I need to cover the open roof of an old pottery building. I have tried a tarpaulin from the local builders merchants but it did not last and heavy winds and a few months of use,  contributed to it breaking up into small bits.

I need something self supporting , over 1.0m , and UV resistant. It will have to last a some months. Can anyone make a suggestion ?

Thanks Richard & B.

Heavy duty Tarpaulin sheeting, would do as a temporary fix although I’m with Roger ply with mineral felt is more permanent fix, be sure you allow ample overlap with the felt. What type of roof pitch or flat.

You also you mentioned 1m span, couldn’t you add additional supports?

56DA720F-394D-4C47-9B18-7EC0FC284258.png

Edited by Misfit

I have just done a roof in fiberglass as I was feed up with replacing felt, I found a kit on t'interweb that would do 10 square meters which came with preformed profiles for the edges and the tools required for just under £300.

I am very pleased with the result and ofcourse it can be patched should there be any problems in the future 

George 

Edited by harlequin

The building is 7.3 m long and 3.7 wide with a shallow double pitch roof only rising 920 mm at the ridge. It will be demolished  as soon as we have planning. This may well be at the end of this year. The answer is only short term and plywood, torch on felt etc are over budget. The fibreglass roof is a good answer but the weather has to be right on the preceding week.

A roll of damp proof membrane would be quick to fit and cost effective but will the UV rays destroy it before Christmas. I had two rubble bags from the local builders merchant in the garden and after two years the plastic has no strength. I hope that the DPM will be stronger.

Any other suggestions welcome.

Richard & B

The shed has an "open roof"?  Meaning collapsed?

If there are any roof members, then stapling a cover to them will inhibit the flapping that destroys a covering fabric and make it last longer.    OK, hole in the cover, but only seepage.

John

Richard 

I am afraid that as you want very cheap your options are restricted to a tarpaulin. To stop it flapping and ripping in high wind you could try laying the tarp over the roof and then screwing /nailing somthing like roofing batons over the top and around the edges 

George 

Buy 50x25 battons secure top and bottom With slight overhang and throw a tarpaulin over them. Tuck tarpaulin under ends and Staple. 

When you dismantle the shed you can normally find a use for a tarpaulin and they fold up for easy storage. 

Found Camouflage Tarpaulin - 9.0m x 5.0m (29'6" x 16'5")

£46.49 Sawn battons £0.35 per Metre 

Ps

Sorry read this earlier started Typing got waylaid now see George has already suggested the same, Agree tacking Battons over the top to secure.

Edited by Misfit