Early TR 2 Tonnneau fitting.

Given that my car is a very early TR2 I am interested in the evolution of the early cars.

One such issue is the location of the Tenax pins for the Tonneau. I have a set of holes in front of the screen vents which were filled by dome head nuts and bolts primed and painted body clour. The actual Tenax pins were fitted across the crash bar, inboad of the previous location.

Does any one else have this?

Rod

23 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

Given that my car is a very early TR2 I am interested in the evolution of the early cars.

One such issue is the location of the Tenax pins for the Tonneau. I have a set of holes in front of the screen vents which were filled by dome head nuts and bolts primed and painted body clour. The actual Tenax pins were fitted across the crash bar, inboad of the previous location.

Does any one else have this?

Rod

I have recently researched this issue for my long door TR2, TS3732E. What is your Commission number?

The cut off for the long tonneau (pegs on the metal under the windscreen frame) seems to be around TS1700E. Apparently the engineering change records for these changes are lost. I have confirmation that TS1757E has the pegs on the capping so it was before that.

There is a record with at least one company that the long tonneau went into the 5000s but this is guaranteed incorrect. I have numerous photos of cars, many obtained from this Forum, to attest that this wasn't the case.

There was another change at about TS3500E from the baby tenax to normal sized tenax. The zip was also extended to provide a half tonneau about the same time.

Hi John,

My Commission number is TS 430 so very early in the line but the holes obviously original and later fasteners fitted. This obviously reduces the amount of material needed for the Tonneau, accountants strike again!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod

Rod,

Yours would originally have been fitted with the 'long' tonneaux, with

the Tenax pegs in those holes between the dashboard alloy capping and the 

demister vents.It's too easy to fit the wrong tonneaux by drilling a few holes in the

capping and fitting the later, more generally available, shorter version.

I've not worked out how to easily fit the long cover onto the Tenax pegs especially as

blessed with the factory aeroscreens and brackets.

There's an 'early' TR2 on Ebay right now with exactly the wrong cover AND lift-a-dots,

along with quite a few other 'not quite right' details unfortunately.

Roger M-E