Hi, I've trying to work out how the two piece seal for the cantrails that I've got from Moss fit the hardtop. Could anyone take/have a photo showing the profile. It seems to have no relation to the picture in the catalogue. I have two rubbers plus some furflex. It looks as though the rubber should be compressed between the cantrail and the hardtop, but the profile is not wide enough and has a raised edge that I cannot see will fit correctly/flush?

Thanks in advance

21 minutes ago, Steven Polden said:

Hi, I've trying to work out how the two piece seal for the cantrails that I've got from Moss fit the hardtop. Could anyone take/have a photo showing the profile. It seems to have no relation to the picture in the catalogue. I have two rubbers plus some furflex. It looks as though the rubber should be compressed between the cantrail and the hardtop, but the profile is not wide enough and has a raised edge that I cannot see will fit correctly/flush?

Thanks in advance

If you look in the Moss parts book page 147 it shows how the later seal fits between the cantrail and the hardtop. The furflex/rubber then clips on the lip unless you have the wrong seals.https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/weather-equipment/hard-tops/hardtop-tr2-3a-1953-62.html

Stuart

They`re not particularly good for the purpose by the looks of it but the top one goes the opposite way round with the curl on the inside facing upwards (see diagram in the parts book) and the other uses the open channel to go round the lip with the tube section outwards.

Stuart.

Edited by stuart

Hi Steve,

I see you're at the same stage with your hardtop as me. In fact I'm just in the process of finishing the job. Like you I was stumped at first as to how the seals fit.

Basically, the side of the seal with the raised portion fits uppermost on the cantrail. When fitted the raised portion butts against the inside frame of the hardtop creating a hopefully watertight seal. The flat part of the seal sits on top of the cantrail. The seal doesn't cover the full width of the cantrail as it leaves space for rainwater to drain.

to ensure everything is watertight I plan to put a thin smear of non setting windscreen sealant on either side of the seal. To do this I'll loosen the screws holding everything together so I can fit the nozzle of a sealant gun in between each face.

Best of luck,

Jeff

image.png

image.png