Evening Folks,

Speedo fail #1 - couple of years back - quickly narrowed to angle drive with your help Folks - angle drive replaces and gearbox tunnel access panel added for good measure - happy.

Speedo fail #2 - couple of days back :rolleyes:.   Sudden large fluctuations in the needle (up and down between 20 and 60) with a slight but terminal sounding mechanical noise  -  a couple of seconds later and it froze at 40 before then dropping to zero.  The cable square end driver thing is turning when running and cannot be stopped by hand (so not a fail #1).  I have whipped the instrument out and got to grips with https://www.szott.com/lotusinfo/Smith-jaeger_speedo_repair.pdf.  On the inside of the speedo the magnet bar only does a half turn before meeting some sort of stop/block - i cant see what it is as i am having difficulty getting the needle off and therefore the face is still on.   

Just thought i would check in case there was a quick fix i am missing - any thoughts gratefully received.  However, I get the feeling that i will be wasting my time doing any more and that i will be best packing the speedo off to John Ostick. 

cheers!

Dave

Hi Dave, the needle is pressed on to a taper (much like the hands of a watch or clock) and can be removed by holding the magnet and twisting the needle gently, but from your description it sounds like something mechanical has jammed or is broken so best to pack it off for repair/restoration.

Cheers Rob 

Needle is not connected to the magnet, but to the aluminium disk. to remove the needle you need to pull it away from the dial in as straight a line as possible.

I use a clock makers tool, or two X small screwdrivers to lever it off.

Bob.