I have just met a new friend who wanted to show me his Triumph. He was lucky enough to buy a huge barn and a large field about 25 years ago. His barn had a Massy Ferguson tractor ,a Land Rover and trailer for everyday work,  two long workbenches and  was only 1/3 full. In the centre  was a sparkling yellow  Triumph Dolomite. He has owned it for 20 years and it has covered 103k miles, genuine. The original owner , from new , advised him not to use it when raining,  because he never had.

It was in excellent condition. The paint work could have come from the paint shop this week. It was immaculate and the chrome and interior trim were like new. The engine bay had two new hoses but everything else was as used. The  SU carbs were not polished and there was the look of regular engine bay.  There was a sticker on the windscreen confirming Ziebart treatment from new. The last MOT had an advisory about the tyres and age.

He was having a problem with the alternator. I explained where to get it overhauled or replaced but he was insisting on fitting a new rear bearing himself into the existing. He wanted the original. It was really interesting to meet him and I will soon be a passenger when he has the bearing fixed. The Dolomite has 125bhp and returns 34 mpg when cruising and will top 10o mph if you need to get home on time. I enquired about the owners club and there was no interest in joining.

Interesting evening visit. I wish that I had bought a farmers barn.

Richard & B.

4 hours ago, Richardtr3a said:

I enquired about the owners club and there was no interest in joining.

Nice one! I guess a lot of people just don't like Clubs. Who would hava thought I would LOVE CLUBS :) specially the TR Register? Hard to put into words. Maybe you just do or don't, and it's a gut feeling?