Damaged AC Fuel Pump

So the restoration continues.....I decided to refurbish the original mechanical fuel pump having obtained a repair kit; all was going well until I tried to get the inlet & outlet valves out. The book says to gently lever them out with the tip of a screwdriver; that didn't work, neither did the application of any other tool in the garage. Eventually they came out but the alloy finish has been damaged with a couple of score marks :( Is this a problem? Is there a particular finish on the alloy body, is it terminal if it is scratched or can I smooth off the scratches with emery paper or similar, or is it curtains?

Many thanks

David

Hi David,

In the absence of a photo - if the surface of the valve counter bores is simply scratched then I wouldn't panic.

If you have made deep gouges (How deep is deep) then they will need cleaning up to get the valves back in.

I would not be tempted to use anything to seal them in. Any leakage would be nominal.

On my 4A pump I had a valve drop out twice. I made a plate to sit over it and keep it in. So far so good.

Roger

A scratch INSIDE the pump housing and you're worried about cosmetics?  Sheesh... I'd say the 62 people who passed were being nice.  :D

Seriously -- I'd smooth the finish to remove sharp edges and not give it another thought.  Be sure to get the new valves in the right positions.

But -- Dave Davies is the best.  I've had two pumps done by him, and I live 4000 miles away from Manchester!

Hi hamish,

If i remember correctly i had the same problem, the inlet/outlet valves are held in by three pressed flats round the edge of the recess. as long as you can seat the valve down into the original location and re-crimp you will be good to go. Hopefully you remember the location and orientation of the valves as one sucks ad the other blows.

As for scratches in this location I would and did dress them with some emery cloth and forgot about them. this is only a reseptical and  swirl of fuel is not an issue. 

Not seeing what you have but if really bad you could fill the scratches with JB weld and smooth off.

Rod

Edited by Rodbr
7 minutes ago, Rodbr said:

Hi hamish,

If i remember correctly i had the same problem, the inlet/outlet valves are held in by three pressed flats round the edge of the recess. as long as you can seat the valve down into the original location and re-crimp you will be good to go. Hopefully you remember the location and orientation of the valves as one sucks ad the other blows.

As for scratches in this location I would and did dress them with some emery cloth and forgot about them. this is only a reseptical and  swirl of fuel is not an issue. 

Not seeing what you have but if really bad you could fill the scratches with JB weld and smooth off.

Rod

Hi Rod

its not me with the issue.

H

You are right Roger

let me amend my statement 

“it’s not me with the issue — This Time”

Gentlemen thank you, and of course you are right I should have included a picture; here we are:

Does that change any of the advice?

Much appreciated 

DSC_0474_1.JPG

I’m not familiar with that style where the valves I presume press in. This was mine with a retaining plate screwed in

but I don’t think the scratches and burred edges should stop the valves/ pump from working  

43B49C77-A92B-4FFF-B7F7-76FE128282D3.jpeg

I spoke to Dave Davies about 2-3 weeks ago and learned that he has major problems with his eyes and currently is unable to undertake any refurbishment of fuel pumps.  It sounded as if he will need an operation to rectify the situation.

Ian Cornish

10 minutes ago, RogerH said:

HiHamish,

did the 'red' rotor arm come out of the pump !!! - wow

Roger

Yes Roger

its a racing mod. It sits in the glass filter bowl so the fuel is pre sparked for better burn :rolleyes:

No really I was in the middle of tracing a fault and couldn’t work out if it was fuel or spark related after it conked out On a hill climb run at Loton Park.

but honestly Dave Davies will ensure everything works perfectly and it’ll be shiny.

and remember when refitting the leaver sits on top of the cam lobe.

so sorry to hear that Dave has eye issues very sad hope it’s fixable

Edited by Hamish
Didn’t know Dave was poorly
23 minutes ago, Z320 said:

You still need some information?

Hi Marco, opinion seems to be that my careless damage can be safely dressed out with some fine grade abrasive

Best Regards, David

Hi David,

the only problems I heared about this two valves is - they are falling out after a change.

So in my opinion one option is not to touch them, if you had no problems with the pump.

And if you want to change them anyway best is to use a long nosed pliers and pull them straight out.

When you now press the new valves in give them some attention how easy or strong this is possible.

It could be a good idea to fix them with 3 punches, each a 1/3 turn further.

In my opinion there is no need to have them 100% sealed to the housing.

Have much success, Marco

Edited by Z320