They don't make 'em any more!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be interesting to know what the reserve is, and why it is being sold on eBay. Surely a rare desirable classic like this could fetch more using another method.

9 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

Be interesting to know what the reserve is, and why it is being sold on eBay. Surely a rare desirable classic like this could fetch more using another method.

It's just another market John, it was only 2 years ago when a fully refurbished Italia in dark blue made £105,000 on auction on e bay...it didn't make it's reserve. From memory it was later sold directly from it's refurbishment home for about £120,000

Mick Richards 

Hi John,

I agree totally. if it is what it purports to be it has to be a very rare early car and at a premium.

There are some issues that I find strange in the statements about it 

1, It was restored to original spec 35 years after build. wrong colour combo and LTD fasteners.

2 would have expected a starting bid.

Mike,

Not sure I would like to bid/spend £105,000 on an ebay item.

Nice looking car though, and will watch with interest.

Rod

Personaly I think it's not that great,   "simply the best" ..... nope,  "absolutely stunning example".....nope,  "showroom condition".....nope.    mirrors, horrible, carpet fit needs improving,  interior trim needs work, under bonnet tatty and very untidy,  shut lines on boot not great, no photo's of underside,  be interested to see what it goes for. Cheers, Bill.

Unusual fuel line arrangement 

perhaps they could find a better route to get it closer to the exhaust manifold.

Yes, not a great example. I noticed that the vent/overflow from the rear carb discharges above the exhaust manifold, not a good idea. Needs a lot of TLC to make it match the description.

Mick

Rather disappointing in that a lot of the 'wrongness' is unnecessary.Even the manufacture date of August 1953 is incorrect, as

the included Heritage cert shows Dec 1953 which is the right date..As has been already mentioned and despite the seller's blurb of it being restored to it's original spec, I noted the following:

wrong colour paintwork, interior to TR3 spec, chromed not painted hinges front and rear, entire car has 'lift a dots' instead

of Tenax fasteners (not incl windscreen) and even the LADs on the scuttle are in the wrong place.TR3 passenger chrome grab

handle (not the slim black type that should be fitted)Wrong overdrive switch, boot to fuel tank panel should be body colour,

rocker cover missing both it's decals,too many underbonnet scew heads unpainted, wrong carbs, air filters and fuel line fitted, 

indicator relay should be mounted up beside the control box, incorrect rear reflectors (forgiveable).

The front air intake looks rather 'round' but that may be the angle the picture was taken from, the rear of the bonnet looks to be touching the scuttle when in the opened position, in the underbonnet photo.I'm pretty sure that the spare wheel cover should have

'toilet seat' escutcheons, not the boot lid 'fig leaf' versions.

Does it still have it's highly desirable aluminium bonnet and spare wheel cover, which really sets the earliest cars apart from the later cars?No mention.

Most, if not all that I've mentioned could be corrected relatively easily, given the time money and enthusiasm, and  which,

despite the criticism is still a lovely thing, but the sellers description rather lends itself open to forensic scrutiny.

Roger M-E

WELL WE HAVE ALL HAD OUR SAY ?

The car has been around since it's registration in June 1990.Given that I'm sure that someone knows the car and such an early car can't have gone unnoticed, I'm not sure that the intense scrutiny subjected here would have been applied back 1988 or thereby when the "restoration was carried out

If it is indeed what it purports to be then it is still an interesting car faults set aside. personally I would not consider bidding without a lot more information. Bidding is already at £18100 as of 11am.

I would be interested on any comments on where the car has been all this time.

Rod

50 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

WELL WE HAVE ALL HAD OUR SAY ?

The car has been around since it's registration in June 1990.Given that I'm sure that someone knows the car and such an early car can't have gone unnoticed, I'm not sure that the intense scrutiny subjected here would have been applied back 1988 or thereby when the "restoration was carried out

If it is indeed what it purports to be then it is still an interesting car faults set aside. personally I would not consider bidding without a lot more information. Bidding is already at £18100 as of 11am.

I would be interested on any comments on where the car has been all this time.

Rod

Rod, back in 1988/1990 the internet and particularly this forum were either in their infancy

or not extant.However, it was pretty well known back then what constituted 'right' from 'not right',

but for some 'restorers' it just wasn't that important given the values of TRs 30 odd years ago.

I had a workmate who invested his £8k City bonus in a TR3A  around 1988, and it was pretty

difficult to find a better or more expensive car at the time.This car had been restored by The

Northern TR Centre, who had a very good reputation for doing a 'proper' job.

It was almost certainly much more difficult to source the 'right' stuff back then, given the lack of

Ebay, TR reg forums and the paucity of the more enlightened retailers .

This car may well have been in the hands of 1 or more owners for the last 30 years who weren't particularly

clubby or overly bothered by the details of originality, so may well have sat under the radar for quite some time.

Roger M-E 

https://www.pistonheads.com/buy/listing/10703778?cId=10660007&cId=10703778

Apart from a very early Long Door 2 for sale in Germany (LHD), not perfect either, for details, but still hard to fault, there are these two advertised by Piston Heads (see above), for 33,000 and 35,000 stirling. None of these, including the one in the auction, give details of under body rust and state of chassis.

Apart from the faults pointed out above, I find it interesting that the one at auction was put on first for 25,000 reserved and the same one, failing a sale, for 19,000. 

Covid times?

19,000 seems to me a very good price, if, and only if, there are no rust issues. The small details can be dealt with, as someone has already pointed out.

Edited by DavidBee

The advert is an exaggeration, no surprise there from a dealer. However, it is still an early car and the details that need addressing are pretty minor overall. Rust and condition are the important issues.

Having nearly completed a car I bought in 3 trailer loads of bits 3.5 years ago this one looks pretty easy, again if the body/chassis don't need work. If they do, and the advert not being honest probably indicates they do, makes it very price dependent. £18100 might be too much if it needs body/chassis work.

19 minutes ago, Glynn Hobbs said:

If anyone wants a 'perfect' TR, it's currentlly for sale here: https://www.leboncoin.fr/voitures/1833605525.htm/

Quite a few non original issues with this car too and that is without seeing the interior or underneath.

3 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

Quite a few non original issues with this car too and that is without seeing the interior or underneath.

You obviously dont remember this car, it was a multiple concours winning car in this country and in Europe.

Stuart.

5 minutes ago, stuart said:

You obviously dont remember this car, it was a multiple concours winning car in this country and in Europe.

Stuart.

Being down under I have never heard of this car. I can see it is very good but from my understanding (I'm not overly knowledgeable on 3As):

oil pressure gauge pipe is a TR4 one and has been rerouted,

incorrect hoses for the heater and extension off the tap,

alloy rocker cover,

non original head nuts,

Commission plate moved,

blinker box moved on firewall.

What does the interior and elsewhere look like?

Minor stuff but so are many of the issues with the TR2 subject of the thread.

1 hour ago, John McCormack said:

Being down under I have never heard of this car. I can see it is very good but from my understanding (I'm not overly knowledgeable on 3As):

oil pressure gauge pipe is a TR4 one and has been rerouted,

incorrect hoses for the heater and extension off the tap,

alloy rocker cover,

non original head nuts,

Commission plate moved,

blinker box moved on firewall.

What does the interior and elsewhere look like?

Minor stuff but so are many of the issues with the TR2 subject of the thread.

Hi John,

This is my car!  -  you can read the full story (and see underneath) here: https://imageweaver.blogspot.com/2020/01/my-triumph-tr3a.html

It was originally a US car and has many items that were only available in that country within that period, such as the 'California Imports' rocker cover.

I don't need to sell her, but currently 'testing' the market for interest.........She is also still winning concours trophies!

Cheers

Glynn

Edited by Glynn Hobbs
16 hours ago, Glynn Hobbs said:

Hi John,

This is my car!  -  you can read the full story (and see underneath) here: https://imageweaver.blogspot.com/2020/01/my-triumph-tr3a.html

It was originally a US car and has many items that were only available in that country within that period, such as the 'California Imports' rocker cover.

I don't need to sell her, but currently 'testing' the market for interest.........She is also still winning concours trophies!

Cheers

Glynn

Thanks Glynn. Having seen the details it is a most impressive car. I like that the non original items are itemised, too many people try to hide them.

I have sold too many cars, and boats, that I regret selling. It is a beautiful example and if you are using her all the better.