ADVICE ON BLOWER MOTOR

Hi everyone,

I hope this finds you all well.

I would greatly appreciate feedback on whether or not this fan motor looks compatible with a TR4.  Smiths unit FHM4342/01. 06/86 possibly [long shot 06/66]. Does it look a good bet?

Best wishes    Willie

P1130568.JPG

P1130569.JPG

P1130571.JPG

• 5 weeks later...

Hi

Unhelpfully - I recall swapping the fan motor on my '4 - but with a modern substitute unit from (perhaps) Revington/Moss. It was designed for MG, but of course fits. This was eons ago, but it did literally blow the originals' gentle breeze away. In other words - a demister that demists. The down side was the Mortgage level of price.

Adrian the Unhelpful

That fan looks a lot like the one I pulled out of my heater box.....

i replaced it with a SPAL fan, a much cheaper approach than some of the commercially-available upgrades. Details are in this thread:

Maybe the rest of your car hasn’t got enough rattles or knocks :) 

mine is great - although I did use tight-fitting closed-cell foam all round the fan as shown in the second-last photo (30th May) on page 2 of the thread - so that could be helping.

....... Andy 

Hi Roger,

I figured that anything moving inside a thin-walled tin box should be cushioned, and i didn't fancy taking it out again too soon :)  - i think i used 2mm thickness and just trimmed the width so that it was a nice snug fit throughout the circumference of the fan casing - it will be very obvious when you take a closer look and the photograph i provided should explain better than my words.

cheers.... Andy

On 8/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, Willie said:

Hi everyone,

I hope this finds you all well.

I would greatly appreciate feedback on whether or not this fan motor looks compatible with a TR4.  Smiths unit FHM4342/01. 06/86 possibly [long shot 06/66]. Does it look a good bet?

Best wishes    Willie

You've probably replaced it by now but just in case, yes the fan motor looks pretty much identical to the one in your pics.

On 8/11/2020 at 1:43 PM, Willie said: