Scissor lift.....again!

Hello TR-ists,  after much research , head scratching and measuring everything in sight, I am almost at the point of buying a BH Repairs scissor lift.  I've seen the posted videos and read all the pros and cons, but something like this ticks more of my boxes than any other product or type of lift.  My question is, is there anyone out there, close to me (Bristol area) who has one, that wouldnt mind giving me a demo.  Thanks a lot folks.  Mike

21 hours ago, Ransomes256 said:

Mike,

If you do not get a closer offer I am in Bridgend and have an identical lift which you are welcome to come and view / try.

Neil

Sent you a PM, Neil.  Mike.

I would be very interested on the views of both of you. One as a user Neil and the other after the inspection Mike.

It seems to go higher than others i have seen.

Roy

• 2 months later...

Gents, I'm thinking of getting one of these. Looking at dimensions it seems a little close and possibly too wide but I have a TR3A. From you experience how much narrower than the TR4 does can it go or is the TR4 at the limits of the lift? 

Thanks, 

Neil

I cut a couple of inches out of the width bars for mine. 

but you are not far from congleton if you want to borrow it to try it out. 

BFA78A2E-5E6C-4F1A-9BE1-6E65322C0834.jpeg

260DBAD0-320D-4794-BD07-511F3BF4AB64.jpeg

On 11/14/2020 at 3:35 PM, Hamish said:

I cut a couple of inches out of the width bars for mine. 

but you are not far from congleton if you want to borrow it to try it out. 

BFA78A2E-5E6C-4F1A-9BE1-6E65322C0834.jpeg

260DBAD0-320D-4794-BD07-511F3BF4AB64.jpeg

Hamish, 

Thanks for the offer. Its actually this type of lift I'm considering. The second photo is of the lift with a TR4A (I think) on it. Altough I'm also considering the type of lift in the third photo. I'm keen to use on the TR3A but also have Freelander 1 (my sons) a Jaguar XJL (X351) and a new Evoque which will be mine to service in 4 years. Ideally I would be looking for something that could do them all but the Jag is just massive and I cannot find anything to do that. My main use will be Freelander and TR3A and if I'm lucky another classic in the future to restore. I built a pit in my last house but I'm worried about water table level in this house. 

I must admit the tilt lift is interesting but ideally I'm looking to raise the car by around 1M in the garage. Freelander would need to be lifted outside (garage roof restrictions). 

Thanks, 

Neil

s-l1600.jpg

image016.jpg

s-l1600 (1).jpg

On 11/14/2020 at 4:54 PM, Ransomes256 said:

Mike,

As the TR4 uses the same chassis as the TR3 so I do not see any additional problems.

My friend has the slightly wider version of my lift and we built up a full TR2 on it. 

Being the slightly wider version the lift was only just clear of the inner faces of the tyres.

Neil

Neil, thanks. There does seem to be a narrow version of the lift but ideally I want the wider one as it will work with more modern cars as well. When I look at the measurements taken I do think there is just enough so I'm hopefull

Thanks, 

Neil

Neil 

if it’s for all those cars. 
do not buy the one I have. You would need a massively powerful drill to operate it. Also the bracing bars could get in the way if any of your moderns need gearboxes etc dropping from below. 

the grey one if affordable looks like a leader of the 3

Mike,

OK but I have used my lift with a Landrover and a Focus as the arms swing out as wide as you need and I also have 3 different height mounting pads to get the best lift point.

I have changed my TR4 gearbox whilst on the lift and given some serious pulling about on front suspension with no stability concerns.  

There are a couple of things to consider.

With the pump lift transport pin it is OK on a flat surface but steps are an issue also it is not very manouverable.  I move mine with a pallet truck and my friend uses his wheel skates.  If you raise the lift (no car)  place skates under frame then lower the lift it raises it from the floor and is very manouverable.

Second is the rollers will grind any painted surface off the concrete and if used in one location will wear a groove.  Mine is mounted with wear strips uner the rollers to prvent this problem.

Would I buy the same again?  Most definitely.

Neil

35 minutes ago, Ransomes256 said:

Mike,

OK but I have used my lift with a Landrover and a Focus as the arms swing out as wide as you need and I also have 3 different height mounting pads to get the best lift point.

I have changed my TR4 gearbox whilst on the lift and given some serious pulling about on front suspension with no stability concerns.  

There are a couple of things to consider.

With the pump lift transport pin it is OK on a flat surface but steps are an issue also it is not very manouverable.  I move mine with a pallet truck and my friend uses his wheel skates.  If you raise the lift (no car)  place skates under frame then lower the lift it raises it from the floor and is very manouverable.

Second is the rollers will grind any painted surface off the concrete and if used in one location will wear a groove.  Mine is mounted with wear strips uner the rollers to prvent this problem.

Would I buy the same again?  Most definitely.

Neil

Thanks Neil, my garage is carpet tiled. I have lots of spare tiles as well and would recommend this to everyone. Far softer on the feet and helps getting up and down. The website shows several different cars on them and it looks like it does everything other than the Jaguar but to be honest that was going to be a push for any reasonably prised lift (for size reasons not wieght). 

Understand the moveability side. I could do the same with regards to skates but it's not planned to move that often. 

Thanks,

Neil