J-type overdrive - determining the solenoid earth terminal

Hi y'all - my J-type overdrive gave up on my GT6 (it's a conversion using a Dolomite 1850 J-type - no relay, just power from the reversing light circuit) so I bought a replacement solenoid; however it's different from the original and I cannot connect it to the loom as easily. Both cables emerge from the body, not as spade terminals, there is a code BB5 on the side, and the two wires are green / white and brown. I don't know if it even makes any difference if the wrong connection is made to earth, but I'd like to make sure before fitting. On the original power goes to one and the other is just earthed to the gearbox body. Any ideas on how to wire this one correctly?

Original on left - it's seized solid and the plunger does not move; newer silver version on right.

DSCF9466.jpg.93704f1b27315a03df68a230d09dcd5d.jpg

Edited by UlsterTR7

Overdrive solenoids are not supposed to be polarity sensitive so you can connect it either way round. However, for the purposes of convention I suggest the brown wire should be power. 

With a multimeter, check whether either of those wires is connected in some way to the metal of the casing.  If it is, make that the earth and the other the power.

If neither linked to the casing, go with Rob's suggestion.

Ian Cornish