Is there a correct way to orientate the TR6 petrol cap?

I believe that that UK market cars were placed, as you have it., The USA cars have bigger petrol caps so fitted port to starboard.

I hope this helps.

Kind Regards,

Dave from a very hot and sunny Spain

I believe that the hinge should be facing the N/S and I think that this is confirmed in Bill Piggott's book.

Cheers

Tim

If the US cap is fitted with the hinge facing the front of the car the latch at the rear of the cap will hit the boot lid when it is opened. So the lid only works with the hinge on one side or the other. Pick the side based on where you like to pull up at the gas pump. I usually have the pump on my right so I have the hinge on the left so I'm not trying to navigate around the lid with the nozzle. I think the smaller UK cap looks neater, I dont know why we had to have a bigger cap other than to make it look more like a le mans racer to make up for the lost 30 horsepower.

Stan

For the USA models Triumph issued a service instruction for the fuel caps to be orientated at 45 degrees in their words " to minimise the possibility of it flying open in the event of an impact" however it is more likely to be for the design fault as noted by Stan that the rear of the cap hits the boot lid when both are opened. Apologies for the poor scan however it is just readable, I have not included the sketch referred to as that is unreadable. I will follow up with a Triumph press photo showing the 45 degree cap on a 1971 TR6

cheers

Derek 

Service instruction 1 C 5 gas cap.jpg

3 hours ago, saffrontr said:

1971 press photo noted above

Press Photo US Spec 1971_edited.jpg

Interesting extra rear reflectors there. Which market was that destined for?

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Stuart,

They added the additional rear reflectors for the US market for TR6 between commission numbers CC50958 and CC52453. These were fitted by the USA Dealers. After this up to body number 62060CC they were fitted by the factory and are detailed in the parts books.  In the USA they issued a Recall notice and a Technical Service Bulletin a copy of which is attached.

Derek

1 C 6.jpg

34 minutes ago, saffrontr said:

Stuart,

They added the additional rear reflectors for the US market for TR6 between commission numbers CC50958 and CC52453. These were fitted by the USA Dealers. After this up to body number 62060CC they were fitted by the factory and are detailed in the parts books.  In the USA they issued a Recall notice and a Technical Service Bulletin a copy of which is attached.

Derek

1 C 6.jpg

Interesting that its only for a few thousand cars, I wonder if the current repros would pass that same test ;)

Stuart.

16 hours ago, foster461 said:

If the US cap is fitted with the hinge facing the front of the car the latch at the rear of the cap will hit the boot lid when it is opened. So the lid only works with the hinge on one side or the other. Pick the side based on where you like to pull up at the gas pump. I usually have the pump on my right so I have the hinge on the left so I'm not trying to navigate around the lid with the nozzle. I think the smaller UK cap looks neater, I dont know why we had to have a bigger cap other than to make it look more like a le mans racer to make up for the lost 30 horsepower.

Stan

Hi Stan,

not sure if the TR4A is the same as the TR6 but I have my hinge at the rear of the car as, as you state, the opening tab can hit the boot lid.

Having it this way means it is easy to fill from either side.

Roger

DSCF0021b.jpg

Stan,

CP and CR series had the hinge facing forward so the opposite of Roger's TR4A, the prototype however had it facing east / west  and that car had a PI engine so maybe they were thinking about fitting the US petrol cap to all TR6's at one time?

Derek

74467.jpg

Peter,

Here's Saffy's petrol cap position which is correct: 1970 CP, original and unmolested apart from period Moto Lita steering wheel - can't see why a 74 CR cap would be positioned any different, so your's is correct too.

Cheers, Andrew

_DSC8664a.thumb.jpg.184fab6d3aa90a86cddcc314c2878879.jpg

Interesting Peter, doesn’t match the BL press picture of the same year. Could it have been rotated or is this a US spec car?

Tim

2263FCD3-2637-4835-BF6D-EA82D2D2DB03.jpeg

On my 4A, acquired in 1970, the hinge faces the LHS. I have no reason to think that is not how it left the factory. Strange that it was rotated 90 degs on the TR6, maybe this is to facilitate filling from either side as Roger suggests.

Tim

DSC02006.JPG