Given the typical incontinence of the marque I found that the exhaust in particular got stained badly with burnt on oil stains. A motorcycle friend and I were talking and he advised me that "Harpic 10x" toilet cleaner was ideal for this and is what the custom bike guys use to clean their stuff for shows.

Tried and I can tell you it really works well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod

43 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

Given the typical incontinence of the marque I found that the exhaust in particular got stained badly with burnt on oil stains. A motorcycle friend and I were talking and he advised me that "Harpic 10x" toilet cleaner was ideal for this and is what the custom bike guys use to clean their stuff for shows.

Tried and I can tell you it really works well!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rod

It works really well on stainless steel, but don't put it anywhere near chrome. It's a relatively strong acid.

30 minutes ago, SeanF said:

It works really well on stainless steel, but don't put it anywhere near chrome. It's a relatively strong acid.

True, “someone” used something similar to this on our chrome bathroom taps to clean off limescale and it strippet the chrome off, and no, it was not me...!

Magnus

7 hours ago, Drewmotty said:

Bar Keepers Friend is great for cleaning chrome wire wheels. 

Where does he live?

13 hours ago, SeanF said:

Not an acid. Very likely it's lye. Any product with lye in it, or just lye itself should do that job.

Ed

27 minutes ago, ed_h said:

Not an acid. Very likely it's lye. Any product with lye in it, or just lye itself should do that job.

Ed

Hi Ed,

The below is copied from the datasheet:

Ingredients

Per 100g of Liquid contains 9g of Hydrochloric Acid, Contains <5% Non-Ionic Surfactants, <5% Cationic Surfactants, Disinfectant, Perfume

Sorry, Sean.  I was looking at the Cif product pictured above. My mistake.

While on the topic, though, strong alkalais are usually more effective on cooked oil or grease. Acids will normally be less effective. However, if the discoloration is really more oxidation, then acids will be better.

The instructions probably say to rinse well, because residual hydrochloric acid will corrode stainless.

Ed

Edited by ed_h