A TR3a Road Trip

An attempt at a video of a short road trip in the Derbyshire hills.

whilst trying to get to grips with video editing and commentary on the move :wacko:

It’s the average speed cameras that really spoil the fun. 
not that I ever speed ...

Very nice Hamish. Reminds me of motoring across the top of Dartmoor . . .

That's an impressively clear commentary by the way: very little wind noise and a great exhaust note.

What was your mic set-up? I'm guessing lavalier mic and a 'dead cat'?

Nice one!

Your voice over soinds confident and clear, sound track not too booming from wind noise. You can tell that here is someone who loves his TR and the constantly smiling rear view mirror confirms it.

I like that you set up the camera on the roadside to get footage of the car in two external point of view shots.

I don't know if you welcome feedback, some people do and others don't.

First of all, I find this kind of thing very enjoyable. I am a fan.

I think intercutting works very well. I felt that from 10.45 when there was less or no commentary gave the viewer more space. I would have more atmos and less comnentary, what I mean is that I would intersperse atmos with commentary. Put in gaps. It makes the commentary more compelling.

I would also combine static shots with technical commentary, with the open road footage. Nice to see the person face to face on the screen too. Head and shoulders speaking to the camera, possibly ice breaker, then the drive. Beginning with turning over the engine and push ignition as a shot in itself. Introducing more variety. Blipping the SUs and shouting over them might be fun, for example. Or intercutting the last hillclimb and dissolving the shot into oprn road drive, perhaps.

This is all said with future filming in mind, including my own, soon, hopefully. I don't have a GoPro, but I do have a Sony RX100 vi and a spider-type short tripod you can wrap around an Alley bar.

1 hour ago, Deggers said:

What was your mic set-up? I'm guessing lavalier mic and a 'dead cat'?

I have a second hand GoPro hero 3

with this remote mic that can either do the exhaust OR the vocals

3.5mm External Microphone W/ Collar Clip Mic+Adapter Cable for GoPro Hero 4 3+ https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/391712214030

David I like the feedback. My issues are with the shots available at one time the mic will either do voice or exhaust ( or other noise as desired) this leads to continuity Problems especially on a drive.

but I like your idea of completely separate shot types that would aid the continuity issues.

i don’t have a good editing software either that video took me about 6 hours to sort out learning how to along the way.

but I’ll keep trying thanks to all of the feedback  

I have suggested to Steve Denton that we do a joint video-  his are great and some of my onboard racing footage.

https://www.youtube.com/c/SteveDentonClassics

thank you all

H

3 minutes ago, Hamish said:

I like your idea of completely separate shot types that would aid the continuity issues.

You could consider story boarding a few sequences, by sketching the shots, can be done with very simple drawing, even stick men. You could also have two tracks and merge them. So, one would be the voiceover done in a quiet room, preferably carpeted and curtains closed, the other the live atmos, roads, wind, that ENGINE of yours!

Think about it: your voice doesn't have to be in synch, since your back is turned to the camera.

It only does when you are facing the camera. You could even record the sound for engine bay shot as separate track and merge later.

All editing software allows you to do this, even the most basic.

Consider also writing out a script and then matching it with shots. In other words, planning the film more. Then it becomes a real short! I haven't made any for ages, but now you are making me want to do it again.

What device and software are you using for editing Hamish ?. There are some excellent free options like Shotcut that are very powerful but have a bit of a learning curve. That is what I have been using on a Windows 10 laptop for my video experiments.

Stan

I have an old secondhand macbook (had it 2 weeks) with NCH VIDEOPAD 

I’ll get there with a bit of learning practice.

next videos will be Shelsely and Curborough I hope to add some paddock shots

23 minutes ago, Hamish said:

next videos

If you begin to think of what you do as filming, then what you do will become films, short films, or just "shorts".

"Videos" to my mind, never spread their wings. They are two entirely different concepts... and practices.

One objection to this way of thinking about the moving image states that film stands for celluloid, whereas video and "video-ing" stands for digital.

But it doesn't! Video is also antiquated. It stood for video tape, i.e. magnetic tape. That became obsolescent 20 years ago.

To think in terms of a short film, is, admittedly, to think big. But, then, it seems to me that with a 4A front suspension, a TR6 'box, a 4:1 rear axle ratio, a Quaife limited slip, you are thinking big already, Hamish. And digital technology is easy, cheap, and readily available.

1 hour ago, DavidBee said:

If you begin to think of what you do as filming, then what you do will become films, short films, or just "shorts".

"Videos" to my mind, never spread their wings. They are two entirely different concepts... and practices.

One objection to this way of thinking about the moving image states that film stands for celluloid, whereas video and "video-ing" stands for digital.

But it doesn't! Video is also antiquated. It stood for video tape, i.e. magnetic tape. That became obsolescent 20 years ago.

To think in terms of a short film, is, admittedly, to think big. But, then, it seems to me that with a 4A front suspension, a TR6 'box, a 4:1 rear axle ratio, a Quaife limited slip, you are thinking big already, Hamish. And digital technology is easy, cheap, and readily available.

David, I'm sure we will all benefit from your expertise. I did a lot of promo videos during my working life, followed around by a crew that captured the interview with me and a lot of B footage. An all day thing that resulted in a three minute film.

Roger (Pogo) did a nice production with his son a couple of years ago. Lots of different camera positions that made the whole thing interesting and engaging. The difference between capturing a moment on video vs telling a story.

As Hamish is discovering capturing the raw video is the easy part and I like the storyboard idea, it makes you think about the story you want to tell.

Personally, I'm happy if people strap on a camera and upload the video. The shots of the cars and the local roads are priceless.

Stan

9 hours ago, Hamish said:

I have suggested to Steve Denton that we do a joint video . . .

Having an extra cameraman along for the ride will give you a lot of new options when it comes to editing, as well as plenty of great B roll footage. 

In car close-ups of gear changes, dashboard instruments and yourself behind the wheel, are a lot easier with a friend onboard to do the shooting  -  whilst leaving you free to get on with the driving.

Exterior shots needn't be static either. Attaching your GoPro to the rear of a friends car (facing backwards towards your TR), and having them drive ahead of you as a 'lead camera car', will give you some interesting extras.

Action shots (through dust or water etc) can be made to look even more impressive when slowed down by about a quarter, in post production.

Also, take ideas from other film makers you enjoy. Petrolicious for example on Youtube (which you already know of course), consistently put out quality shorts : often just a few minutes long, but packed with storytelling cinematic goodness!

This video from Motorcar Studios (one I've posted here on the forum before), is a great example . . . and employs all of the techniques mentioned above, and more.

All the best, and good luck for Shelsley and Curborough this weekend! 

Cheers, Deggers

3 hours ago, Deggers said:

Having an extra cameraman along for the ride

10 hours ago, foster461 said:

Personally, I'm happy if people strap on a camera and upload the video. The shots of the cars and the local roads are priceless.

Stan and Deggers, I agree. Totally. Both are priceless. Petrolicious shorts could not be done without a crew and a second car. I am also grateful to H for bothering. Sometimes, there just isn't enough time available. But still, the sound of a TR is priceless. This is slotting into the thread about still camera shots. We could start a new thread, what say you, Deggers?

38 minutes ago, DavidBee said:

Stan and Deggers, I agree. Totally. Both are priceless. Petrolicious shorts could not be done without a crew and a second car. I am also grateful to H for bothering. Sometimes, there just isn't enough time available. But still, the sound of a TR is priceless. This is slotting into the thread about still camera shots. We could start a new thread, what say you, Deggers?

I had the same thought about a social scene film thread. 
I have some films my dad made after he gave up racing his Cooper jap twin when us kids came along. 
I’ll do a 1960 one now as I have just converted it to mp4

2 hours ago, Hamish said:

I’ll do a 1960 one now as I have just converted it to mp4

Excellent! +1 LIKE :)

23 hours ago, Deggers said:

Motorcar Studios (one I've posted here on the forum before), is a great example . . . and employs all of the techniques mentioned above, and more.

Totally, Deggers!

Your example is also excellent.

The addition of a third track for (intriguing, well chosen) instrumental music finishes it off (so you have action sound, voiceover and instrumental) I think opening and closing frames definitely helps shift from video to film short.

I was thinking this over, and asking myself, what is it exactly, that I find really motivating and shareable?

The shift is a shift in thinking the moving image, in the difference between snapshot and cinematic shot, the shot. You see it, you visualize it, you make it "happen".

In my opinion, you allow yourself the luxury of creative freedom which allows you to express yourself more, further, and with greater subtlety.

The voiceover avoids being pompous,  while making heady statements about driving a vintage motorcar. Excellent script, carefully worded, succinct.

All done in little over two minutes. And yet, it is, to all intents and purposes, a short film, not a vid.

I think we are all so automatically overwhelmed by Hollywood and its fun and games, that we don't realize it has appropriated filmmaking. But no. You can do guerilla filmmaking, zero-budget filmmaking, and many people do, just for fun. Once you get your head round it, you begin to realize what you can do.

Thanks to digital filmmaking, there is no need to buy expensive celluloid these days nor videotape. You can even find stock, copyright-free music and sounds!

Edited by DavidBee
Typo

Very enjoyable.

8 minutes ago, TwinCamJohn said:

Have to say I found the Jaguar vidéo a bit pretentious. OK it was publicité for the auction but a car with a number on the side driven by a bloke in a ski masque making a bit of a dust cloud, left me unmoved. I fear I am in the minority.

:)No, I see your point. You have a point, in fairness. It's not black and white.

2 hours ago, TwinCamJohn said:

...a car with a number on the side driven by a bloke in a ski masque...

!!! Brilliant !!!

Although I think it's called "Artistic licence."

(I believe you can buy one at your local postoffice.)

Charlie.

I also think that when you begin to give a short film a shape, carefully considering what footage you have got and what you might still need to get, you also take the trouble to consider the signs it produces, the associations it creates, depending on clothes, background, absolutely anything that falls within the frame.

Five years ago, I interviewed a filmmaker who was once Antonioni's assistant director. A let me set up a shot. Then took a look.

There was a branch sticking out on one side which the assistant had failed to notice. The lesson was that anything and everything in the frame had to be there because it had a reason to be there.

That's the visual, painterly, equivalent of what the British war poet, forgotten these days, remarked. He said every word has to work for its place in the line.

My point being that I would not have opted for a ski mask in the frame. But it would have been a deliberate choice. Leaving it open to justifiable criticism.

Edited by DavidBee
Conclusion missing