There's a plethora of oil coolers available and I'm at a loss to decide which type works/fits best.  I've currently got a Revotec -push' fan fitted but thinking of swopping it to a suction/pull type and then make space for oil cooler.  Anyone had good or bad experiences with coolers and can recommend a good make/supplier would be much appreciated?  Philip

Which TR?

My TR6 doesn't have a cooler but I fitted an electrical oil temp gauge through the sump plug.

It rarely gets above 85 deg C, and that's when stuck in traffic on a hot day. Pressing on on the open road, oil temp is about 70C in warm weather. I question the need for an oil cooler on road going 6 cylinder TRs. Can't speak for the 4 cylinder engines.

I can't comment on the accuracy of my oil temp gauge but the engine shows no signs of the oil getting too hot. Pressure remains good and oil consumption is negligible.

By contrast, my GT6 does benefit from an oil cooler. But then the engine bay is cramped and the water radiator is marginal for size.

Nigel

Hi Philip

Unless your oil is hitting 100-110 for long periods of time on track why bother, 70-85 seems sensible for a road car. Personally I'd save my money and change the oil more often if your worried about it degrading due to heat.

Just my opinion.

Andy

I had one on my 3a when I bought it. 
it started weeping so fitted one of these it was a direct replacement 

AeroLine 13 Row Alloy Oil Cooler 1/2" BSP Fast Road & Race UNIVERSAL 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151849862565

That's some interesting responses and it's propmted me to re-think, perhaps a temp gauge might be the first line of attack for my TR250.  It has triple webers with a Stage 2 head so I'm anticipating it might get hot and hence the idea of an oil cooler.  

Definitely worth fitting an oil temp gauge , not only will it probably show you an oil cooler is not necessary for normal or fast road use but will also indicate when your oil is warm enough to extend your engine from cold .A longer time than you might think . I removed my oil cooler after fitting a gauge .My cooler did not have a stat fitted in line .        Chris

If you measure the oil temp in the sump, near the plug, you will notice temp varies between 60-80°C.

Temperature at Oil filter (Spin On with Thermostat connection) must be higher. Oil Thermostat (Mocal) opens at 80°. With this in mind, one could argue, if the oil stat is not opening anyways, one could leave the cooler out. If the oil stat opens, one could leave the cooler in. Provided Thermostat is installed. I would not install a cooler without thermostat.

I will leave mine in....just for the reason, that I have a tuned engine. I cannot claim however, any advantage or disadvantage.

Jochem

Sorry me for that:

in my opinion a lot modifications on our TRs are not needed,

they are only the expectation of the owner of not existing problems and not possible benefits.

Some of them bring other or more problems, like this was currently discussed about Wilwood brake calipers.

Edited by Z320

To add to my oil temperature observations earlier in this thread...

I've just been to MoT the TR6 and decided (after passing) to take the long way home. This included 20 miles of M-way and fast dual carriageway, driven at around the legal limit with an external temp of 32-33C. The oil temp gauge showed a maximum of 85C, the highest I've seen when moving at speed. To me, that confirms that the TR6 is fine for road use without an oil cooler.

Nigel

My TR3 had an oil cooler once, it used to do hill climbs and sprints with the PO. He installed it along with a oil temperature gauge. The oil cooler kept leaking and was ditched. The temperature gauge remains and the oil temperature has only once reached anywhere near 100 on a rally stage in the Black-forest involving hills :D in 36 degree weather. It usually sits at 70; 80 at most and is a useful gauge to have IMO.

So unless you’re planning to do what Hamish does or similar, I’d think hard about installing a cooler, unless you enjoy chasing leaks!

A sucker fan vs a puller fan is a different story. And there are several threads on that subject on here. Doing that might satisfy your tinkering gene enough to keep it recessive until a real mechanical issue appears. ;)

Few years back on my way home from the German national TR meeting I stopped to help a Scottish chap at the side of the Autobahn in a GT6, one of the hoses to his oil cooler had split transfering the oil from his engine to the nearside front tyre and brake. He was lucky to have noticed that the oil pressure had dropped and had not wrecked the engine.

As Z320 said most of the modifications to these cars are not necessary, Triumph were no muggs when it came to building cars they did it for a long time.

George 

1 hour ago, Ben Freer said:

So unless you’re planning to do what Hamish does or similar, I’d think hard about installing a cooler, unless you enjoy chasing leaks!

Ben you and others may be right.

i only have mine because it was fitted by PO. I haven’t a clue as to what temps I reach but won’t be much on the short competitive runs I do. It’ll be hotter on the runs I do on the road like today. See my road trip video.

i also use a good oil which I hope makes a difference. 

( after fitting my alternator I fitted a volt meter and have come to the conclusion too many meters and gauges  is just more things to worry about.)

5 minutes ago, Hamish said:

Ben you and others may be right.

i only have mine because it was fitted by PO. I haven’t a clue as to what temps I reach but won’t be much on the short competitive runs I do. It’ll be hotter on the runs I do on the road like today. See my road trip video.

i also use a good oil which I hope makes a difference. 

( after fitting my alternator I fitted a volt meter and have come to the conclusion too many meters and gauges  is just more things to worry about.)

I think an oil temperature gauge is one of the more useful additions, Hamish. Certainly for continental touring and rallies in high summer temperatures, which is what floats our boat!

Back in the 1960s, I had a pocketed bulb-type temperature gauge lying about (similar to the water temperature gauge on the TR2/3), and I fitted the pocket into a brass sump plug of my TR2.

When changing the oil, I just unscrewed the bulb from its pocket before removing the sump plug.

Although the old TR2 regularly cruised the M1 at about 100mph (legal then), the oil temperature did not get high enough to worry me.

Ian Cornish

I have an oil cooler on my supercharged TR6 because the supercharger puts more heat into the engine. It has a thermostatic valve and my observation is that the valve is open on motorway runs and in traffic. It switches in and out in cool weather when cruising on A roads. 

Cheers Tim 

It seems the general views are that I will NOT fit an oil cooler unless racing over the Grossglockner Pass but WILL fit an oil temperature gauge. Just sourced an original Smith's black bezel Oil Temp gauge (arrives in 2 days) and just have to establish where/how to fit it!! (any ideas?).  Thanks to all again.

42 minutes ago, Farley Green said:

It seems the general views are that I will NOT fit an oil cooler unless racing over the Grossglockner Pass but WILL fit an oil temperature gauge. Just sourced an original Smith's black bezel Oil Temp gauge (arrives in 2 days) and just have to establish where/how to fit it!! (any ideas?).  Thanks to all again.

Remove the rheostat from dash enlarge hole and fit it there?

Andy 

Andy/Rich - The idea of using an enlraged hole had crossed my mind so thanks  for that

.  Currently,  there is just the knob (I believe)  there as the previous owner fitted 'blue' LED lights (not to my liking) so the reostat isn't in place (had thought of fitting an analogue clock though!).  Philip