Tyres again

Hi all

Stimulated by recent exchange re . tyres I checked those on my 6 today and see some slight cracks in the fronts.

I currently have Corsa 65  195/65s on rear and BF Goodrich 195/65s on front.

The garage I use for tyres on my other cars seem to have problems obtaining some makes so - although I have seen the recommendations for Pirelli and other tyres on recent e,mails,

I want to go to the garage with a range of best possible ones. So, are there any other tyres that member would recommend - I have the standard steel wheels.

Best Wishes

Ernest

I am  

Ernest, As I said, I have 165 x 15 Pirelli Cinturato CA67’s. They are brand new, but designed to look period, but with modern grip level, I love them. You can also get Michelin XAS.  Both of these choices are period.  After that, it’s a more modern tread pattern. Have a chat with the team at Longstone Tyres. Good luck.

48308CB0-17A4-4087-9681-5CAC9918BF94.jpeg

Mike, I had 195’s on prior. I had more grip, of course, but much less progressive. The car would hang on and then let go very suddenly and you had to be quick to get it back again. Whilst outright grip is less, I prefer the current setup more and the much lighter steering across the speed range is a bonus. It depends what you are looking for I guess.

2 hours ago, Mike C said:

I've got the standard steel wheels fitted with 195/R15 P6 Pirelli's, they give me very good handling and are readily available in Australia.

Mike, 

The 195s gave you very good GRIP, the 165s give you handling as Yarm 783 points out. I raced for 3 years on 195s and the grip increase was noticeable but not anywhere as nice a car to drive as on 165s.

Mick Richards

2 hours ago, Yarm 783 said:

Ernest, As I said, I have 165 x 15 Pirelli Cinturato CA67’s. They are brand new, but designed to look period, but with modern grip level, I love them. You can also get Michelin XAS.  Both of these choices are period.  After that, it’s a more modern tread pattern. Have a chat with the team at Longstone Tyres. Good luck.

48308CB0-17A4-4087-9681-5CAC9918BF94.jpeg

You need a small mortgage to buy a set of those!

185/70 Michelin XWX share the same diameter as the 165-15  XAS; similar cost. I think the XAS will do 40K+ miles where the XWX will be lucky to do 30K. This of course is moot unless you're doing 5K miles per year as the tyres will time out before the tread is gone with less use.

Phenomenal either way, the XAS is skinnier ( if looks matter ) but won't pick up rocks like the XWX and others will, to the detriment of paintwork in harm's way. The period look is seductive for me as well, and though IMO the performance is no match for these Michelins the Dunlop SP Sport Aquajet vintage tyre has quite the vintage look too, and won't pick up rocks either.

I am dismayed by the common choice now of the Vredestein summer-use-only tyres, even on very valuable cars. No attributes I can see other than low price.

Tom

These are good and look the part as well as performance, https://tyres.buycarparts.co.uk/retro-4717622045123-j7711

And in 165 https://www.tyreleader.co.uk/car-tyres/retro/rc-001/165-80-r15-86h-822035

Stuart.

Edited by stuart
18 minutes ago, stuart said:

I've got these, they seem fine and are a sensible price.

1 hour ago, Ernest said:

Thanks Stuart

For these links and the recommendation - just hope that my local tyre fitters can obtain them. They could not get the wet-weather tyres

I want to replace on my VW Campervan.

Best Wishes

Ernest

Hi Ernest

This is a review by WhatTyre and the Retro Classic doesn't stack up too well. Don't want to put you off, but they seem quite pricey for what they are....

" NOT RECOMMENDED: RETRO & ???

Both the seventh-placed Retro RC 001 and the nameless wooden spoon recipient were ‘not recommended’, primarily due to their performances in the wet.

The verdict on the RC 001 was that it offered “harmonious driving behaviour and good driving and ride comfort on dry roads.” So far, so good, but the Retro was slammed for its “deficient lateral guidance, unbalanced driving behaviour with strong oversteer on wet surfaces, much too long braking distances and low aquaplaning reserves.”

The tyre bought online displayed good safety reserves in the aquaplaning test. But its braking distances were “much too long” in the wet and its braking in the dry was unimpressive. Further issues included “unbalanced driving characteristics with little lateral guidance and spongy steering on wet and dry roads.”

https://whattyre.com/news/classic-look-new-technology-auto-bild-tests-tyres-for-yesterdays-heroes/

Kevin

Edited by boxofbits

You heard it here first both from Tom in his TR250 On 185s and myself in numerous other posts.

“Both tanked in the high-speed test when performed according to Auto Bild’s stricter requirements (with two degrees camber), but passed the standard test performed according to UNECE requirements.“

Too much camber, or another one of my favourites a front anti roll bar which prevents roll, just means you have maybe 15-20% of the tyre NOT even touching the road surface. 2 degree camber in the dry ok but it compromises wet handling and grip.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
3 minutes ago, DRD said:

I always take these tyre reviews with a pinch of salt. Highly dependent on the specifics of the test.

It depends. I'd suggest that the journal has conducted a fair test across all 8 tyres, used the same car, the Healey 3000 to evaluate each tyre, and presumably under the same environmental and road surface conditions. I would therefore conclude that the specifics, circumstances, or criteria of the test, whatever you want to call it, are identical.

What other information would you go by, and would you, after reading the report go out and spend nearly £80 each on the Retro ? I wouldn't.

Despite buying Nankang myself, I think some of the traditional brands like Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli take some beating.

15 minutes ago, DRD said:

I always take these tyre reviews with a pinch of salt. Highly dependent on the specifics of the test.

Total different viewpoint here!

https://citroenclassics.wordpress.com/2014/06/25/new-budget-tyre-for-d-models/

Absolutely proves my point !

What other cars in the world are noted for rolling as as much as Citroen’s ? No extra anti roll bars here just grip accrued by allowing the tyre to roll and present a whole tyre tread ( and sometimes more) to the road.

Mick Richards

3 hours ago, stuart said:

Those are really cheap! It's a knockoff of the Michelin XVS which is a superb tyre but picks up rocks too large for the XAS. 

https://classic.michelin.com/en/Classic-Tyre-range/XVS

Tom

2 minutes ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

You heard it here first both from Tom in his TR250 On 185s and myself in numerous other posts.

“Both tanked in the high-speed test when performed according to Auto Bild’s stricter requirements (with two degrees camber), but passed the standard test performed according to UNECE requirements.“

Too much camber, or another one of my favourites a front anti roll bar which prevents roll, just means you have maybe 15-20% of the tyre NOT even touching the road surface. 2 degree camber in the dry ok but it compromises wet handling.

Mick Richards

I agree with that, especially a car with no roll characteristics (roll bar at the front) I would have thought would have a tendency to 'push', but just looking at the profile and quality of the Retro looks like the sidewall might do most of the gripping under those conditions?

Curiously, the test car had oversteer, but I suppose with all 4 tyres rolling under it could've gone just about anywhere! Tbh honest most of these classic car tyres look like they are outdated s#*t.

Kevin

1 hour ago, boxofbits said:

It depends. I'd suggest that the journal has conducted a fair test across all 8 tyres, used the same car, the Healey 3000 to evaluate each tyre, and presumably under the same environmental and road surface conditions. I would therefore conclude that the specifics, circumstances, or criteria of the test, whatever you want to call it, are identical.

What other information would you go by, and would you, after reading the report go out and spend nearly £80 each on the Retro ? I wouldn't.

Despite buying Nankang myself, I think some of the traditional brands like Dunlop, Michelin, Pirelli take some beating.

I've  been using them for a couple of years now, and they seem fine under all the conditions I've used them for. Just as good as the Vedrestein ones I had before.

I cant justify spending nearly £200 per tyre on a car that only does a couple of 1,000 miles a year.

2 hours ago, Motorsport Mickey said:

Too much camber, or another one of my favourites a front anti roll bar which prevents roll, just means you have maybe 15-20% of the tyre NOT even touching the road surface. 2 degree camber in the dry ok but it compromises wet handling and grip.

Mick Richards

Mine is a ex US car so 185 is the correct size. A 165 would make the speedo over read by 5-6%

3 hours ago, boxofbits said:

The use of a Healey 3000 is definitely worse case scenario, they are notoriously front end heavy and drive like a lorry, I have restored half a dozen of them and every time I used to road test them  I had to go for a drive in a TR afterwards to feel better ;):lol:

Several TR6 owners are running them and Ive not heard any complaints

Stuart.

1 hour ago, stuart said:

The use of a Healey 3000 is definitely worse case scenario, they are notoriously front end heavy and drive like a lorry, I have restored half a dozen of them and every time I used to road test them  I had to go for a drive in a TR afterwards to feel better ;):lol:

Several TR6 owners are running them and Ive not heard any complaints

Stuart.

They might've picked a better testbed than a Healey 3000 I agree :o!  Though probably best to pick a car that's going to be heavy on the tyres, and I suppose consistency throughout testing is the key to accurate data no matter what you use.

At best with all 8 sets of tyres it was probably bloody awful, and it's successor the MGC was no better :lol:

Kevin

PS. If you find 'Nameless Budget Tyre' printed on your sidewalls then you really do need to start worrying! :lol:

Edited by boxofbits