Back to school.............

Nor is it going well at present, for Rohingyans, and that woman still has her Nobel laureate.

Interesting their refugee camp has no COVID deaths:

https://www.who.int/southeastasia/news/feature-stories/detail/who-partners-enhance-support-to-covid-19-response-in-rohingya-camps-in-coxs-bazar

or perhaps 2 deaths; https://www.thelancet.com/journals/langlo/article/PIIS2214-109X(20)30282-5/fulltext

850,000 refugees and 50 positive tests. Sun exposure I reckon. Conditions for transmission are horrendous.

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold

I have a son who lives in Norway so get regular updates on what is happening,  when all this first began a lot of Norwegians were skiing in the Alps and anyone returning had to self isolate, my son had returned the week before the rule came in but still had to self isolate! no arguing, no but what ifs, just do it and every one did. The frontier with Sweden was closed and anyone who tried to sneak through recieved a big fine. People were told not to travel outside your local area and cars with registration plates from a different county were stopped constantly by the police to make sure the lockdown was observed 

It also helps having a fairly small population and a big country that has very long hours of daylight during the Summer. Most Norwegians are active out doors types so its unusual to see overweight people which must help.

With the recent upturn in cases in Europe the Norwegian government has advised everyone not to travel outside the country 

George 

I read somewhere that Nowegian oldies have better 25(OH)D than younger generations - attributed to their liking for pickled herring. But maybe the fortnight winter breaks in Canaries helps too.

We have family off-shoot in Oslo and they are all supplementing ( and several are medics)

Peter

Edited by Peter Cobbold
27 minutes ago, harlequin said:

I have a son who lives in Norway so get regular updates on what is happening,  when all this first began a lot of Norwegians were skiing in the Alps and anyone returning had to self isolate, my son had returned the week before the rule came in but still had to self isolate! no arguing, no but what ifs, just do it and every one did. The frontier with Sweden was closed and anyone who tried to sneak through recieved a big fine. People were told not to travel outside your local area and cars with registration plates from a different county were stopped constantly by the police to make sure the lockdown was observed 

It also helps having a fairly small population and a big country that has very long hours of daylight during the Summer. Most Norwegians are active out doors types so its unusual to see overweight people which must help.

With the recent upturn in cases in Europe the Norwegian government has advised everyone not to travel outside the country 

George 

Thanks George, that explains the difference from Sweden.

Pete

2 hours ago, Peter Cobbold said:

I read somewhere that Nowegian oldies have better 25(OH)D than younger generations - attributed to their liking for pickled herring. But maybe the fortnight winter breaks in Canaries helps too.

We have family off-shoot in Oslo and they are all supplementing ( and several are medics)

Peter

"attributed to their liking for pickled herring"

There you go, if that's not oily fish !

Mick Richards

2 hours ago, peejay4A said:

Any contra-indications of D3 alongside heart meds; ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, anticoagulants etc?

I take all of the above and more in addition to 2000 IU of D3 and I'm not aware of any issues and also it has never been questioned during dr visits.

Stan

45 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

"attributed to their liking for pickled herring"

There you go, if that's not oily fish !

Mick Richards

It's not just Pickled Herring that is popular in Scandinavia the weirdest fish dish is Lutefisk I have never had the courage to try it and once you have read the discription you will understand https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

George

53 minutes ago, foster461 said:

I take all of the above and more in addition to 2000 IU of D3 and I'm not aware of any issues and also it has never been questioned during dr visits.

Stan

Cheers Stan. 

3 hours ago, peejay4A said:

Any contra-indications of D3 alongside heart meds; ACE inhibitors, beta blockers, anticoagulants etc?

Pete, I have not read of any. Best you check with WebMD. Or Google Scholar with the string "drug name + 25(OH)D3". VitaminDwiki is worth  searching too.  D3 itself can lower BP. GP might be D3 aware by now- ask her how much she takes personally. otherwise you'll just get stock NICE, 400. Peter

16 minutes ago, ntc said:

I strongly suggest you seek proper advice from your doctor not the web

Thanks Neil.  I intend to and I should have made that clear in my post. 

If GP demurs, ask this: Sunlight  on skin can easily make 2000 IU in 20 minutes. If that drug combination were affected by D3 all pts would have to avoid sunshine? Max generation by skin is 10,000 to 20,000 IU per day.

Peter

14 hours ago, harlequin said:

It's not just Pickled Herring that is popular in Scandinavia the weirdest fish dish is Lutefisk I have never had the courage to try it and once you have read the discription you will understand https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lutefisk

George

Lutefisk?   That's nothing!  Tastes of slightly fishy blotting paper.   For those who wish the true Nordic fish dish experience, the test is Surströmming.

If you can stay in the same room when the blown tin is opened, you are an honourary Swede.    If you can eat it, you get a Nobel!

Edited by john.r.davies

Huh! 

So Gordon (Nancy Boy) Ramsay had to spit out his Hakarl, but James May (a Man's Man if therte ever was) kept his down and asked for more.

Whereas German food critic and author Wolfgang Fassbender wrote that "the biggest challenge when eating surströmming is to vomit only after the first bite, as opposed to before".

On 8/21/2020 at 10:53 AM, roy53 said:

So you are happy to help it spread  John

On 8/21/2020 at 11:18 AM, ntc said:

Yep beggars belief not the best way to represent the club 

A little delayed in responding gentlemen . . . .call of family duties, however;

You assume that I have, or will have, the virus. 

You assume that I have no care for my fellow man

You assume that I will be spread a virus I don't currently carry, by being distainful of the guidelines.

Assumption is most often, inaccurate.

As for being a poor representative of the club, I must admit, I find that comment difficult

Can I suggest that some mirror looking could in order.

20 hours ago, john.r.davies said:

Lutefisk?   That's nothing!  Tastes of slightly fishy blotting paper.   For those who wish the true Nordic fish dish experience, the test is Surströmming.

If you can stay in the same room when the blown tin is opened, you are an honourary Swede.    If you can eat it, you get a Nobel!

Maybe that's the answer! If your metabolism can survive the diet Covid is a walk over 

George 

It's not exactly a staple of the Swedish diet!   

In fact I suspect it is a Swedish joke on the rest of the world.     I was told that it started when the Swedish fishing fleet were caught in a Finnish harbour by storms, and the fish went sour in the holds.    They sold the catch to the Finns as a Swedish delicacy.    But as the Swedes tell the same jokes about Finns as we do about the Irish ( you know them, no need to repeat) I suspect that story as well.

But there is absolutely no doubt about the smell of surstromming!

JOhn

Edited by john.r.davies