Radiator duct fitting.

Have not got the radiator duct yet, going to order it today if new supplies have arrived at the usual places (were out of stock). Can this be fitted after the front shroud is fitted or does it need to be fitted first?

Ralph.

9 minutes ago, Ian Vincent said:

If it is a cardboard one, it probably can be retrofitted but it would be a lot harder than fitting it before you fit the shroud. 

Rgds Ian

PS I sealed my cardboard duct with waterproof PVA before I fitted it. 

Thanks Ian, it is a cardboard item and luckily it was in stock so I should have it in a couple of days so I will be able to fit it first.

Ralph

Hi Ralph

The cardboard duct can be fitted with the front metal shroud in place. Straightforward job. Some years ago discovered that my 3A did not have a duct. Removed bumper, disconnected and removed side / indicator lights, removed grille, removed arms from wheel arches to top of bumper overriders. You can then position the cardboard duct in the space. Secured by overrider arms. I also secured the base of the duct to the shroud floor using tape. The vertical sides of the duct opening rest on the front edges of the radiator otherwise air is forced between duct and radiator.

I painted mine body colour and like Ian, then sealed with PVA. 

Miles

17 minutes ago, rcreweread said:

Ralph - see the attached post in the for sale under £250 forum:

Go towards the bottom of page 2 and look for the response and photos from Ed 3625

Cheers  Rich

I would, but once again I find myself locked out of the members area. This time it is saying it cannot recognise my email address. 

It is a pain, I can come straight to here and post, but I have to go back to the main page and go through the log in process (if I am lucky) to connect to other aspects.

Ralph.

Ralph

Not cardboard - that would disintegrate in no time were it to get wet, which it will from time to time. 

It is fibreboard (I think that is the correct name).  Actually a very suitable material for this particular application, and, unlike a metal duct, unlikely to guillotine the radiator in the event of a frontal prang..

Ian Cornish

Ralph - I didn't think the "For Sale, Swap or Wanted, maximum value £250" forum was in a members area - it's on the same forum page as all the other forums - its the 4th forum above your TR2/3/3A forum 

However in case you cant get in, I have tried to copy and paste it here 

"ed3265

Posted June 6

Thanks Rich,

Well made and a very good fit.

On the TR3a, these can only be fitted with the front apron fitted, just the grille to be taken off.

Cheers

Ed

image.png.613ea95cc6e2f96d8aa807d2315482de.png

image.png.299120d63626339879f68cb8f6f47b14.png

image.png.db405fcada555c819ac343c3eecd450f.png

Posted June 6

Thanks Ed - that's really helpful as a number of people have asked about the fitting of this in the context of the front apron so now we have it on good authority that it doesn't need to be removed.

Looks like you have an interesting car from the brief glimpses in the photos!!

Cheers Rich"

Background was ed3265 bought an alloy cowl for his 3 from me, as per this photo 

image.png.984446aacf309250e068958d364f8c38.png

Hope this helps

Cheers Rich

Unfortunately no, it says open to members only. I am a member, have been for 5 or 6 years, and I did contact the head office about 3 months ago and I got access to the for sale section, but that seems to have lapsed again. Usually logging on in the main section works, but today it said it did not recognise my email address. Maybe the main computer has a corona virus !!.  I will try again tomorrow.

Meantime, your download worked and I can see the alloy radiator ducts. No price though. Anyway I have ordered the fibreboard ones now so will make do with those for the time being.

Thanks anyway, Ralph.

Ralph - I didn't include a price as I thought you had previously said you had already ordered  one so I wasn't trying to sell you one! However for future reference, they are £60 plus £7 postage.

I hope you get your access issues sorted soon and quickly because what you describe is not a very satisfactory state of affairs, and must be very frustrating.

Cheers Rich 

I had no problem fitting this on my TR3a with the apron already in place. The hardest part was figuring out all the folds and which direction all the folds need to be. We painted it body color to give it some additional protection and to make it blend in.

Stan

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/8/2020 at 9:01 AM, RogerH said:

Hi Steve,

Moss sell both the plastic tie wrap and the metal strap.

Item #80  https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/shop-by-model/triumph/tr2-4a/brake-system/brake-controls-hydraulics/brake-pipes-girling-system-tr2-4a-1953-67.html

On the metal strap the free end slides into the split pin (on the end of the strap)  and then the pin is ratated to tighten.

Roger

On 11/7/2013 at 7:13 PM, Andy Brady said:

Is there any available option to the bent tin one?

On 3/29/2020 at 11:59 AM, AlanT said:

I make two-speed replicas all the time.  I often have one listed on eBay. I've made quite a few using the NOS B90 service spares.

You want a resistance of 10 Ohms in series with the field coil.  You can do this with a fixed resistor that can handle 5W.  Or like Lucas you can overwind with resistance wire.

A fixed resistor will cost less than a pound.  A coil of resistance wire more like £20.

I swap the end-caps as you suggest.  But there is no need to do this.  It's just appearance.  You can just make a small hole on the end cap and bring out one extra wire.  I did the same thing in CRT motors for TR2's. Worked fine.

A Lotus Elan motor used an external rheostat to get continuously variable speed.  But a fixed external resistor would be more reliable.

Don't exceed 10 Ohm.  As you weaken the field it reduces the torque and you may have difficulty starting up.

6WA motors are getting very scarce and Maserati and Ferrari owners are paying a lot for them, I should think twice before breaking one.

Oh I forgot to say that the cut-out for the wires on a 6WA maybe in the "wrong" place and there may be a thermal cut-out, neither of which matters very much.  You will need good soldering skills though because there is not much room in there for the wires.

You will of course need to find the correct switch.

On 8/11/2020 at 5:52 PM, Ralph Whitaker said:

Unfortunately no, it says open to members only. I am a member, have been for 5 or 6 years, and I did contact the head office about 3 months ago and I got access to the for sale section, but that seems to have lapsed again. Usually logging on in the main section works, but today it said it did not recognise my email address. Maybe the main computer has a corona virus !!.  I will try again tomorrow.

Meantime, your download worked and I can see the alloy radiator ducts. No price though. Anyway I have ordered the fibreboard ones now so will make do with those for the time being.

Thanks anyway, Ralph.

i have the same problem been a member for 6 months and have had no access ,haven't even had a response to my email requesting acess 

ROGER

Attached is a photo of the water pipe strap. These are, i believe, period  correct and are aluminum  very easy to take off , the Roadster list the item and the cheap to get posted to the UK I use a split section of thin rubber tube along the water pipe and secure using the strap ..looks quite  neat 

strap.jpg

• 3 months later...
2 hours ago, RobH said:

".....then sealed with PVA"|. 

Polyvinyl acetate  David.   Commonly known as "white wood-glue". 

Trust me, I wouldn't have known that if we were all into carpentry! :lol:

Don't feel so stupid now.  Three people I asked that should know what PVA is didn't.

Thank you.

Edited by David Owen