TR6 Non Starter

Any help or advice would be appreciated. 

TR6 that wont start.

Washed sunday afternoon and reversed into garage afterwards but went too far back.

Jumped back in to pull forward a bit and nothing.   

Turn the ignition key I have petrol pump running and dash lights etc and all seems to be normal.  Turn the key to 3rd position and nothing at all.  Starter motor does not turn over at all so I don't think anything to do with battery.

Where to start? 

New to owning a classic so any advice appreciated. 

30 minutes ago, Michael Lewis said:

Any help or advice would be appreciated. 

TR6 that wont start.

Washed sunday afternoon and reversed into garage afterwards but went too far back.

Jumped back in to pull forward a bit and nothing.   

Turn the ignition key I have petrol pump running and dash lights etc and all seems to be normal.  Turn the key to 3rd position and nothing at all.  Starter motor does not turn over at all so I don't think anything to do with battery.

Where to start? 

New to owning a classic so any advice appreciated. 

Hi Micheal, either give the starter motor a quick sharp thump or give the electrical contacts on the starter a spray of electrical contact spray or even WD40. I’ve had a similar problem and the spray cured it. Or try rocking the car in gear say 3rd to dislodge if stuck.

If your fuel pump keeps running normally when trying to start it’s likely not the battery.
I would start with Kev’s tests.

There a wires connected to the starter motor: one thick red (Together with a couple of others) and a thinner one. Check if they are loose, and carefully tighten. It is a copper bolt they are fitted to.

Next step is electrical testing, starter motor still installed.

Waldi

If none of the above advices work you have to check the contact done withe the key... sometimes it is dead

Edited by Jctr6EFI72
10 hours ago, Jctr6EFI72 said:

If none of the above advices work you have to check the contact done with the key... sometimes it is dead

What year is your car? CP or CR? On CR types the White /red wire from s/w to solenoid can give trouble as I have had this trouble in the past? The insulation gets cooked by the exhaust and starts to fall off and the copper conductor also degrades!

Bruce.

It is probably the solenoid sticking, It may have just stuck or it could be time for a new starter if it happens repeatedly

At least you know the cure. :rolleyes:

kc

Edited by kcsun
spelling

Hi Michael.

If you end up having to change the starter motor, then I would suggest fitting a Hi Torque up-rated starter motor.    I fitted one to my 1971 CP TR6 (from TRGB - no commercial connection) and have had no issues. 

Regards ...> Alan

TR6 side-rear.JPG

12 hours ago, Michael Lewis said:

All just to let you know, short sharp tap of the starter motor worked.

Glad appears to have been an easy fix.

Does this mean I have an issue with the starter motor or is it just one of those things?

Many thanks, your input was very much appreciated. 

Glad you got it sorted, keep an eye on it and go from there.

15 hours ago, Alan Gill said:

Hi Michael.

If you end up having to change the starter motor, then I would suggest fitting a Hi Torque up-rated starter motor.    I fitted one to my 1971 CP TR6 (from TRGB - no commercial connection) and have had no issues. 

Regards ...> Alan

TR6 side-rear.JPG

+1 for this upgrade.