TR6 - Installing an Overdrive Unit

I am fitting a J Type overdrive to my (USA original) J Type gearbox and will need a sensor to enusre it will only work on 3rd and 4th.

1. Has anyone a photo of where the O/drive sensor should go for 3rd an 4th detection?

2. As my box has the USA neutral sensor, can I use that by moving it to the 3rd / 4th location (blocking up the old place, of course).

3. What is the sensor thread size?

Thanks.

I don't actually know, probably the best way to check is with the part number perhaps. May work the opposite way check with a volt meter.  N/O (normally open) or  N/C (normally closed).

John

On 8/11/2020 at 12:56 PM, John L said:

... check is with the part number perhaps.

Oh Yes, stupid me.

Whilst the Bentley article shows approximately where to place 3rd / 4th sensor, anyone have the actrual location reference measurements?

I had the same task to do and decided not to put the 3/4 gear switch in the position described in the Buckeyes document.  I just milled the elevation in the front center to get an oil-tight surface and set the hole in the middle.  I found the passage shown in the Buckeyes document too difficult.  If photos are needed, I try to upload them.

Harald

Richard

I've attached the details for the A type gearbox cover which will be the same, further down the article it shows a picture of the neutral lockout switch, would appear to be the same thread as the switches.

https://static1.squarespace.com/static/5c6dec53b10f25d4edf0b3f7/t/5d019590f90de40001aacd9b/1560384913595/Gearbox+Cover.pdf

Hope that helps.

John

John. Thanks for the second link. I'm about to take off the top cover anyway so it should be obvious where the exact location is from the selector(s) underneath.

Seems overdrice switch is the same as the reversing light switch so I can work it out from that when I start the work very soon.