Rear end clunk

Morning all,

I’ve got a bit of a rear end cluck over bumps/rough road, almost like the boot wheel board is loose but it still does it with everything taken out.

I’ve given the rear wishbone bushes a go with the pry bar and can’t detect any movement, I’ve rebuilt the dampers, diff mount strengthening kit has been put in etc

Any usual suspect problems to check?

Thanks

Dan

When I hear such a clunck, the first place I check are the damper mounting bolts. Mine have worked loose occasionally despite locking washers and a good heave on the spanner. Rough roads definitely accelerate the process.

Mick

Hi

Have a look at the spare tyre fixing bolt that goes through the rear tubular cross member my rubber washers had deteriorated which in my case squeaked a lot like a suspension bush noise.

Alec

16 minutes ago, Mick Forey said:

When I hear such a clunck, the first place I check are the damper mounting bolts. Mine have worked loose occasionally despite locking washers and a good heave on the spanner. Rough roads definitely accelerate the process.

Mick

Thanks Mick, will give them a check, they were only put back on about 10 miles ago so hopefully they aren't loose.

16 minutes ago, alec said:

Hi

Have a look at the spare tyre fixing bolt that goes through the rear tubular cross member my rubber washers had deteriorated which in my case squeaked a lot like a suspension bush noise.

Alec

Thanks Alec, that all seems good, it is much more of a rattle/clonk that bush movement

1 hour ago, Mick Forey said:

Mick

For lever arm dampers, fit with longer bolts and a nyloc on the end otherwise they always come loose, even with loctite.

Jerry

55 minutes ago, DanTR6 said:

The build is on Instagram if you follow this link www.instagram.com/theroadwarrior_22/

One downside, its easy to hear clunks in the rear end :-)

The clunk could be the plug on the extension lead coming out!.

Only joking Dan. Do you need an instagram account to log on to see the build , or can anyone log on. I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to these things.

Paul

3 minutes ago, Harbottle said:

The clunk could be the plug on the extension lead coming out!.

Only joking Dan. Do you need an instagram account to log on to see the build , or can anyone log on. I am a bit of a dinosaur when it comes to these things.

Paul

Good one - I like it :-)

No, that link takes you to the web page and its public so you don't need an account, just copy and paste it into your browser if it doesn't work directly from this forum. 

Do you have a recording of the sweet straight six exhaust note synced to the accelerator pedal??

6 minutes ago, John McCormack said:

Do you have a recording of the sweet straight six exhaust note synced to the accelerator pedal??

Nope, no point pretending its something its not 

I just drive my other Triumph if I want the sound of the sweet straight 6 :-) 

Great project Dan, although without an Instagram account I could not view all of it.  I look forward to reading the article and seeing the car at the Triumph Weekend next year. Just imagine all that instant torque on the autosolo.

Mick

5 hours ago, Mick Forey said:

Great project Dan, although without an Instagram account I could not view all of it.  I look forward to reading the article and seeing the car at the Triumph Weekend next year. Just imagine all that instant torque on the autosolo.

Mick

Cheers Mick, I will certainly be getting it out to a few shows soon. I'm off out for a drive with a friend in his early 150 TR6 so we will see how it compares

7 hours ago, DanTR6 said:

Nope, no point pretending its something its not 

I just drive my other Triumph if I want the sound of the sweet straight 6 :-) 

The Ford F150 v6 ecoboost is very quiet other than the whine of the twin turbos when you step on it so Ford sends the sound of a V8 through the truck audio system.

Very much looking forward to the article Dan.

Stan

Hi Dan, I had a similar 'clunk' with my '6' ('Troy') a couple of years ago;  the steel tubes had un-glued themselves from the insides of the diff mounting bushes. This took someone of my limited intelligence quite a while to work out, but ended up being a fairly cheap & easy fix!

Hope this helps,

Cheers,

Paul.

8 hours ago, foster461 said:

The Ford F150 v6 ecoboost is very quiet other than the whine of the twin turbos when you step on it so Ford sends the sound of a V8 through the truck audio system.

Very much looking forward to the article Dan.

Stan

Its something I had looked into, there is a lot of debate about how safe quiet electric cars are at low speed in pedestrian areas. The car now has a CANbus system which I can pick up motor speed fairly easily, so its possible.