Trailing arm problem

On investigating why my handbrake on one side was not working I find the trailing arm  has broken around the where the handbrake cable is anchored on top by means of a bolt.

Is it possible to repair this, or, can you advise where I can get a replacement trailing arm.

Thanks

Hi Alan,

a replacement will cost between £50 - 200 It must be repairable.

Can you attach a picture(s) so we can work out a repair.

Roger

PS - I was experimenting with one of my tA's to allow the HB cable anchor to come out easier. So I simply cut a slot.

The finished slot is nicely rounded and supported by a large washer from underneath.

DSC_1221.JPG

Edited by RogerH
55 minutes ago, RogerH said:

Hi Alan,

a replacement will cost between £50 - 200 It must be repairable.

Can you attach a picture(s) so we can work out a repair.

Roger

PS - I was experimenting with one of my tA's to allow the HB cable anchor to come out easier. So I simply cut a slot.

The finished slot is nicely rounded and supported by a large washer from underneath.

DSC_1221.JPG

To me that is repairable but alum. welding is an art in its own form and in your case it would be better if the trailing arm is removed to work on it. There is an RR aerospace approved welder near me I am sure he could repair it as I have used him on my Alum rocker cover. But some metal fabrication would be required?

Bruce.

Try to lay a curved steel plate over the broken area and fit it with two new 1/4UNF screws left and right from original.

Put larger curved washers underneath

1 hour ago, Alan B said:

On investigating why my handbrake on one side was not working I find the trailing arm  has broken around the where the handbrake cable is anchored on top by means of a bolt.

Is it possible to repair this, or, can you advise where I can get a replacement trailing arm.

Thanks

Alan - you don't say which side is broken - I have a nearside one going spare which has been fully refurbished - photos attached.

PM me if interested - not silly money, but it has been fully refurbished as hopefully you can see from the photos attached so looking for £125

Cheers Rich 

IMG_1992 Resized.JPG

IMG_1993 Resized.JPG

IMG_1994 Resized.JPG

Here is a very bad photo of the problem. There is little clearance between the trailing arm and the driveshaft underneath - I'm not sure there is enough room for a washer and nut but I will try.

Thanks for all your thoughts

broken ta.jpg

1 minute ago, Alan B said:

Here is a very bad photo of the problem. There is little clearance between the trailing arm and the driveshaft underneath - I'm not sure there is enough room for a washer and nut but I will try.

Thanks for all your thoughts

broken ta.jpg

I think I would be inclined to get that re-welded, not particularly difficult but easier to do with it off the car.

Stuart.

• 2 weeks later...