Neighbours and out door work

I have had the TR out on the drive for  many weeks while the weather is  so warm and I am self isolating. I have changed the springs  all round, new exhaust , door adjustment and gear  selectors overhauled , and lots more . It is starting on the button now. 

My family are not interested and I enjoy the garage time. However two neighbours came over and had a look. Luckily they were not upset and  soon left as I was explaining my problems. I took a picture which I will post later .

Richard & B.

Hi Richard.

as an ex EHO ( noise police) i can say that there are no restrictive hours for working on your own car at a domestic premises inside or out.

its the noise that is the issue.

the local council EHO's are busy folk who are not out looking for work.  but they must react to any complaints. typically they would write top the accused noise maker explaining the issue, the complainant details are confidential.

you have the opportunity tout your side. it is typical that the complainant will be required to keep a diary of the offending noise - time and date.

some councils allow recordings to be uploaded to a complaint log.

for a council to take formal action the noise would need to be loud ( eg over the sound of a neighbours TV, disturb sleep (at night and windows can be open) frequent and prolonged. lots of power tools and /or  hammering and/or engine revving .

on the whole you shouldn't worry.

and I'm here to help if anyone needs similar advice.

H

Richard

Roger has totally rebuilt two TRs out on our drive in the last 25 years and maintains them both out there as there is not enough room to do so in our garage. I have always been very aware that the people living opposite may not have liked what they were having to look at but none of them ever complained.

When I was restoring the 250 my neighbour opposite went round the neighbours with a petition to stop me working.

Luckily some of the neighbours have classic cars and she wasn’t very popular so it never got off the ground.

We've only just started speaking after 10 years

Nigel

19 minutes ago, SuzanneH said:

I have always been very aware that the people living opposite

That was my point, considering one’s neighbour. I tend to stop around 6.30 pm if it involves running the Engine and 9ish it it doesn’t. A little  later if in the garage avoiding early morning before 9am.

2 hours ago, SuzanneH said:

...the people living opposite may not have liked what they were having to look at but none of them ever complained...

Well.. if you were confronted by a man wearing  a dead chicken on his head, and holding a hammer in his hand, would you make any sort of complaint?

Charlie.

58 minutes ago, Charlie D said:

Well.. if you were confronted by a man wearing  a dead chicken on his head, and holding a hammer in his hand, would you make any sort of complaint?

Charlie.

It’s not a dead chicken, it’s a Martian not frightening at all,

looking at the carpet and working out which one of them supplied the wool -2018 was a good year for flossy.

Well done Richard, returning to normal in this place  I hope.

• 1 month later...

Another neighbour arrived this morning. He managed to leave his home turf by lifting the gate off the hinges. I will look for him again when I need a hand with the engine/gearbox

IMG_0471 (2).JPG