Minilite wheels with spinners?

Seeking guidance and comments of what's avaialble for such wheels and any issues surrounding their fitment and/or use?  Philip

Do you mean these ?

available from Moss, nice wheels.

Mick Richards

gac8255xpic1_15.jpg

If you have wires now these will be a straight replacement. I have them and they’ve been great. Make sure whoever balances them for you has a proper set of balancing cones. 

Weight doesn't matter, these are decades old sports cars with chassis and bodywork weighing in at about 980 kgs upwards not 450 kg single seater race cars with all alloy bodies and spaceframe magnesium construction. I raced for 10 years using alloy, steel and then magnesium wheels that saved considerable weight per corner...couldn't tell a difference in handling with the magnesium's that I could convert into much  less time, they just lost air quicker due to porous castings, these are original magnesium Minilites on the TR4 in my avatar. 

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey
1 hour ago, jerrytr5 said:

Curious, it was one of the obvious differences when I replaced wires with alloys. Far less crashing & bashing. 

Jerry

That's a cosmetic difference Jerry, but the wheel being lighter is a technical difference and it is inherently linked against the weight of the car it is on. If it's on a thoroughbred stripped of every kilo racer being 10lb or whatever lighter on each corner matters to the dynamics and operation of it's suspension, if it's on a fat boy sports car the difference is almost indiscernible. You'll have real trouble turning your feel good factor of a lighter corner weight and wheel into fractions of time off the clock.

Your crashing and banging is all about a spoked wire wheel flexing and it's centre hub roaming around inside the wheel circumference whereas the Minilite is bolted to the hub (the lightest way) and the Minator wheel has a centre spinner and bolt arrangement on a Minilte like wheel (somewhat heavier but of no consequence). I think they look good and allow swapping between both wire and bolted wheel systems with the minimum of inconvenience.

Mick Richards

Edited by Motorsport Mickey

Here's what they can look like when used as winter wellies. i have since changed to knock on type to avoid having to strip off the splined hubs. They knock on ones look even better but no substitute for wires, but marginally less work to maintain.

Rod

new wellies.JPG

No issues at all but the steering is noticably more direct, no doubt for the reasons Mick set out above

Phil

NS Front corner DSC_0035-1.JPG