Which is the best way to go. Conversion of carb using 2number 1 p coins or getting the kit . What are your thoughts 

Get the kit to change them, the coin insert was a bodge years ago when doing it on the cheap.

Stuart.

Why not stay with waxstats, so there's temperature compensation to keep the mixture accurate despite fluctuations in ambient air temp under the bonnet?

The waxstat jets have an unwarranted bad reputation. Andrew Turner, the SU/Stromberg expert, explained to me recently that when first introduced in the Seventies, waxstats could suffer from heat soak when a hot engine was parked, making the mixture too weak on restarting. Within a year of introducing waxstat jets, SU cured the problem by limiting the range of the waxstat, so it could no longer over-weaken the mixture at very high temperatures.

I've rebuilt the HS6 on my 2.5 litre GT6 with waxstats and they work fine, even though as a non-crossflow engine, the carb jets must be exposed to some exhaust heat.

There may be a bit of 'urban myth' around waxstat jets.

Nigel