TR4A door panel fitting- door/winder handles

Hi Guys,

Just fitting new  door panels to my TR4A. As I didn't remove /or have the old ones (car came part dismantled), not sure now where the spring goes when fitting the handles. 

Put a search on the Forum but could not find anything specific.

I do have the original handles and 4  conical springs and escutcheon's, but can't determine from the parts catalogue /handbook exactly where the springs go. Behind or in front of the panel? 

I'm guessing behind the panel otherwise the escutcheon stands proud. Don't ask how I know this, but I can see another frustrating time looming when I have to remove the one panel I've fitted and then have to relocate the clips when refitting!!:angry:

Thanks 

Rich

Dam it, thought they might. B---er will have to go through the trauma of positioning the clips once again when I put the panel back on! 

Thanks 

Rich

Rich The panel you've fitted shouldn't take much adjustment when you put it back on again. The secret is to lie down by the open door so you have a good sight line. A bright light tilled to the door frame. Loosely fit the clips to the door card and then methodically work down one side at a time , nearest the hinge first , then the outer edge and finally the bottom. DON'T fit the clips at this stage. Just aim to get the bent wire / arrow shape of the clip " central " in the holes. A long thin nosed plier is the weapon of choice. If you're happy with the alignment remove the door card. With some vaseline between finger and thumb " pinch " arrow shape of each spring.

At this stage with all your door / window mechanisms greased / oiled put on both coil springs ... small ends on the metal shafts so that the larger end is spread against the back of the door card. Working methodically around the perimeter of the door car , use the end / heel of your palm to push the springs in. Double check as you go along that the spring is lined up correctly , observed from the side. The Vaseline will ease the spring into the  hole , to assume it's final resting place .

Assemble the door handle , window winders , escutcheons and retaining pins plus your long nose pliers and a small thin screwdriver to insert. A bucket or old washing up bowl will come in handy , if you're a bit of a butter fingers. Searching for a small pin on the drive or garage floor will soak up a lot of useful time ! Note the alignment of the metal shaft hole and the hole through the handles. The pin should have a chamfer on one end and should be pushed in from that end. Use the escutcheon to help you push against the coil spring to give yourself space to get the handle on and with your third hand ( ha ha ) insert pin with your pliers. A short bit  of masking tape to keep the pin in the plier's arms will help. You want to be able to release the tape with a twist, so don't plaster loads of masking tape on.

Have fun and good luck.  Bob

Thanks Bob for your advice. Having a TR6 also I have had done the job before and suffered the the difficulty of lining up the clips. Just have to be patient!

The tip I've used in getting those pesky pins in is to use a length of 1/8" diameter rod (same as the pins, 1/8 "gas welding rod is ideal),  round off the end and part cut through at a pin length. It's then very easy to push back the escutcheon and  the handle with one hand and push the prepared rod in the handle hole with the other. Once in position just wiggle the rod and it will break off at the part cut mark off leaving the new pin in place, simples!

Regards

Rich

No need to remove the whole panel, just the front pocket screw and ease out enough of the forward section of clips to get your hand and the springs behind the panel and on to the shafts, you will probably find that most of the clips will remain in position to be pushed back in place. 

The welding rod tip is a great one, far better than fiddling about  fighting the spring with long nosed pliers.

Cheers Rob

Hi all, just a follow up. I used masking tape to hold the springs in position on the back of the door cards central to the handle holes. Seemed to work for me as the springs stayed in position as I fitted the cards

Cheers

Rich