(sport) exhaust recommendation TR 2 ?

Hi There,

I have bought my TR 2 with a (Moss TT5001)) GT Sport exhaust System. It is the early product in mild steel (later replaced by stainless steel)

Something came loose inside the silencer and the nice roaring now comes with a annoying rattle.

I would like to just replace by a new stainless one, but unfortunately the GT system  is not produced any more....

Well, I do not want to buy an exhaust System without having any idea how it sounds and appreciated any community Input and recommendation.

I do not want to have it too noisy, but appreciated a little bit of a roar...

I am thinking about going for a Phoenix System (PXS5001) may be in combination with an Extractor manifold (PXTH400).

Any experience and Input ?

Cheers

Oliver

Revington offer a good sturdy stainless steel one, not the cheapest, which needs a bit of patience until it soots up and makes the right noise - for me. I’ve had mine for at least 15 years and am satisfied. I should add that it is fitted to an ‘extractor’ manifold.

james

Edited by james christie
1 hour ago, james christie said:

Revington offer a good sturdy stainless steel one, not the cheapest, which needs a bit of patience until it soots up and makes the right noise - for me. I’ve had mine for at least 15 years and am satisfied. I should add that it is fitted to an ‘extractor’ manifold.

james

"soots up" explains why my TR2 sounds softer now after a couple of years driving with a stainless system (TR Shop) than it sounded with brand new system, or maybe it's my hearing that is worse now ;)

I bought a new front box for my 3a and it cost £65.00. Unfortunately it did not fit and I had to fit and remove 3 times and take it to a local exhaust workshop.

It was well made and too long with the wrong offset to the front pipe.. It is now working well .

Send me a pm if you need to know where it came from. 

Richard & B.

I run a simple 18 inch mild steel silencer, per factory for the early TR2. In today’s world, the throaty rort is just right for me.  Back in the day it was deemed too noisy - so a second one was added on later 2s.  The single silencer also breathes better and fits really neatly in the space it was designed for.

cheers

Dan

Edited by 2long

Sorry to butt in as mine is a TR3 but I've recently installed a standard mild steel system on it, which incidentally I found hard to source. The Moss mild steel front pipe didn't fit (they graciously refunded my purchase) and I was lucky enough to find a NOS pipe which did. I used the Moss mild steel muffler and an off the shelf glasspack for the rear muffler.  I also used the TR4 cruciform hanger which works great. Sound is perfect to my ear and no vibrations or rattles.

Tom