New tyres

There was still plenty of tread on my tyres but when i noticed that the tyres were 12 years old it was time to change them.After a lot of research i decided to go with Continental Conti 165-80-15 at £62.00 each the original TR6 size for UK cars.What a difference the new tyres made  its like driving a different car ,the steering is lighter and the car  handles much better.

I must agree it certainly put a smile on my face when I did mine last year.

What prompted me was a front end slide at fairly low speed fortunately on a wet road, I had put the previous set on the car but had lost track of how long ago it was plenty of tread but just to old.

George 

56 minutes ago, pcw64 said:

There was still plenty of tread on my tyres but when i noticed that the tyres were 12 years old it was time to change them.After a lot of research i decided to go with Continental Conti 165-80-15 at £62.00 each the original TR6 size for UK cars.What a difference the new tyres made  its like driving a different car ,the steering is lighter and the car  handles much better.

Humm, 12 years old, mine are 21 years old, but plenty of tread (haven't done many miles).

Do I have a problem?

Colin.

34 minutes ago, c.hydes said:

Humm, 12 years old, mine are 21 years old, but plenty of tread (haven't done many miles).

Do I have a problem?

Indeed you do Colin. Those will not be at all roadworthy as the compound will by now be more like wood than rubber and the grip will be severely compromised. Your insurance company would not be at all happy.  It is recommended that tyres should be replaced every 6 years or so regardless of wear. 

Edited by RobH

I agree with RobH,21 years old tyres are far to old to be safe and the rubber will be very hard against a new tyre .My MOT station told me the Gov have already made it a mot a failure for  commercials with tyres over 10 years old and he said very soon it could apply to private  cars.

After all the time and effort we all put into our cars why put it at risk for the 2 or 3 hundred quid every few years for new tyres?

My little slide was a real wake up, it's new tyres for me every 5 or 6 years

George 

+1. I had exactly the same experience on a set of P6 Pirellis. Looked in good condition, no cracks & plenty of tread but a   sudden loss of grip made me realise how bad 20 year old rubber is. Changed them out last year & went back to 165’s, best £250 you’ll spend.

Alan

+1

Removing the Pirelli 205's and replacing them with Hankook 165's was one of the best improvements I've made to my car.  Much quieter, smoother riding and more responsive make it a lot nicer car to drive!

Gavin

I just replace my TR2 tyres, one pair 12 years old and the other 6 years old.

Different car. Well worth spending money on new tyres every 6-8 years.

When I bought my 3 some 8 years ago it had 4 apparently good tyres with good tread. About 6 months into ownership I was out for a drive with my local group when the car developed a pronounced vibration. Checked engine mountings etc but then noticed all 4 tyres had developed bulges in the walls and had deformed.

Tyres good for about 6 years so I have been told.

If you want good value from your tyres, clock up the miles and wear them out!

Tim

Another owner going from 205's to 165's here, feels like a different car, much more comfortable and handling feels better. 

Gareth

6 hours ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

Another owner going from 205's to 165's here, feels like a different car, much more comfortable and handling feels better. 

Gareth

I think we might have a bit of a trend going on...long may it continue!

10 hours ago, Yarm 783 said:

I think we might have a bit of a trend going on...long may it continue!

I agree, I find TR's fitted with low profile tyres just doesn't look right anymore. 

4 minutes ago, Mk2 Chopper said:

I agree, I find TR's fitted with low profile tyres just doesn't look right anymore. 

They never have looked right, if you drop the ground clearance under chassis to 3" and adjust the wheels so they lift up into the wheelarches and put racing roundels on them they look fine, although raised manholes and kerbs can be a problem lol.

Mick Richards

On 8/11/2020 at 7:29 PM, c.hydes said:

Do I have a problem?

Colin.

Thanks to all who replied advising that I should change my 21 year old tyres which I will do. I have some questions please.

My wheels are 8 spoke 15 inch "minilite alloy lookalikes", and I believe that are from the Moss Minitor range, however there are no markings of size. All that is marked is: 15J/MADE IN UK/S.C.P/and a logo that looks like IKNI. At present my tyres are Yokahama A-509, 185 x 65 x 15. My questions are:

1. Can anyone confirm what make are they, and is the rim size 5 or 5 1/2J.

2. What is the maximum width of tyre that I can put on these rims, and what are the pros & cons of say 195 ?

Cheers, Colin.

If the spokes blend into the flat of the rim they will be 5 1/2" if the spokes blend into the upright section they will be 6"

Compare the pictures here:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/road-wheels-tyres-roadside-equipment/road-wheels-tyres-fittings/minator-8-spoke-alloy-wheels-tr2-4a.html

I'd fit the standard size 165/80 15 tyres for a nicer ride with predictable handling.

Edited by Drewmotty
53 minutes ago, Drewmotty said:

If the spokes blend into the flat of the rim they will be 5 1/2" if the spokes blend into the upright section they will be 6"

Compare the pictures here:

https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/road-wheels-tyres-roadside-equipment/road-wheels-tyres-fittings/minator-8-spoke-alloy-wheels-tr2-4a.html

I'd fit the standard size 165/80 15 tyres for a nicer ride with predictable handling.

Thanks Drewmonty, yes that explains it. J6 seem to be marked as such but 5 1/2J are not just "15J" for some reason, mine are therefore 5 1/2J.

My spare Minator  wheel has a 195 x 65 x 15 tyre on it, so is that safe?

Colin.

The size will suit the rim width and the extra tread width will give you more ultimate grip but make the handling less predictable. Stick with 165 unless you intend to compete and are good enough to  exploit the extra grip........I know that I’m not :-(

Going against the grain a bit. Have tried both 165s and 195s and the latter are much more sure footted and seem to be less likely to slide on extreme braking. I took the 195s over the alps and following a 6 on 165s it was clear that they were experiencing both understeer and oversteer on hairpins while we were experiencing neither, and this was with the supercharger.

I'd always go with grip  and stay within the extremes then have to contend with slip, even if it feels like fun..

Tim

1 hour ago, Yarm 783 said:

I think in the US, 185 was the standard spec, perhaps that might be a good compromise?

I do a bit of continental touring, or will when this epidemic is over and used to run 185s but realised that if I split a tyre in the middle of rural France the likelihood of getting a replacement off the shelf would be unlikely, so changed to 195s which are very common and used on things like Mondeos. The price is also reasonable 

George 

1 hour ago, harlequin said:

I do a bit of continental touring, or will when this epidemic is over and used to run 185s but realised that if I split a tyre in the middle of rural France the likelihood of getting a replacement off the shelf would be unlikely, so changed to 195s which are very common and used on things like Mondeos. The price is also reasonable 

George 

+1

When I purchased my car (2.5pi saloon) it had 185/65/14 Yokohama tyres fitted. When I replaced the steel wheels for genuine 6x14 minilite wheels, I bit the bullet and fitted 175/14 michelin XAS tyres. ...

cant recommend highly enough!! Done around 200 miles this weekend, yesterday was dry and bright and the grip is amazing. Today been out again and it’s raining, roads awash and the handing and grip was superb!!!

yes they are not cheap but it’s the only things keeping your car attached to the road...

in 185/15, the Pirelli cinturato tyres are brilliant!

tom