Sorry again for asking. But I found yet again the search engine useless. 

I am about to change the engune oil, and thanks to those who commented on engine oil. I have had a look and decided I. Ay as well do the gearbox oil. So whats the grade and whats the quantity. 

Thanks in advance. 

You would think after owning the car for 24 years I would be the guru on all this. Ha ha. No such luck. 

I've just typed gearbox oil in the search box, pressed enter, then selected the "gearbox oil" phrase option and a number of threads come up. The 4th in the list entitled Gearbox Oil on May 15th in the TR6 forum looks good. I use the GB40 oil described therein 

As before, if you simply google "gearbox oil TR forum" you will find this and more:

2 Litres is right. 

Just an update. I contacted a company in Germany, https://www.classic-car-shop.de/  as its closest to me, and have ordered penrite classic 20/50. 6 liter. I have also ordered 3 liter of penrite hearbox oil. 

Hopefully one last question. Can I use the same oil in the diff as the gearbox? 

42 minutes ago, murrayarnold said:

Just an update. I contacted a company in Germany, https://www.classic-car-shop.de/  as its closest to me, and have ordered penrite classic 20/50. 6 liter. I have also ordered 3 liter of penrite hearbox oil. 

I wouldn't - for the sliding friction in the hypoid gears you need a SAE90 GL5 oil ( the factory says GL4, but really, I find their recommendations a bit suspect these days- same as with the GB oil).

3 hours ago, murrayarnold said:

No, different oils. Go with what Mike C said above.

3 hours ago, murrayarnold said:

Hi, I use Penrite Mild EP as recommended by my Diff rebuilder.

4 hours ago, Mike C said:

I wouldn't - for the sliding friction in the hypoid gears you need a SAE90 GL5 oil ( the factory says GL4, but really, I find their recommendations a bit suspect these days- same as with the GB oil).

Hypoid cut gear teeth as in a TR gearbox and diff. need Hypoid oil as per the brown book! I am surprised that nobody has told us to use engine oil 20/50 as one of our group members did info from the gear box Guru and it finished off his O/D with a white froth from oil brake down that blocked up the oilways and a bill for £1250 to sort it out???? Therefore stick to Hypoid 80/90!

Bruce.

32 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Hypoid cut gear teeth as in a TR gearbox and diff. need Hypoid oil as per the brown book! I am surprised that nobody has told us to use engine oil 20/50 as one of our group members did info from the gear box Guru and it finished off his O/D with a white froth from oil brake down that blocked up the oilways and a bill for £1250 to sort it out???? Therefore stick to Hypoid 80/90!

Bruce.

Thanks Bruce

34 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

I am surprised that nobody has told us to use engine oil 20/50 as one of our group members did info from the gear box Guru and it finished off his O/D with a white froth from oil brake down that blocked up the oilways and a bill for £1250 to sort it out???? Therefore stick to Hypoid 80/90!

Bruce.

Hi Bruce,

ok, I will:

I have used engine oil in an MGB GB with OD,  I think it was per the WSM, which I normally follow.
But not in my TR!

Cheers,
Waldi

59 minutes ago, astontr6 said:

Bruce.

Probably half, if not more, of the TR6's in  the world don't use gear oil in the gearbox, they use various forms of engine oil.  Where are the hypoid gears in the TR6 gearbox?

Use GL5 in a gearbox and the synchros won't engage and it will probably jump out of gear due to the high surface friction additives used in GL5 ( this happened to me after a repair shop refilled the GB with GL5) -so I won't be using the same oil in the gearbox and diff.

But the GB oil  argument was ancient when I purchased my TR in the 1990's , most of us have  settled on an oil selection that's worked for the last 30, 40 or 50 years and won't be changing that now.

Just  I would never dream of using engine oil in a hypoid diff, or any other gearbox with hypoid action gears.

29 minutes ago, Mike C said:

Probably half, if not more, of the TR6's in  the world don't use gear oil in the gearbox, they use various forms of engine oil.  Where are the hypoid gears in the TR6 gearbox?

Use GL5 in a gearbox and the synchros won't engage and it will probably jump out of gear due to the high surface friction additives used in GL5 ( this happened to me after a repair shop refilled the GB with GL5) -so I won't be using the same oil in the gearbox and diff.

But the GB oil  argument was ancient when I purchased my TR in the 1990's , most of us have  settled on an oil selection that's worked for the last 30, 40 or 50 years and won't be changing that now.

Just  I would never dream of using engine oil in a hypoid diff, or any other gearbox with hypoid action gears.

There are various forms of hypoid gear tooth form and BL used another type hypoid gear tooth form in their gear boxes from the early 1960's in order to improve gear meshing and went over to hypoid oil GL4 and not GL5. This not the same tooth form as the diff on a TR. The Austin Mini gearbox also uses this type  tooth form, hence Mini engine original Castrol oil has hypoid in it and there fore enabled BL to combine an engine/gearbox together to use the same oil.

Bruce.

8 hours ago, astontr6 said:

There are various forms of hypoid gear tooth form and BL used another type hypoid gear tooth form in their gear boxes from the early 1960's in order to improve gear meshing and went over to hypoid oil GL4 and not GL5. This not the same tooth form as the diff on a TR. The Austin Mini gearbox also uses this type  tooth form, hence Mini engine original Castrol oil has hypoid in it and there fore enabled BL to combine an engine/gearbox together to use the same oil.

Bruce.

Your confusing spiral bevel gears with hypoid gears. A hypoid gearset has shafts that are non intersecting and non parallel:

https://www.motioncontroltips.com/hypoid-gearboxes-what-are-they-and-where-are-they-used/

In a motor vehicle differential this has the advantage that the propeller shaft can be lowered to below the axle C/L. It has a disadvantage in that the hyperboloid pitch circle's gear teeth have some sliding action (like a worm gear)- this sliding  action and high tooth pressure requires an  Extreme Pressure (EP) gear oil.

This could go on forever, but I believe Murrayarnold would be most unwise to use a non-EP engine oil in a TR6 diff.

Edited by Mike C
Link didn't work

engine oil in engines.        5/30 - 25/50 with or without suds for cleaning etc  Heritahe Classic Oil 20/50 works well - good level of ZDDP

Gear oil in Gearbox/OD     30, 40 50 SAE or possibly and EP 80 or 90 - however the EP is not the main benefit. Penrite GB40 works well.

Diff oil in the diff.                You need a suitably chunky oil to help withstand and dissipate heat. Definitely EP - EP 140 suits the bill

Old cars GL4

New cars GL5

Roger

Well. Glad all that's cleared up. Ha ha ha. Who would have thought eh. Anyway. I have ordered everthing from Germany. All Penrite classic oils. All being g DHLd to my door. 

Thanks guys for all the assistance. Youd think after owning classuc cars for 25 years I would be the one giving advice and not asking it. No such thing as a stupid question though. 

Thanks again

Well all the engine and gearbox oil arrived. And guess what, I couldn't get the bloody gearbox top up plug out. How glad am I that i never drained the old oil first. But I did get the engine oil and water all changed. 

20200812_095257.jpg

My last gearbox/OD  swap was done after 56K miles. Synchros and bearings were all fine but the O/D had become quite sluggish to engage.

SAE30W non-detergent motor oil is what I've been using this century, on the advice of Quantum Mechanics' John Esposito.

www.quantumechanics.com

Cheers,

Tom