New ignition switch, wrong connections!

I need to replace the ignition switch on a 1959 TR3A. The existing one has an intermittent fault which cuts off the power

Fiddling with the key restores power, the connections are good, so Im assuming its the internals of the switch that are failing.  

New Lucas switches are available, but they all seem to have male spade terminals, the existing one has two posts with screws.

I dont want to fit crimp spades unless I have too.

Does anyone know if the new old stock switches are available with screw posts?

Thanks

Mark   

Hi Mark,

The main problem I have found with ignition switches is that when the key get worn the brass leaves (tynes) project outwards and scores the inside of the switch body and then the key does not fully turn to make contact.

Also owners have been known to insert the key and turn it at the same time before it is fully home, again the brass leaves score the inside of the body.

Therefore always use a key which is in good condition and do not turn the key until it is fully inserted.

The best way to check a switch is to remove the lock barrel and look inside – you will see two vertical slots and each of the four edge corners should crisp and unmarked and no visual horizontal score marks – as per photo.

Regards, Richard

2.jpg

3.jpg