A TR3a Road Trip

An interesting last sentence, David.  "My point being that I would not have opted for a ski mask in the frame. But it would have been a deliberate choice. Leaving it open to justifiable criticism."

I haven't looked up the history of that Jaguar but as a car it is certainly desirable. However, the three items I mentioned were enough stem any interest to look further at the auction.

So, it didn't work for me. I thought I read somewhere that if you didn't like an advert, then it wasn't made with you in mind. All I can say is that there is a huge amount of publicité that the makers filmed without thinking of me !:rolleyes:

Edited by TwinCamJohn
10 minutes ago, TwinCamJohn said:

An interesting last sentence, David.  "My point being that I would not have opted for a ski mask in the frame. But it would have been a deliberate choice. Leaving it open to justifiable criticism."

I haven't looked up the history of that Jaguar but as a car it is certainly desirable. However, the three items I mentioned were enough stem any interest to look further at the auction.

So, it didn't work for me. I thought I read somewhere that if you didn't like an advert, then it wasn't made with you in mind. All I can say is that there is a huge amount of publicité that the makers filmed without thinking of me !:rolleyes:

Sometimes, all it takes is a "telling" detail. But the way I see it John is that I can still learn something from the good bits. I am often put off by an insensitive music track. Too loud or at loggerheads with the image track.

What is allowed to go in as tongue-in-cheek humour from the editor's point of view might boomerang and the satisfaction from an off the cuff type joke short lived.

2 hours ago, DavidBee said:

...I interviewed a filmmaker who was once Antonioni's assistant director...

When ever I hear the name Antonioni it always reminds me of a girl I used to know in the 1970’s. She was intelligent, but did not really have time for “The Arts”  (I knew her because she bought a bed off me, and I delivered it by tying it on top of my 3A, after taking the screen off.)

I once said to her:

“There is a new film out called ‘Profession Reporter’. It stars Jack Nicholson and Maria Schneider and it’s produced by Michelangelo Antonioni. Shall we go and see it?”.

She said she had heard of Nichoson and Schneider, but not "the other two.” (Other TWO???)

“It all sounds a bit too ‘Arty’ for my liking”, she continued.
“I mean, what sort of person calls themselvers ‘Michel Angelo’ and the other guy ‘Tony Owney’ --- he sounds more like a New York taxi driver.”

So I went to see it on my own. Yes, it was “Arty”, but, a bit like David says, all the stuff in every frame was there for a reason.
(And no one needed to wear a ski mask.)

I’ve seen it several times since (In the UK it’s called “The Passanger”.) Well worth a viewing.

------
A bit of nerdy comment now…
The film is basically a road trip across Europe, but with an excellent plot.
As the story was written, Nicholson’s friend (Maria) was meant to do the driving.
After she was given the part they discovered that she could not drive….
She she became the passanger.
-------

Charlie.

Edited by Charlie D
11 minutes ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Did you test the bed ?

Ahhh...

That is a secret between the girl, the bed, and me.

(Bloody typical of a French man to ask a question like that...)

Charlie.

14 hours ago, Charlie D said:

When ever I hear the name Antonioni it always reminds me of a girl I used to know in the 1970’s. She was intelligent, but did not really have time for “The Arts”  (I knew her because she bought a bed off me, and I delivered it by tying it on top of my 3A, after taking the screen off.)

I once said to her:

“There is a new film out called ‘Profession Reporter’. It stars Jack Nicholson and Maria Schneider and it’s produced by Michelangelo Antonioni. Shall we go and see it?”.

She said she had heard of Nichoson and Schneider, but not "the other two.” (Other TWO???)

“It all sounds a bit too ‘Arty’ for my liking”, she continued.
“I mean, what sort of person calls themselvers ‘Michel Angelo’ and the other guy ‘Tony Owney’ --- he sounds more like a New York taxi driver.”

So I went to see it on my own. Yes, it was “Arty”, but, a bit like David says, all the stuff in every frame was there for a reason.
(And no one needed to wear a ski mask.)

I’ve seen it several times since (In the UK it’s called “The Passanger”.) Well worth a viewing.

------
A bit of nerdy comment now…
The film is basically a road trip across Europe, but with an excellent plot.
As the story was written, Nicholson’s friend (Maria) was meant to do the driving.
After she was given the part they discovered that she could not drive….
She she became the passanger.
-------

Charlie.

Fascinating! Thanks, Charlie, I love to hear such stories. Funny when people, then and now, automatically label a film, because... I think because they are worried it will be too taxing, not just fun, a good laugh, entertainment (though I like films like that too).

Amtonioni's best is his Trilogy, made in the early 1960s. Brilliant. La notte stands out. Passenger is also excellent. The character is not a hero and not a role model. By then, A was interested in doubt, uncertainty, alienation. All excellent for jokes about being too serious a Continental. But that doesn't take away from the loss of optimism which came after Auschwitz and especially since the 1970s.

(A started life as an architect, which explains his extreme sensitivity to filming the built environment as if it were a sculpture).

Edited by DavidBee
Putting film titles in italics