Genuine original Surrey Top question

Hi 

Quick question. I'm about to re-fit my Surrey hard top onto LNK. Every spring when I remove it, I find part of the rubber header rail seal has stuck to the chrome top rail of the screen

It's an original ally top with the original rubber pad seal. Thinking of how I can protect it, tried polish on the screen chrome topper, didn't work. Maybe a plastic film of some sort between the two ?

It is very tired now but last time I looked I couldn't find a replacement and I'm keen to preserve the original seal. So, what do you do ? Tip and recommendations please 

Thank you

Ambersil do a silicone spray which I reckon would do the job.

Tim

Hi Roger

Thought about cling film but a bit thin maybe. Vaseline ? Maybe  :huh:

Hi Tim

Yes, looked at lots of silicone spray, wondered about reaction with OLD rubber and also, would it stay in place

Thanks both

Any more ?

This stuff is quite good for softening modern rubber seals and thus maintaining things water tight. I use it on my SLK. But the sellers like it a lot and don.t give it away!

Link to the French Amazon site

Nextzett 91480615 Bâton de soin en caoutchouc Blanc 100 ml https://www.amazon.fr/dp/B004B8GTQG/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xeeoFb09Q4NSY

james

It is a dry film food grade silicon so quite mild. Have always found it useful.

Tim

If you have one of these it's quite important that the rubbers between all the segmented roof pieces remain pliable and yet are non sticky to allow all the seals to remain watertight

And that means that you use some of this ...Gummi Pflege Stift.....Ahaa I see now back reading a post made by james an hour ago he is recommending the same on his SLK...SNAP !

https://www.ebay.co.uk/p/19031289759?iid=264693414278&chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=710-134428-41853-0&mkcid=2&itemid=264693414278&targetid=910259638509&device=c&mktype=pla&googleloc=1007138&poi=&campaignid=10199419342&mkgroupid=101401894785&rlsatarget=aud-629407027145:pla-910259638509&abcId=1145983&merchantid=101769095&gclid=CjwKCAjwj975BRBUEiwA4whRB1othzCla_oQ5dT1tMaf0s1IFkSgS7IN4TUTGG9iq9oiqbIlAS-ZGhoCFhAQAvD_BwE

It works well and the seals visibly become more pliable and "plump" upon application.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Thanks guys, good to have two recommends, noted and will purchase 

Has anybody actually used it on a Surrey, or have a similar problem (and what was your solution) ?

Thank you