Laycock clutch refurb

Just found a laycock clutch plate and thought i read someone got it refurbed but cannot find the thread after searching

what is it about laycock clutches against a new borg and beck from Moss revington etc etc

any advice link to the thread

thanks

david

12 hours ago, dblenk said:

Just found a laycock clutch plate and thought i read someone got it refurbed but cannot find the thread after searching

what is it about laycock clutches against a new borg and beck from Moss revington etc etc

any advice link to the thread

thanks

david

Hi David send it to these guys for rebuild, theyre really good http://www.precisionclutch.co.uk/

Stuart.

Great Waldi, thank you!

My hope was he tells why he uses the Laycock clutch cover, but sadly this is not the article about.

Another information is VERY interesting!!!

In the slave cylinder there was a lot of slug, so the changed the seals after he did that the last time in 2003.

What brake fluid did he use? Guess what I assume...

Edited by Z320
My bad english

Thing is, its not a Laycock clutch plate thats featured in the TRaction, looks more like an AP plate to me. If the clutch refurbers can't tell one from the other then what does that say exactly.

Just my tuppence and all that rubbish

Alan G

20 hours ago, cp25616 said:

Thing is, its not a Laycock clutch plate thats featured in the TRaction, looks more like an AP plate to me. If the clutch refurbers can't tell one from the other then what does that say exactly.

Just my tuppence and all that rubbish

Alan G

I agree that looks like a LUK or AP plate.  The re-furbishers merely repaired restored what they were given.

here is an image of a Laycock plate - note you cannot see the cushion springs

image.png.ed77acd6a8ed2784f81cec67cb99ec28.png

Cheers

Peter W

The important bit is the Laycock clutch cover. It’s this that is better than the Borg and Beck.

It probably isn’t worth getting the driven plate rebuilt. There are good driven plates from AP at sane prices. There are uprated ones at a cost.

Most interesting this question should be for those who are convinced about the advantages of DOT5, not me.

But if Bob used DOT5 the next question for all DOT5 friends is - or better it is not - what is the slug?

Edited by Z320

Hi Marco,

I’m one of your “DOT-5 friends”, but do not know where the sludge came from, simply because I gave not seen it.

Not speculating but it could be worn rubber particles from the seals or old DOT 3/4 that was left after flushing a previously dot3/4 system with DOT 5. I have had both myself in the dim past: the black sludge on a DOT 4 system and the 2-phase issues after I converted a good system by “flushing only” from DOT4 to 5. 
Cheers,

Waldi (a happy DOT5 user) :D

Hi Richard,

Bob Mortimer wrote "slug" and I realized he probably wanted to tell us "sludge ", sadly my english is not perfect

Hi Waldi,

I sent him a email this evening and asked him for details.

Ciao, Marco