Hood Fitting process

Hi all, after putting off the hood fitting for ages I finally decided to do it today as the weather  has warmed up, I have read a lot of items regarding the fitting process and I could forsee the problems and the chance of having a hood sagging or with ripples in it so not a task for the faint of heart ( hence the delay :) ) I also had a sore thumb the result of a very close encounter with a hammer head ! and so I was dubious about my ability to pull the hood tight to get the correct fit as it looked  about 6 inches short :rolleyes: So I had another coffee and a think, I decided to reverse the hinge bracket on the B post and use them on opposite sides which meant the hood sat down about 1 1/2 lower. After letting the hood warm in the sun I then marked and cut the first fitting, the lowered hood allowing me to easily stretch and mark the position ( I was more nervous than when my kids were born :) ) I also realised this method would only be good for the rear fittings parallel to the screen. Having done all the back ones I then switched the hinges back and erected the hood, big relief when it all looked good. Because the hood was now in tension the sides were relatively easy to position. 

Conclusions

Spend lots of time centering the hood with chalk marks etc.

Mark and fit each fitting one at a time, I had a big log end on the rear seat to act as an anvil.

I found the punch off ebay was too clumsy too get a consistent fitting so I used a hole punch and then aligned the fitting punch on the hole and parallel to the edge, I also had to sharpen the spikes to aid the cutting.

I bought the hood from Don Trimming and it was well cut for the job ( although the first time I tried it on I thought it was too short :rolleyes: )  

I hope this helps as I know I was anxious about the finish which if done incorrectly would attract the eye immediately.

Regards

Ron