Bosch fuel pump pulsing

Hi

As part of a rebuild I have installed a new Bosch fuel pump, after a couple of minutes of the engine starting the pump becomes noisy and seems to pulse, this affects the engine performance as if its not pushing fuel through.Any ideas on what might be coursing this to happen ?

Thanks

Rob

Welcome,   Can you tell us a bit more, have you fitted just a Bosch pump with the original CAV filter? or have you fitted one of the kits with the Bosch pump and its own filter.

Which pressure regulator is fitted, diaphragm or the old original one?

A couple of phots will always be helpful as well.

John 

Hi John

Thanks for your reply the original CAV filter is not fitted, I've fitted one of the kits with the Bosch pump, the original regulator is fitted.

Some background on the car it had been stood since the early eighties, I installed the Bosch fuel pump and got the car to run although briefly there did not appear to be any noise or pulsing from the pump, following that the car has been completely stripped the engine rebuilt and the car put back put back together.

I will get some pictures of the installation and add them.

Cheers

Rob

E729ED65-307A-454F-82A5-67ADC20715D6.thumb.jpeg.2ff614c33b6911025fa35e0a271fc71b.jpegI always had trouble with the Bosch type pump until I had this one fitted by Carl Fitchitt, is yours set up like this or similar.68AC3D06-6EFD-46FC-96F3-C633ED58F774.thumb.jpeg.5aab3e8e0e2f918fd15f7a355ee42fda.jpeg20CC8268-1A34-4400-9DFE-61735E794C75.thumb.jpeg.fa06796a7d953db44ad55405395f453a.jpeg

Edited by Paul Hill

Did you reset the PRV after installing the new pump? Could be cavitating by trying to pump a lot more fuel if the new pump's curve is working at  a much higher pressure/ flow point  than the old one.

Edited by Mike C
19 hours ago, Rob Best said:

Hi

As part of a rebuild I have installed a new Bosch fuel pump, after a couple of minutes of the engine starting the pump becomes noisy and seems to pulse, this affects the engine performance as if its not pushing fuel through.Any ideas on what might be coursing this to happen ?

Thanks

Rob

Hi Rob,

Without seeing your install I cannot be certain but it sounds to me that you have the dreaded Harmonic banging? What type of PRV do you have? and what type of HP hose have you got from pump to PRV? Then I can comment properly! I hope that you have not got one of Malcom's 1000 psi S/S braided hoses as they cause this problem and then you have to buy one of his  Diaphragm PRV to cure it? Its been a good earner for him? You only need a hose rated at 150 to 200 psi made from Gates type rubber to cure the problem with a standard PRV!

Bruce.