Hi.

I have just been trying to glue on some new (came with the car in 2011 from Rimmer's) door pulls, I know they are not the best of fits but they are not too bad. The problem being is I just can’t get the contact adhesive to stick on them, now I’ve sanded them and wiped over with panel cleaner and the glue just pulls off in sheets and then you can roll it up it to a ball. It seems what ever it’s made of make the glue go off really quickly.

I welcome you views and recommendations as this is frustrating the hell out me and I nearly swore.:wacko:

As ever many thanks.

Hi Kev,

If you clean the top of the door meticulously with panel wipe or similar, and use Tiger seal, you will never have any issues with them falling off or moving ever again.

Easier if the door card is removed and you use X4 cable ties to hold in position and leave over night for it to dry properly.

I have not seen many TR6's that have these fitted properly, which is why most folk install after market door pulls, as per TR4/4A ?

Cheers.

Its not the door thats the problem I suspect, I would say its the top covers, theyre made of a horrid material that is full of the release agent that is used to get them out of the moulds and its really difficult to get rid of. You could try some good quality spirit wipe and soak a Scotchbrite pad in it and then clean the rear face off with this making sure you scuff it up properly then wipe off with a clean non woven cloth. You may need to do this to the door top as well now as I would think some of the release agent has transferred to it as well.

Stuart.

Hi guys, thanks for all your comments. Stuart is spot on as usual as I’ve not even gotten around to glueing the doors. They are all scuffed up and clean and ready to go. It’s these bloody crappie door tops which I’ve had for 9 years the glue just peels right off. I’ve tried so many different things that it’s starting to give me the right hump. What type of spirit would you recommend Stuart?

28 minutes ago, Kevo_6 said:

Hi guys, thanks for all your comments. Stuart is spot on as usual as I’ve not even gotten around to glueing the doors. They are all scuffed up and clean and ready to go. It’s these bloody crappie door tops which I’ve had for 9 years the glue just peels right off. I’ve tried so many different things that it’s starting to give me the right hump. What type of spirit would you recommend Stuart?

This is what I use, not cheap but it is good, dont forget the cleaning off with a clean cloth afterwards (before it evaporates) or all your doing is wiping the release agent around on the surface.

https://uk.maxmeyer.com/en/products/collision/preparation/maxmeyer-degreaser-3600/

Stuart.

6 minutes ago, stuart said:

This is what I use, not cheap but it is good, dont forget the cleaning off with a clean cloth afterwards (before it evaporates) or all your doing is wiping the release agent around on the surface.

https://uk.maxmeyer.com/en/products/collision/preparation/maxmeyer-degreaser-3600/

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, to be fair I hadn’t dried off with a dry clean cloth. I will give it another go before I decide my next step. 

Door tops do look good painted body colour and left as is.  Not original of course, but does give some contrast to the black everything else, if so equipped.

Graham

Hi Kev,

I think I have the same new door pulls, I have not installed them. They look nice, but are “greasy” in feel, likely due to the release agent Stuart mentioned. But I found them a bit to short too.

Related question:

Are the current Moss ones the same or better?
Waldi

Well I’ve tried everything, cleaning, sanding, scratching and every chemical I can lay my hands on but the contact adhesive will just peel away. I did a test piece of vinyl stuck to it for 24hrs then checked it and it peeled off easy as you like, the glue on the vinyl was stuck like sh#t to a blanket.

I’ve given up on them and Chucked them in a dark area out of sight.

Im looking into a different solution now.

21 minutes ago, Kevo_6 said:

Well I’ve tried everything, cleaning, sanding, scratching and every chemical I can lay my hands on but the contact adhesive will just peel away. I did a test piece of vinyl stuck to it for 24hrs then checked it and it peeled off easy as you like, the glue on the vinyl was stuck like sh#t to a blanket.

I’ve given up on them and Chucked them in a dark area out of sight.

Im looking into a different solution now.

The proper repro door tops from TR Shop stick down fine, Ive fitted lots and using the Dunlop glue from Woolies they dont come off.

Stuart.

Is your glue in date? Not something that has been laying around for a while?

23 minutes ago, stuart said:

The proper repro door tops from TR Shop stick down fine, Ive fitted lots and using the Dunlop glue from Woolies they dont come off.

Stuart.

Thanks Stuart, that’s one of the options that I’m looking into.

15 minutes ago, elclem1 said:

Is your glue in date? Not something that has been laying around for a while?

Yes I thought about this and bought a new small tin and tried that, still no good.

2 minutes ago, Michael Mckiernan said:

Hi Kev , have a look on the Silkaflex website for their range of adhesives.

Stuck a huge solar panel to the roof of our motor home ( brackets each end )

still rock solid 8 years later.

Mick.

Mick Thanks, I’ve got to a point now that I’ll get some other ones as the ones I have are also not a brilliant fit and one now is becoming a banana. I did also try some proper grip fill (wasn’t going to use it but just to test as that stuff does generally stick to anything) and that just peeled off as well.

You must remove all of the old glue.

I recently fitted the cheaper replica ones £40 rather than £140 ish.

I scuffed the surface to be glued with scotchbrite soaked in meths and used evostick impact adhesive. Put the surfaces together a little wetter than normal to enable a small amount of movement, taped them in place overnight and really solid by morning.

3 minutes ago, Andy Moltu said:

You must remove all of the old glue.

I recently fitted the cheaper replica ones £40 rather than £140 ish.

I scuffed the surface to be glued with scotchbrite soaked in meths and used evostick impact adhesive. Put the surfaces together a little wetter than normal to enable a small amount of movement, taped them in place overnight and really solid by morning.

Well you were more lucky than I Andy. No old glue in site every thing as clean as a clean thing and I’ve tried as you a little wetter than usual, 24 hrs later it slips off like a wet kipper.

Are the door pulls touching the door all along the door top. I had this prob and in the end used silkaflex or a decent mastic product. It works but you can never reuse them.clem

• 3 months later...

Hi.
Just to finish this thread off, I completed the door pulls/tops at the end of the summer and thought I’d share.

In the end after reading similar posts I contacted Richard Crewe-Read on this forum as many of you now as @rcreweread on this forum. Richard got me some made up in satin black as he had some Piano Black ones made up for another member.

They were at a very competitive price and he’s a great person to business with.
He can also do a dash amongst lots of other things.

I’m very happy customer and very happy with the outcome and here are some photos.

IMG_0827.JPG

IMG_0825.JPG

IMG_0826.JPG

IMG_0828.JPG

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

Edited by Kevo_6
2 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Kev - glad you were pleased with the results and thanks for all the compliments - my heads swelling so I had better go and hide it under Roger's hat, if he will lend it to me:wub:

Cheers -an embarrassed Rich!

Credit where credits due Rich.

On 8/20/2020 at 11:37 AM, TRTOM2498PI said:

Hi Kev,

If you clean the top of the door meticulously with panel wipe or similar, and use Tiger seal, you will never have any issues with them falling off or moving ever again.

Easier if the door card is removed and you use X4 cable ties to hold in position and leave over night for it to dry properly.

I have not seen many TR6's that have these fitted properly, which is why most folk install after market door pulls, as per TR4/4A ?

Cheers.

I gave up with the original door top pulls after replacing them 3 times in 40 years of ownership. I then went for post 74 door pulls which are the same as Spitfire ones, in the lower part of the door centers, which I got from the Spitfire grave yard, especially after finding out that my doors already had the cut outs for them in the metal work, all I needed was new door cards, mine were not in very good condition so it was a no brainer! My car is a 73 one, I do know that a lot of the proposed changes to CR cars did not go forward into production.

Bruce.