after being locked, the headlamps on main beam when indicating and another time for  dash indicator warning light flashing when ign turned on with right indicator flashing! - and thats BMW, (though the electronics are by Seimens)

Kevin

The only thing that I  Hadn’t fully-appreciated before viewing the data this way was the resilience of the Spanish car manufacturing industry.

....... Andy 

My first company car in the UK was an Austin Montego Estate. I had it from new for 5 years. Nothing ever went wrong, not even a failed light bulb and returned about 40mpg. The company, which owned the vehicles at the time, then kept the car as a pool car for the photography department. About 5 years later I saw it at work and asked the driver about it with more than a little nostalgia. He stated that it was a real workhorse, never let them down and was right royally abused lugging heavy stuff around the country. Never saw it again but clearly a Monday morning car off the production line.

Mick

As we are moaning about reliabilty - may I join in with my own rant. 
For my 70 years on this earth after 27 years of sensible BMWs, I gave myself a 4 year old MB SLK200 with only 11 000km bought from a Mercedes Dealer. Fortunately I negociated a 3 year warranty and maintenance programme. 
So far, the EcU blew up on a mountain road in Slovenia at a cost of some 1500€, took four hours to rescue us and four days to repair, then last week the dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree, no Abs, no cruise control and a few other things including the stop/start ( the only bonus). A failed wheel sensor diagnosed. 
In both cases the MB service was excellent - particularly so as in both cases it was holiday time with only skeleton workshop service.

Anybody want to buy an SLK200?

james

2 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

My first company car in the UK was an Austin Montego Estate.

I fancied a Montego as a company car when they first came out, so I went to the local dealer to have a look at one. The salesman was very proud of the strap fitted that pulled the spare wheel out of its recess, so he demonstrated it to me - it came off in his hand. Then the boot wouldn't close. He lifted the boot lid to give it a harder slam and the parcel shelf fell off.

I ordered a Ford.

Pete

The only motor I ever bought new was a Dacia Duster. It failed its second MoT at 15,000 miles. Rotten brake pipes. However the 4WD is brilliant in snow, so it stays. The only other brake pipe failure was at ca 90k miles on the rear axle of my first car, a Morris 1000 Traveller: a steel clip had worn through the pipe at a bend, almost designed to fail.

2 hours ago, little jim said:

Are Morgan still producing??

as Stuart says, yes they are, and the factory tours are excellent if you get the chance
Ian

The TR Register did a TR International in Malvern a few years back and a tour of Morgan was included.

Then it was owned by Charles Morgan, Henry’s son, but was bought in 2019 by Investindustrial an Italian firm. Let’s just hope it remains a unique hand-built car maker in Malvern.

Kevin

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

The TR Register did a TR International in Malvern a few years back and a tour of Morgan was included.

Then it was owned by Charles Morgan, Henry’s son, but was bought in 2019 by Investindustrial an Italian firm. Let’s just hope it remains a unique hand-built car maker in Malvern.

Kevin

+1