As promised a video of my recent Curborough sprint that has a figure of 8 track layout. 

it was wet and some kind fiat added oil to the track just to make like interesting.

I ended up 2nd in class on the day behind Steve Small and his race prepared TR7V8 but 1st in class on handicap.

ironically If it had stayed properly wet I May have been first overall 

ah well Steve is very competitive and an accomplished driver who was i to ruin his hat trick .

Hamish - it's clear that you have overdrive as you use it at Shelsley on 3rd on two occasions. 

I've never competed in my TR4, and I am curious as to why at Shelsley you do not use overdrive on 2nd gear.

When I give demo runs at Kop Hill (sadly, not this year), I always use overdrive on 2nd to fill the gap between 2nd and 3rd - I find it exceedingly useful as it gets me further up the torque curve when I move from 6000 in overdrive 2nd into 3rd.

Ian Cornish

Hi Ian

i don’t use 2nd od as 2nd to 3rd is good I use 3rd od as it’s quicker and buys the revs I need.

i used to use 2nd od at the likes of Curborough. 

but I now have a 4.1:1 diff AND 55 profile tyres for racing so gearing is even lower 

Hope that answers it ?

Hamish - I imagine that you have tried overdrive 2nd at Shelsley and found no benefit, and clearly you're the man in the hot seat!

There's quite a jump between 2nd and 3rd on a standard TR box (on a 3.7 axle, it's approx 10mph/1000rpm to 15/1000) and overdrive 2nd is almost exactly halfway between (12.5mph/1000), which is a very useful ratio.  Kop Hill is unlike Shelsley, being pretty near straight but a slope with an angle which keeps increasing all the way, and that's why I find overdrive 2nd so very useful there, especially with a Logic control and a flick switch (not the usual TR4 wand!) by my right hand so that I don't have to take my hand off the wheel.

Some people think overdrive 3rd is too close to top, but it has the great advantage of instantaneous change with full power being maintained over the change - very useful on winding roads out in the countryside!

Forgot to say that I enjoyed your videos - carry on having fun, which it's clear you are.

Ian Cornish

• 2 months later...

Hi Folks

just finished loading another of Dads films on YouTube 

this time Formula Junior of 1960 the first full year of this “new” racing formula. 
still amazed with who he mixed with. As an ex-Cooper race car driver (his own not works !)he was mates with all these people. 
hope you enjoy

still loads more to come if you want them  

modern era racing (1960’s) to early VSCC vintage  

let me know what you fancy just doing them in date order at the moment.

Great stuff thanks Hamish, 

Who’s the commentator ? ... He’s brilliant, what a sense of timing.... (eg somewhere around the 7minute mark when he says "the standard of preparation is so high" just as camera zooms in on the SU carb held together with black sticky tape!) - Classic ... in every sense of the word :)

11 minutes ago, Tony_C said:

Great stuff thanks Hamish, 

Who’s the commentator ? ... He’s brilliant, what a sense of timing.... (eg somewhere around the 7minute mark when he says "the standard of preparation is so high" just as camera zooms in on the SU carb held together with black sticky tape!) - Classic ... in every sense of the word :)

Whilst I think the film commentary credit is my dad I think it’s a mate of his Tim Pemberton. 
it was all carefully edited and scripted at the time. 

I think it’s interesting that it was “veber”  not “Weber” in those days. 

they get better with more variety of cars as the years go on. 

The man who invented the Weber carburettor appears to have been Italian, and he started his career working for FIAT in Torino (it was FIAT back then, the initials of the company's name, but nowadays it's Fiat).

The odd thing is that W (like J and K) doesn't exist in the modern 23 letter Italian alphabet, but regional dialects and languages, such as Piemontese and Sicilian, include some of the extra letters.

I listened to some pronunciations of Weber carburettor by English, Amercians and Italians, and it would seem that the Italians favour veber, even if it is not German.

So, stick to whatever pronunciation you prefer!

Ian Cornish

1 hour ago, MilesA said:

Following in your father's footsteps and mixing with the greats eh Hamish....?

1679091736_ScreenShot2020-11-19at16_38_12.thumb.png.57ee23104451b27051135a4de8e323d2.png

Yeah I let Lewis name his dog after me. He went with Roscoe as he thought Hamish too ridiculous  !!

Ok so I haven’t made you wait too long for my dads next film. 

wheelspin ‘61

we have moved to 1961 and is a more commercial film made with BRSCC. So there is more variety of cars and racing and even more stars both racing and tv and film.

due to an element of BRSCC support the film is longer. 

it does contain smoking - (so I hope YouTube doesn’t pull it)- but the big race was sponsored but the Guards cigarette brand. It’s my mum lighting up a cigarette. She soon gave up tho ....

hope you enjoy - even if a bit corny by today’s standards -but it was before monty python tho......

Bob I don’t know who’s the piano was. But the pram in the previous film was my OLDER brothers. 

H