New hump on the road to restoration

1 hour ago, David Owen said:

It originally had a glass filter there is that what you'd recommend>

Re- route the fuel line to below the thermostat housing as original.  The fuel filter will not then be heated by the exhaust manifold.  Could be a bit Apollo 13 if it melts onto the exhaust and pumps fuel out of the burnt hole.

Consider looking at the state of that top hose you have fitted.   It too could be too long and it's extra length is causing the radiator to be tipped forward, thus raising the filler cap to touch the bonnet.

Cheers

Peter W

PS two images of the fuel pipe route under the thermostat housing on my car.

IMG_2355.JPG

IMG_2356.JPG

Edited by BlueTR3A-5EKT
photos added

If you have the original fuel pump why do you need a filter there at all David?  The glass filter bowl before the pump is usually enough. 

2 hours ago, RobH said:

If you have the original fuel pump why do you need a filter there at all David?  The glass filter bowl before the pump is usually enough. 

That's plastic as well.  Hmmm.  They were changed due to the safety check/licensing requirements.

Need to do some research.

5 minutes ago, David Owen said:

Need to do some research.

On your question about glass filters: they can be dodgy. Known to be prone to breaking. Plastic ones, if cheapo variety, can come apart.

If the tank is clean and the filter gauze in the pump bowl is fitted then you shouldnt need one,  a glass one is a better option though needs to be away from exhaust.

Stuart.

20 hours ago, BlueTR3A-5EKT said:

Re- route the fuel line to below the thermostat housing as original.  The fuel filter will not then be heated by the exhaust manifold.  Could be a bit Apollo 13 if it melts onto the exhaust and pumps fuel out of the burnt hole.

Consider looking at the state of that top hose you have fitted.   It too could be too long and it's extra length is causing the radiator to be tipped forward, thus raising the filler cap to touch the bonnet.

Cheers

Peter W

PS two images of the fuel pipe route under the thermostat housing on my car.

20 hours ago, RobH said:

Thank you.  The car had a filter there when I bought it so we (the safety guy and I) decided to replace that filter until I could figure out why it was there. 

Thanks for the fuel line pictures.  That makes sense and I can move the filter substantially away from anything hot and keep it in place as I haven't figured out why it's there.

The radiator top hose does need shortening.  This thread helped me figure that out.  I have a good 1 1/2 inches before the fan hits anything so this shouldn't be a problem to correct to the appropriate 4 1/2".

3 hours ago, stuart said:

If the tank is clean and the filter gauze in the pump bowl is fitted then you shouldnt need one,  a glass one is a better option though needs to be away from exhaust.

Stuart.

I have concerns about the tank.  There was dirt in the second filter as well as the first before we started work on it.

On 8/17/2020 at 8:19 PM, David Owen said:

Thank you.

I omitted to mention that racing/rally spares retailers sell US made ones that have alloy casings — aluminium? — in which the paper filter is hidden from view. These may be the safest and best. This is the make.

50332603275040_4-700x700.jpg

Edited by DavidBee
Added link (reference)
4 hours ago, DavidBee said:

I omitted to mention that racing/rally spares retailers sell US made ones that have alloy casings — aluminium? — in which the paper filter is hidden from view. These may be the safest and best. This is the make.

50332603275040_4-700x700.jpg

Thanks David.  I am moving the fuel line to it's proper routing next week and will replace the filter with one of those.  Hopefully I will get the radiator repositioned at the same time.